The Diaries of a Time Traveller: The Day I Met Mona

Written in response to: Write a story about a character running late for a job interview.... view prompt

0 comments

LGBTQ+ Romance Adventure

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Dear Diary,

It all started in a crowded lift in the Empire State Building. I was on the way to the observation deck when a scuffed black loafer wedged itself between the lift doors. They jerked open to reveal a woman in a long, grey coat, her fingers clutched around the tattered handle of a brown briefcase. She squeezed in next to me, then gingerly slipped her arm through the gap between my body and the wall to press the button for floor sixty-six. The arm of her coat brushed against mine each time she glanced at her watch, something she did every three seconds.

"You seem worried," I said after the sixth time. She started, big brown eyes meeting mine. I swallowed, willing myself to act normal. "Can I help at all…?"

She scoffed. "Only if you can take me back in time about…" Seventh glance at her watch. "Six minutes."

"Oh?" I grinned inwardly. "What happened six minutes ago?"

"My job interview began."

"What's the job?"

"Head accountant for LinkedIn."

"Riveting," I said, then cringed. What if the beautiful woman in the grey coat enjoyed dull office jobs?

Her laugh dispelled my unease and made my heart skip a beat. "I know right?"

I held out a hand. "I'm Calliope."

"Mona," she said, shaking it. I'd barely opened my mouth when Mona rolled her eyes. "If you're going to make a Mona Lisa joke, please don't. I'm far too stressed to fake-laugh at one of those right now."

I chuckled. "Fair enough." Then, my heart racing, I said, "I think I can help."

Mona raised her eyebrows. "Really."

I fiddled with my silver watch, then held out my hand once more. "May I?"

Mona eyed me for a second, then took my hand, and I pressed the little blue button on my watch.

Mona gasped. We were stood out the front of the Empire State. The watch of a passer-by told me it was 13:26. Exactly ten minutes earlier. Bingo

"How did you—?" She stared between the building and me before jabbing her finger into my sternum. "You drugged me, didn't you?! My fault for trusting some random woman in the lift. I've missed my interview, haven't I?"

"Mona, check your watch."

She frowned. "One-twenty-seven. But— on the lift, it was one-thirty-six—" She shook her head. "No. Nonononono— this isn't funny, Calliope— or, whatever your name is."

Stifling my laughter, I gestured toward the revolving doors. "How about we go check with reception?"

Mona narrowed her eyes at me then marched in, cutting off a handful of tourists at the information desk.

"My name is Mona Aryan. I had an interview with LinkedIn at one-thirty? Head accountant?"

The man at the desk clacked away at his keyboard then nodded. "Mona Aryan. Take the lift up to the sixty-sixth floor and have a seat."

Mona faltered. "I'm not late?"

The man frowned, glanced at the screen, then shook his head. "You cut it pretty close but you still have a minute."

Mona wheeled around, her eyes locking with mine.

"Told you I could help!"

"Did we— did we just…" She glanced around, then leaned in, her voice dropping to a whisper. "Travel back in time?"

"Mhmm!"

Her jaw dropped and she let out an incredulous laugh before throwing her arms around me. It only lasted a second, but it was enough to set off all the butterflies in my stomach. Then she hit me on the arm, snapping me out of my stupor.

"Ow!"

"You could have at least brought me back a little earlier!" She jogged for the lift.

"Back a little earlier," I mused, fiddling with my watch again. "I can do that."

The lift doors opened. Before Mona could step on, I took her hand and pressed the blue button.

"Calliope," Mona said slowly, revolving on the spot to take in the narrow lane, the yellow-bricked shopfront walls, the potted plants lining window sills. "Where are we?"

"Florence, Italy," I replied. "1505." I started down the lane. To my surprise, she was still holding my hand.

"Hang on— I thought you were a time-traveller, not a teleporter?"

"I dabble."

She gasped, stopping us both in our tracks. "My interview!"

