22 comments

Friendship

Amy groaned in pain as she came out of her unconscious state of mind. She licked her dried, cracked lips, it tasted blood. Her eyes were black and swollen and her vision was blurred.

Her throat was parched and her tongue felt like cotton. She was completely delibitated and desperately longed for water.

She heard a scratching sound probably a rat, she thought, but was too delirious to even get scared.

She tried to focus her gaze in the direction of the sound but the room was pitch dark, it had no windows, few holes were drilled near the ceiling for ventilation.

She tried to move her legs which were numb but a sudden wave of excruciating pain swept over her and she lost consciousness.

"Amy wake up", someone was tapping her shoulder.

She woke up from her pain induced sleep to see Jenny bending over her. She had a cup which she held to Amy's parched  lips. Amy lapped up the water like a cat, until the cup was almost empty.

Sunlight filtered through the holes in the ceiling. She noticed she was locked in the storeroom with large grain containers kept in the corner. The musky smell was suffocating and she longed for fresh air.

Jenny freed Amy from her bondage, helped her to her feet and slowly led her out of the temporary prison. Amy was tortured, for stealing a piece of bread and in refusing to apologise for the same, she was beaten black and blue and kept as a prisoner for two days, without food or water by the Supervisor.

Jenny made her lie on her bed and started cleaning her wounds with a damp cloth.

"Why do you argue with her Amy?" She is a cruel woman. I think she hates all of us".

"I dont care anymore Jenny, few more months and I will be out of this horrendous place".

An icy grip of fear clutched Jenny's heart.

"I wish I could come with you Amy". Life will be so difficult without you.

"Don't worry Jenny, as soon as I find a good job and a place to stay I will come for you." I promise. You are my only family in this world and we will be together one day.

Jenny smiled through her tears, she was confident Amy would come for her.

They were inmates of an orphanage and were brought here more or less at the same time, ten years ago. Amy was eight and Jenny was three. From then on, started their friendship after going through so many hardships, trials and tribulations, they were inseparable.

Amy took her under her wings and started looking after her like a sister and Jenny followed Amy like a lap dog wherever she went.

Jenny was the quieter one, while Amy was more vociferous. They both had blond hair and blue eyes and everyone thought they were sisters.

Amy's mother was a drug addict, who left her in the orphanage and vanished without a trace.

Jenny's parents died in a car accident and none of her relatives were willing to take her in so she was brought here along with a few other children.

The orphanage was a cruel, hard place with a supervisor Mrs Patterson, who was nothing less than a monster.

A sturdy emotionless woman who never thought twice before castigating the children,  at the drop of a hat.

Amy was relieved that she would be getting out of here in a few months as soon she turned eighteen.

Her main concern was Jenny who had another five years to go. She knew Jenny would be lost without her.

She hated the orphanage, the supervisor, her mother, everyone except Jenny whom she considered as her soul sister. Once she goes out  from here, she won't waste much time and get Jenny out of this dreadful place.

Amy decided she would be on her best behaviour till the date of her release as she didn't want any issues to stop her release to freedom.

Jenny had become very quiet and had crawled into her shell.Time and again Amy had to assure her that she would definitely return for her.

At last, the day arrived. Amy was very excited to leave this horrid place. She bid farewell to all her friends. Jenny was sobbing uncontrollably, Amy tried to keep a straight face and pretended to be strong for her little friend.

"I promise Amy I will come for you". She hugged her friend and left the orphanage forever.

She was given some travelling money, a few clothes  and an address where they would find a job for her.

She looked up at the sky and thanked God, her ordeal was over, she could smell freedom everywhere and her joy knew no bounds.

she got a job as a waitress, she was happy with that.

The owner was a jolly looking old man who offered a place to stay in a tiny room behind the hotel if she could manage two shifts.

Amy accepted it happily as she had no other option and this seemed like a God sent opportunity to her.

She worked hard and started saving every bit of her money, she would have to get a nice decent place if she had to bring Jenny home.

Nothing was easy as it looked, it was a struggle all the way but Amy was ready to take up any challenge, head on.

She tried to call Jenny many times but her calls were never put through, in fact she was warned not to call back.

It was more than six months now that she was leading a free life, she had saved some money, so she decided to take legal advice regarding Jenny, the lawyer told her she should have a proper house and a steady job before she could legally adopt Jenny.

She got herself enrolled for computer skills and got an office job as soon as she completed her course.

she was regularly sending letters and cards to Jenny praying that she received them.

It was nearly three years before she could find a better job and a permanent house to stay.

The time was right Amy thought, Jenny would be sixteen now and she would be able to adopt her.

