1 comment

Happy American

“OOOOWWWW,” Daniel MacWin’s hurting patient yelled for the fourteenth time in a row.

“Can someone get this guy to shut up?” asked Assistant Dr. Martin Fischer.

Just then, Dr. Daniel MacWin came into the room.

“Hey, dude. Look, I need you to calm down for a second, okay? We’re about to do a biopsy to see what this sickness is. Whatever you do, don’t panic and don’t worry; everything is going to be alright.”

“Ok, Doctor,” the patient said, however so reluctantly.

“I’ll book an operating room, sir,” said Dr. Martin Fischer.

“A WHAT?” yelled the patient.

“What he means is,” Daniel tried to explain.

“WHAT HE MEANS?” the patient yelled. “WHAT HE MEANS IS HE’S GOING TO PUT ME IN A DEEP SLEEP AND THEN STAB ME TO DEATH! I KNOW THIS WORKS! YOUR STUPID ASSISTANT WHO TOLD ME TO SHUT UP FIVE MINUTES AGO, AND WAS VERY RUDE TO ME FOR SOME REASON, IS GOING TO KILL ME! I SWEAR IT! I SWEAR IT ON MY LIFE!”

“Everything is going to be alright, ok? Don’t worry,” the doctor assured his patient as they entered the OR.

“NO! EVERYTHING IS NOT GONNA BE ALRIGHT BECAUSE-”

“Count backward from one-hundred for me, please,” the doctor said.

“WHY?”

“I said, ‘Count backward from one-hundred for me, please.’”

“Fine,” the patient said, angrily. “One-hundred, ninety-nine, ninety-eight, ninety sev-”

About 20 minutes go by in the surgery and they finish their biopsy. 

“All right, Dr. Martin,” said Daniel as he walked out of the operating room. “I will go give this sample to the lab, you close him up.”

Three days later, the test results came back, and Dr. MacWin tells his patient the bad news.

“I’m so sorry, mister. The test results came back and from what we see, you have stage two cancer around your spine. We’ll have to develop a cure or something to decrease the amount of cancer,” said Daniel in a sad tone.

“WHAT? STAGE TWO WHAT?”

“Cancer, sir.”

“WELL, HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO FIND A CURE?”

“We don’t know.”

“WHAT?”

“But, there is hope.”

“HOPE? HOPE? I DON’T GIVE ANYTHING ABOUT HOPE! HOPE DOESN’T CURE ANYTHING! I HOPE YOU CAN FIND A CURE BECAUSE IF YOU LET ME DIE, THERE IS BLOOD ON YOUR LITTLE, DIRTY, STINKING HANDS!”

Several days go by and Daniel can’t create anything to kill the cancer. He reads books and studies as hard as he can but nothing seems to work. But then, one day, he borrowed a book from the library that would change his life and every cancer patient’s life forever. The book was called, “Air Cures Infected Beetle.” In the book, they poked holes in the infected part of the beetle, the air spread out and took over the infected part of the beetle, and cured it.

What if I do that to the cancer? Daniel thought. Will it work? It’s worth a shot, I have to go tell this to the patient.

When Daniel arrives at the hospital he immediately runs to his patient’s room and says, “I might be able to kill the cancer.”

“ YOU BETTER BE ABLE TO, but how did you find a cure for the cancer?” Asked the patient.

“Well, it’s complicated, and I don’t know if it will work. But-,” Daniel started to say.

“YOU DON’T KNOW IF IT WILL WORK!?  DR. MACWIN, I WILL NOT BE A PART OF AN EXPERIMENT! DO YOU HEAR THAT? The patient interrupted.

“Yes, sir. But if you just sign these papers to let me do the surgery, it could work and it won’t hurt you if it doesn’t. If you want a chance to live, you have to let me try this. By the way, quit interrupting me, and stop being rude. For all I’m trying to do is help you.”

“Whatever, and where are the papers, so I can sign them?” Asked the patient, suddenly calming down.

“Here are the papers, I'll stay in the room until you sign them unless you would like otherwise,” replied Dr. MacWin

“No it’s okay,” The patient said as he finished signing the papers.

“Okay, perfect. The surgery will be at 8:00 PM tonight. I’ll see you then!

As Daniel thinks more about the surgery, he begins to have second thoughts, but he knows he can’t cancel the surgery, he can’t disappoint his patient. Not again.

What if I mess up? What if I end his life here? He has suffered for more than a year, I NEED to perfect this surgery. Please God, make me the best surgeon in the world, just this one time.

As the surgery nears, Daniel gets more confident, and when it’s time to prepare the patient for surgery, he feels like the best surgeon in the world.

“Okay, you know the drill, count backward from one-hundred,” The anesthesiologist said.

“Okay, one-hundred, ninety-nine, ninety-eight ninety-sev-”, The patient said as he fell asleep.

“This is going to be harder than I thought,” Daniel remarked as he looked at the cancer inside of his patient.

Daniel took his syringe and started poking holes in the cancer, praying that this would work. 

“All done, let’s close him up,” said Daniel to the anesthesiologist.

When the patient woke up, Daniel took him to take a CT scan. It took about 15 minutes for the image to load into the computer but when it loaded, Daniel saw a change that he had never seen before. In fact, no doctor has ever seen it anymore. The cancer was completely gone. Daniel MacWin had found the cure for the “incurable disease”, cancer.

“Well doctor, did it work okay?” The patient asked in a hopeful way.

“No, it didn’t just work okay. It cured you!” Daniel exclaimed.

“ THANK YOU, DOCTOR! THANK YOU! The patient yelled

Just then, many doctors came crowding around Daniel and his patient, asking what he cured. Daniel simply just told them, “I cured cancer.”

“DANIEL MACWIN CURED CANCER!!!!” Someone from the crowd of doctors yelled, and then even more doctors came to surround Dr. MacWin and his patient.

“I’m sorry doctors, I can’t answer all of your questions, I have to get my patient back to his room,” Daniel told the crowd.

As Daniel walked his patient back to his room, he felt very glad that he could finally find the cure for cancer.

“Okay, I’ll be back tomorrow to see how you're feeling,” Daniel told his patient.

When Daniel exited his patient’s room, he saw interviewers coming to ask him questions.

“Hello, can I help you?” Daniel asked the interviewers.

“Yes, we heard that you have a cure for cancer. Tell us how you did it, sir!”

As Daniel told the interviewers about the book he read that made him figure out how to cure cancer, he wasn’t just the start on TV. He was every cancer patient’s lifelong hero.

April 24, 2021 20:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Masimba Chikosi
22:04 May 14, 2021

AMAZING!!!! Great work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.