"Time travel, Mona," I said gently, pointing at my watch. "I'll just bring you back to ten minutes before it starts."

She eyed me for a moment. "Fifteen."

I smiled. "Fifteen."

Mona lifted our linked hands, then bopped them up and down in some makeshift handshake, and I couldn't help but laugh.

I led us down the yellow lane, turning left at a green door.

"You aren't taking me somewhere to kill me, are you?" Mona whispered as we crept through a badly-lit stone corridor.

"You really think so little of me?"

"We have just met."

"Touché."

We emerged in a well-lit studio, sketches and paintings in various stages of completion scattered across workbenches. In the corner by the window, a middle-aged man sat before a canvas. The painting was half-finished, but recognisable enough; Mona's hand flew to her mouth.

"That's not— It can't be!"

"Leo!"

Leo spun around, spreading his hands in greeting.

"Leo?!" Mona squeaked. "Are you on a nickname basis with Leonardo da Vinci?!"

I winked at her then switched to Italian. "I've brought someone to meet you."

"You speak Italian?" Mona breathed.

"Callie!" Leo wagged a paintbrush in my face. "You haven't visited in years!"

"You're on a nickname basis with Leonardo da Vinci."

I explained to Leo, with Mona's confirmation, that she was named after his painting. He beamed, shaking her hand, and Mona smiled brighter than the sunlight streaming through the window.

"She's absolutely gorgeous," Leo said, raising an eyebrow at me.

"Isn't she just." Meeting Mona's expectant gaze, I switched to English. "He says you're absolutely gorgeous."

Her cheeks flushed a dark red. She curtseyed, and I swallowed a giggle.

"Anyway, we should let Leo get back to work."

We emerged in the narrow yellow lane. Mona linked our arms, still beaming.

"Your Italian is incredibly sexy."

Inwardly, my lungs stopped functioning. Outwardly, I smirked. "C'è un ragno dietro di te."

Mona inched closer, eyes half-lidden. "What does that mean?"

"There's a spider behind you."

Mona's face fell in slow-motion. She spun around and shrieked, causing the massive brown spider to scuttle down the wall. I grabbed her hand, hurrying us down the path.

"That wasn't funny!" Mona panted once we were half a block away.

"It was a little funny."

She gazed at me, a smile playing at her lips. "How about you make it up to me with a cup of real Italian coffee? Turn this into a proper date?"

"A date?" I managed, my heart in my mouth.

"I mean—" Mona faltered. "If you want—"

"Yes!" I cleared my throat, nodded, took a breath. "Yeah. I'd love—"

A scream pierced the air, shattering the moment.

Mona squeezed my hand. "What was that?!"

"Stay here." Letting her go, I dashed toward the noise. A little girl ran past me in the opposite direction, sobbing. When I turned around, Mona was already crouching before her, holding her hands, melting my heart... I turned to focus on the matter at hand: a man being held at knifepoint by a thief demanding his expensive-looking shoes.

I slowed my pace, sidestepping along the wall to stay out of the thief's view before fiddling with my watch. I lunged forward, grabbed the thief's ankle, and pressed the blue button.

We reappeared around the corner, the thief blinking stupidly. I took the opportunity to snatch the knife from his grasp and grab the back of his shirt, slamming him against the wall. He struggled and I pressed the blade to his neck.

"Next time, I'll teleport you onto the sun," I hissed in Italian. "Understand?"

His face riddled with confusion and terror, he nodded. I let go of his shirt and he scrambled down the street. Pocketing his knife, I stepped around the corner. The little girl was running towards the man with the expensive shoes, Mona on her heels. The man scooped the girl up before thanking Mona and I and hurrying away.

"So, this is what you do?" Mona asked. "Travel through time and space befriending historical figures and threatening bad guys?"

I flashed her a grin. "Pretty much."

She studied me for a long moment, then slipped her hand in mine and started us down the street. "How about that coffee?"