With all the legal documents in her bag, she set on her journey to the orphanage.

Nothing had changed, it was still dour and drab, and gave her an eerie feeling when she entered.

The good old oak tree stood there as usual in the garden spreading it's branches protectively over the orphanage.

She passed the grand hall with its huge ancient clock which stood testimony to the torment and humiliation the inmates faced everyday.

She knocked and entered the supervisor 's room.

Miss Patterson had long since retired, the new supervisor looked kind and humane,

Amy enquired about Jenny hoping she was well.

"You must be Amy!, Jenny has been waiting for

you for a long long time".

I tried my best to come earlier for Jenny but it did not happen. Now She will be leaving with me.

Amy showed her all the legal documents.

"Where is she?"

"Come with me "the supervisor said.

She led Amy to the infirmary.

A tall skinny girl was sitting at the window staring outside.

"Jenny!, look who's here" said the supervisor.

Jenny turned around she saw Amy, there was a nonchalant air about her.

A sudden rush of emotions exploded in Amy's heart and she ran to hug her.

"Jenny my darling, don't you remember me? I'm Amy."

Jenny's eyes flickered at the mention of her name but she soon went into a trance.

Amy was crying now she looked at the Supervisor,

a painful feeling of concern sliced through her body like a knife.

"Don't worry Amy ..this is just temporary, she's in severe depression, she thought you weren't going to come for her, but with proper love and care she will be fine, that's what the doctor said."

Amy hugged Jenny and kissed her forehead.

"I'm sorry darling, I couldn't come sooner but now I'm here and will never leave you again".

"I'm taking her with me and now she's my responsibility. She is the only family I have."

She told the supervisor.

After submitting the necessary documents, finally Jenny was allowed to leave with Amy.

Amy held her hand tightly and walked out of the the orphanage, towards a new life with Jenny. She had promised Jenny she would come for her and she had kept her promise.

February 04, 2021 02:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

22 comments

Jay Pillay
14:01 Feb 09, 2021

Very emotional and sensitive story.

Reply

Asha Pillay
18:00 Feb 09, 2021

Thanks Jay

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:35 Feb 08, 2021

Wonderful and love it. Thought to have such guardians. Very touching..

Reply

Asha Pillay
18:00 Feb 09, 2021

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:44 Feb 06, 2021

Wow it's very nice and also very emotional keep it up ..... very very touching

Reply

Asha Pillay
16:20 Feb 07, 2021

Thanks dear🤩🌷

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amar Mishra
14:22 Feb 06, 2021

Kudos 👌

Reply

Asha Pillay
15:33 Feb 06, 2021

Thanks🌷🌷

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Manisha Singh
04:26 Feb 04, 2021

Very good story .

Reply

Asha Pillay
15:34 Feb 06, 2021

Thanks Manisha.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tushar T
14:17 Feb 17, 2021

Emotional and beautiful story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nadig Rangaswamy
16:37 Feb 10, 2021

An emotional story of the orphans who had never got the love and affection in their childhood as unwanted children from the parents and relatives. However the love bond of children grew upto the end of the teenage and caused depression to the younger one is really heart touching. Asha keep writing stories like this, I admire your writing. Dr. N.Rangaswamy

Reply

Show 0 replies
SURESH KURHADE
13:50 Feb 07, 2021

It is a beautiful story. It is touching. You were raising the curiosity of the story through your writing. You have painted a picture of an orphanage. Your stories are full of creativity and innovation.Great,Asha.Keep it up.

Reply

Asha Pillay
16:27 Feb 07, 2021

Thanks Suresh I will , thanks for commenting

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suresh Nayak
22:35 Feb 06, 2021

Beautifully presented, loved it - wish v all have friends and guardians like this.

Reply

Asha Pillay
16:22 Feb 07, 2021

Thanks for your kind words

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dr Sambandam Sky
15:55 Feb 06, 2021

Oops...sensitive, lovely and emotional....how do you find time to write long stories? Your narration is awesome...keep it going,..best wishes..cheers..

Reply

Asha Pillay
16:21 Feb 07, 2021

I manage it as it's my passion Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
R Narayanan
14:17 Feb 06, 2021

Wow....lovely story...sensitive and emotional....how do you manage to write so well? Your narration is awesome...keep it going, you are doing a great job...

Reply

Asha Pillay
15:34 Feb 06, 2021

I have great friends who support me ,encourage me and also inspire me✌👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Serenity Foryu
01:08 Feb 06, 2021

Such an emotional and touching story, loved every bit ,you write your stories with so much feelings that it touches one's heart. Keep up the good work.

Reply

Asha Pillay
15:34 Feb 06, 2021

Thanks dear

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.