19 comments

Fantasy Fiction

           I lay back in my relaxing chair as I watch the flames grow higher and higher. I cannot recall how many times I sat in this chair reading a book until I was so tired that I put the book down and went off into dreamland. Today will not be the case, as I have parchment on my lap and a quill ready to write to the ones I love. How should I start my letter to the ones I regard as my children?

           So many memories of good times popped up in my mind all at once. I closed my eyes and meditated to take control of my thoughts. Then I opened my eyes and started with my writing:

To the Ones I Love,

Sometimes I feel like it is better to write my thoughts on paper since, while voicing it aloud, I feel like I fumble for words more often than if I put it on parchment. But I realize the downfall of writing it down is you can misconstrue what I write, so I figure I will do my best and pray what I say is taken the way I want the words to mean to you.

            I was about to write that it is also up to the ones who read it to also take it in knowing I write this with love and best intentions. Not one to spite anyone or show any negative feelings. But then I figure they will have to figure that out for themselves. There are ones that will understand and others that still need some maturing and to slow down in life. I can only hope and pray. I will continue with my writing.

I have taken care of you to the best of my ability since you were abused and ignored when you were quite young. Many of you worked like slaves, and even sold to others in that dreadful town to be used for arduous work or other dreadful practices. I will not mention such in this letter. As I have mentioned before, I gave the inhabitants a fair warning, but because of their greed and perverted living, they ignored the warning, so I took you away. Far away to live much better lives under my guidance.

As I write, I can remember so many days that I played the pipes as the children danced around, knowing little by little as time went by how life should be like for the young. How saddened me to see how the innocence of the young was taken by the ones who were selfish.

I look over at the bagpipes leaning against the wall, under the window, glad I had the musical instrument that was blessed to me. Since I was poor at speech, the instrument took its place.

           Now, back to my writing.

Please know I want the best for all of you and hope I have succeeded. I am just grateful that the older children could take care of their younger ones. My forte is to entertain all of you with music, not parenting.

I remember the day I lured them away from those monsters. As we came upon the mountain, I thought of what I should do with these children. Prior to the thought, my primary goal was to take them away. Bring freedom to their lives. To bring a smile back to their faces. I accomplished such a feat not long after they entered the new land. A land that is so much brighter and one that provides, if you take care of it. How much I laughed to see them dancing around with smiles and laughter. I am endowed to do such a thing in children’s lives.

           There was only one time that I returned to the polluted town in disguise. I left in disgust to hear of the lies they told of me. How I had requested a steep price to rid them of my friends, the rats. That they offered money, but I refused. That they missed their children that they loved dearly? All lies, but no surprise from these groups of people.

           I looked down at the parchment and re-read what I wrote so far. I figured what I wrote is good so far. Now, I needed to tell them the tough part.

You wonder why I am writing such a thing. As I have looked at all of you, I see that soon you will no longer be children. And as I observe all of you, I am no longer needed here. All of you will continue to grow and prosper. One day, you shall set out and spread your love throughout the land. All of you will vanquish the darkness and bring back the light in this world. I know all of you will succeed. Take care my loved ones.

I lay the quill down and looked at the fire for a period. I knew the day would eventually come when I would leave, but it seems to have come too quickly. It will be tough to leave those beautiful smiles. To hear the laughs. But there are others out there that need help. There are more innocent people that are punished by the corrupt. I must use my gift to take these children away and to another land of love.

           I slowly stand up, and with a pitcher of water, I extinguish the fire. Maybe one day I will be sitting by the fireplace once again.

           I put on my hat, then took my pipes. I open the door into the pitch darkness. There is no need for light as I walk a distance, eventually entering the village. I walk to the middle of the village and to the largest hut where all of them met at times to celebrate. I walk up to the door and pull out a nail near the top. I then put the parchment up against the door, pushing the nail through the paper into the door. I then turn around and look around at all the smaller huts. Everyone is sleeping, having pleasant dreams. There is no need to have anyone out guarding the area. There is no danger in this land.

           “Goodbye,” I whisper.

           Then I walked out of the village, and up and down rolling hills until I came to a mountain.

           “Time to rescue more.”

           The mountain cracks open and I enter to go to another land to find and release the innocent.

August 16, 2023 01:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Martin Ross
12:59 Sep 18, 2023

Wow! Great alternative POV of the classic tale! I watched my grandson playing and having fun with kids he’d never met all weekend while their younger parents scowled and moped and isolated themselves from everyone outside their little group, and I realized again how much we could and should learn from kids. Nice job of putting a new spin on things!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jessie Laverton
20:27 Aug 28, 2023

This is very sweet and a superb idea. Right until the end I was expecting him to say something to reveal he was actually a bit of psycho and hand not really "rescued" the children, but he really did. It's refreshing, not to feel you have to be dark to be interesting. Well done :-)

Reply

Corey Melin
22:25 Aug 29, 2023

Thank you for the comments!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suzanne Marsh
20:01 Aug 24, 2023

I agree with you it is time to get the message out. I write a lot of short stories but most of them are based on historical or personal events. I enjoy reading your stories, they are always well written.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Suzanne Marsh
22:38 Aug 22, 2023

Very well done. I enjoy reading your stories, there is always something special, a message to be learned.

Reply

Corey Melin
01:25 Aug 23, 2023

Thank you for the comments! I have written numerous short stories when I was younger that was pointless. Time to put a message to them

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy M
15:20 Aug 21, 2023

An interesting tale, very engaging, well done

Reply

Corey Melin
15:59 Aug 21, 2023

Thank you for the comments

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Luca King Greek
02:37 Aug 20, 2023

I liked the premise and the writing style, but I think I wanted to know more about what became of the children - good and bad - under his care… somehow I believe they would have tired of music, dance and play?

Reply

Corey Melin
15:36 Aug 20, 2023

Thank you for your comments. When it comes to the children, overall all went well. There wasn’t music at all times but they lived on a land that was beautiful and peaceful. Plenty of time to reflect and just enjoy nature. Sometimes it’s up to the readers imagination to figure out how the children did with the Piper and afterwards. Just like the original story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Judith Jerdé
00:21 Aug 19, 2023

I thought of the Pied Piper right away. But he kind of ended up being a bad guy, an antagonist rather than a protagonist. I felt the character in your story was a hero. Now I’m going to have Chrispian St. Peter’s hit ‘I’m Pied Piper’ playing in my head for awhile. Your writing in this piece sounded almost poetic to me and was beautiful done. Best of luck!

Reply

Corey Melin
01:40 Aug 19, 2023

Thank you for the comments. I guess it’s the way you interpret the original story. The council weren’t saints, so maybe the children going to another land meant a better life

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
16:22 Aug 16, 2023

"I'm the pided piper, follow me...' Thanks for liking my donuts Thanks for liking my 'Kneaded Touch'

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lily Finch
03:04 Aug 16, 2023

Whoa Corey, cool take on the prompt. LF6

Reply

Corey Melin
17:34 Aug 16, 2023

Thank you for the comment

Reply

Lily Finch
18:48 Aug 16, 2023

No problem Corey. L6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Frank Lester
02:08 Aug 16, 2023

So, this is what happened to the children after they followed the mesmerizing lilt of the piper's pipes. I wondered what was next. Well done. An interesting twist on a classic tale. Thanks for sharing it. Stay well.

Reply

Corey Melin
17:34 Aug 16, 2023

Thank you for the comments!

Reply

Frank Lester
00:15 Aug 18, 2023

You're welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.