"I know a place. But answer me this. Why accounting?"

Mona sighed. "It wasn't my choice." She threw me a cynical smile. "Brown parents."

"What would you have chosen?"

Mona chuckled. "You won't believe this. I wanted to be an explorer. Like Dora."

She was right. I could hardly believe my ears. "Really?"

She nodded, smiling wistfully. "I thought of travel journalism. The idea of getting paid to go all around the world sounds like a dream."

My heart thundered. "You know, I have been looking to recruit a travel buddy…"

Mona's gaze snapped to mine. "Don't tempt me."

"Why not?"

"Callie…"

"Mona?"

"Callie!"

Fingers gripped my shoulder, yanking me backwards, Mona's hand ripping from mine. Five men emerged from behind me, and I recognised the man from the attempted shoe-theft. "Mona, run!"

She hesitated, our eyes locking as the men began to surround us.

"Run!"

She spun around, bolting down the street. To my horror, two of the men took off after her.

I grabbed the shoe-thief's knife from my pocket and swung. The blade caught the arm of the man to my left, blood splattering onto the yellow wall.

It was a blur. The shoe-thief had acquired a larger knife since our previous encounter, which he used to slash open my upper arm, though his victory was short lived, for I drove my knife into his throat a second later, his blood splashing onto my face and making me gag. A hand gripped my upper arm— my brain on autopilot, I pressed the blue button on my watch.

The man and I appeared around that same corner. In the man's confusion, I grabbed the back of his neck and bounced his head off the wall, then pressed the button on my watch, teleporting back to the last guy. He shrieked and I lunged forward, my blade catching him in the stomach. The second he was on the ground, I bolted down the street.

I spotted the two men wreaking havoc at the stall of a vegetable vendor, reaching just in time for one of them to yank Mona out from under the tomato cart.

"Let her go!"

The man held his knife to Mona's throat. Tears streamed down Mona's face and prickled at the corners of my eyes. I blinked hard.

"It's me you want. Let her go and I'm all yours."

The man's eyes flicked to my left. I spun around just in time— the second man had raised his knife. I caught his arm, maneuvered him in front of me, and pressed my blade to his throat.

"Let her go, and I'll let him go."

Very slowly, the man holding Mona inched forward. I mirrored him, and once Mona and my hostage were side by side, we nodded and let go.

I caught Mona as she fell forward, holding her tight as I eyed the men.

"Are we done?"

They nodded and turned away.

"Are you alright?" I whispered, cupping Mona's cheek. She nodded, shaking. A drop of blood rolled down her neck. I bent over to inspect the cut— Mona gasped.

"Callie!"

She clutched my arms, swinging me around, then jerked forward, mouth open, eyes wide. I looked down. The tip of a blade emerged from her chest.

"Mona!" I gasped. Her body jerked again as the man yanked the blade out, swinging his arm back for another blow— I caught his arm, lowering Mona to the ground before snatching his blade and swiping it across his chest. He thudded to the ground and I turned my attention to the last man standing. He lunged at me, blade first, and I ducked, grabbing him around the middle and pressing the blue button. We landed on top of the man who's head I'd slammed into the wall and I slipped, the final man grabbing me by my collar and slamming my back against the wall, my knife clattering to the ground. His fingers found my neck, squeezing, and gasping for breath, I jerked my knee. He let go of me, doubling over, and I scrambled for my knife, spinning around and jamming it into his chest. I didn't wait for him to fall before teleporting back to Mona.

She was sprawled on the ground, blood pooling beneath her. I dropped to my knees, gently slipping my arms around her and cradling her against my chest. She was still breathing, thank goodness, I could feel the small puffs of breath on my neck.

"You're going to be okay," I whispered, fumbling with my watch, my fingers slick with blood. "Where we're going, the technology is so advanced you'll be good as new in no time."

I pressed the blue button.

We reappeared on the sterile white floor of an emergency room to gasps and cries. I ignored them, staring up at the nurse closest to us.

"Help her," I croaked. "Please."

It was four hours later when Mona's surgeon strode through the swinging doors. I leapt to my feet, studying his face as he pulled off his mask.

"Mona will be okay."

Air rushed into my lungs. "Can I see her?"

"She's sleeping off the anaesthetic—"

"Can I see her?"

"Yes."

I stepped into her room and there she was, needles poking into her skin, eyes closed, breathing deep. My knees felt like they were about to give way.

I sat by her bed and took her hand.

I'm not sure how long I was sitting there before Mona opened her eyes.

"Callie?"

"Mona!" I wanted to hug her. Instead, I lifted my other hand to her face, tucking away a strand of her hair. "How do you feel?"

"Woozy," she croaked, then giggled, and despite the tears pooling in my eyes, I laughed too. "But fine."

"Look at your chest."

She frowned a little, then peeked under her gown. "Wait—"

"No wound, right? Not even a scar?"

Mona shook her head, then narrowed her eyes at me. "Hang on— did you peek—?"

"No!" I cried, my cheeks on fire, sending Mona into a fit of laughter. "No— they fixed me up the same way! Tissue regrowth technology—" I babbled, spewing the explanation the nurse had given me whilst patching me up. "It uses a laser so there's no cutting or sewing and therefore, no scars!"

Mona finally stopped laughing. "That's pretty cool."

Unable to stop them anymore, the first of my tears spilled onto my cheeks. "I'm so sorry, Mona."

"What for?" Mona asked, reaching over, wiping my cheeks with her thumb.

"This is all my fault." Despite my best efforts, a sob escaped my lips, and I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to push the tears back in.

Mona squeezed my hand. "Callie, you saved me."

"After almost getting you killed."

"Who else would take me to a hospital in 2532 with technology so good being stabbed in the chest doesn't leave a scar?" I opened my eyes to Mona gazing at me softly. Another sob threatened to escape. I chewed down on my bottom lip to hold it back. "Although, I was hoping for a cool scar. As a souvenir."

And once again, despite the agony in my heart, Mona made me laugh.

She was discharged an hour later.

"That travel buddy position still vacant?"

I stopped. Mona turned around, and the look on my face must have said it all because her smile disappeared.

"Found someone else whilst I was in surgery, did you?"

"No, Mona…" I took a deep breath, then took her hand. "I should take you home."

I pressed the blue button on my silver watch, which I'd set whilst sitting by her bedside to May 7th 2024, 13:15.

Outside the revolving doors of the Empire State Building, Mona shook her head.

"Callie, no." She took my other hand, her eyes glistening with tears. "Don't do this."

"It's too dangerous, Mona. You've barely known me a day and I've almost gotten you killed."

Mona gaped at me, tears streaming down her face. "I was saving your life! This is how you thank me?"

"I'm trying to keep you alive!"

"This isn't fair—"

"I'm sorry—"

"No, Callie! You don't get to make my dreams come true for a day then take it all away!" She inched closer, her breath hot on my face. "You'd be dead if it wasn’t for me."

"I know—"

"And I'd be dead if it wasn't for you." Her breath hitched in her throat and she squeezed my hands. "Please. Take me with you."

I stared into those deep brown eyes, my heart simultaneously ripping itself apart and stitching itself back together, and sighed. "Alright."

Mona blinked, the pleading look on her face slowly turning into shock. Then she beamed, throwing her arms around me, and I laughed, burying my face in the crook of her neck. She planted a kiss on my cheek, then another one close to the corner of my lips, and I pulled back just enough to press my lips to hers.

"Where to next, Dora the Explora?" I asked when we finally pulled away.

"Surprise me," Mona whispered, that glimmer in her eye.

I set my watch for sunset at the coordinates of a Parisian café. "I still owe you a coffee," I said, and pressed the blue button.

May 11, 2024 03:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.