Mom Overboard

Submitted into Contest #1 in response to: Write a story about a sweet sixteen.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Trevor’s eyes were hazel and bright in the afternoon sun. His black bangs hanging over his long eyelashes. We smiled together, mine hidden behind my thin lips, his wide and flashy. I ran through the forest, dancing along with the spirals of light shining through the tree tops. He followed after. My house was at the end where the path turned into a Cul-de-sac. It was a two story modern home with white shutters and large windows on the corner of Borrow street. I had lived there all of my life but despite that living there had always felt foreign to me. Paintings of red squares hung in the hallways and tiny tables and chairs rested in the living room. Sitting on one of those chairs inside and excitedly tapping her foot my mother waited.

My mother had pleasant lips and a harsh tongue, gentle eyes and a mean stare. It had been a while since I had a good memory with her. In fact a year ago was the last time my mother told me she loved me.

She surprised me late at night with flush cheeks and a cute hiccup as she knocked at my door. Her head nodded as she slipped into the room and crawled under the covers. Her small voice whispering into the nape of my neck, “you have such beautiful hair.” Even while I was slightly afraid I blushed because somehow I was happy. As her eyes closed and we both fell asleep I whispered back “I love you.” The next morning when we woke up she asked if I wanted pancakes. They were blueberry, my favorite.

That was the last time I remember my mother being kind. We spoke only when we had to, but there she was patiently waiting for me. I was still angry from the Blue Pontoon Party so I tried to brush past her as she asked. “Margo, how are you doing?”

I looked at her in surprise. I thought she was going to criticize me like at the Blue Pontoon party where she completely embarrassed me. It started off innocent; she stood in her elegant red white and blue sequin dress next to the chocolate bar. I was standing there as well twirling my blue and yellow strawberry patterned frock, eyeing the table. There was a chocolate fountain and spread out over the entire table strawberries from exotic European countries and nuts from distant deserts along with ten varieties of chocolate and caramel. She had turned her head to mingle for a moment. I was hungry, so I picked up a chocolate bar and ran it under the chocolate fountain. I pulled it from under the falling chocolate and a thick layer of hot chocolate lava began to drip off. I almost had it at my mouth when my mother snatched it from my hand, sprinkling chocolate on both of us. “Well done,” she screamed and rushed us to the bathroom while she tossed the chocolate bar away. I don’t know why she forced me to attend events like that anyways.  

She did snatch my eyes as I entered the house, but I looked away. “how are you doing?”She repeated as I stopped, floored.

“Good, what’s going on mom?” I questioned.

“Oh nothing much I just thought you’d be excited about your sweet sixteen,” she explained her smiling twitching as I looked over to see her wide green eyes.

           “I don’t really think it’s a big deal. I told you all I want is ice cream cake.”

           “Of course it’s a big deal,” she explained. “It only happens once and I want to make sure you have the best party ever.”

           “I probably won’t even remember it by the time I get old.”

           “Don’t be silly.”

           “Well I don’t think it’s silly to have a small dinner. Maybe Trevor can come over?”

           “That awful boy who pretends to be a magician? Stop being ridiculous.”

           Well I was definitely ridiculous. I can’t believe everything I let my mom get away with. She kept me updated all the time.

“Okay honey we’ve booked the orchestra.” She told me, without explaining where or when the party was. “Justin Boober just tweeted about it.” She exclaimed from the upstairs bathroom one day. “Beyonka, is now headlining the show!”

I know this is an unpopular opinion but I don’t even like Beyonka.

           Once my mother mentioned there would be fireworks and sky diving entrances I decided to put my foot down.

           “You’re spending all your inheritance on my stupid party!”

           She rebutted by explaining you can’t put a price on happiness

           Finally, I saw it on Trevor’s invitation one day as we walked home together.

You’re formally invited to Margo’s sweet sixteen

257 Lord Court, Milestone, MI 620119

Theme: Out Of This World.

           “Do you really want me to go?” He asked me.

           “I wish you could go.” I said kicking the stones on the ground.

           Trevor pushed his bangs out of his eyes and explained, “I just can’t really handle crowds. Maybe we can hang out before or after?”

           “Yeah that would be great. Maybe we can get ready together before.”

           “Definitely, or hang out after and you can tell me all about it. ”

           “Okay,” I agreed.

           Trevor has been my friend since we were young. We kept each other company as children when we were mutually looking for escape. Sitting on the sidewalk and playing card games time would fly by. There was only one time that he met my mother. It was the first and last time he came home with me after school. My voice shook slightly as I told him, “you should come see my room.”

           “Cool with me,” he exclaimed.

           I let him through the door and she came sniffing around the corner. Like a hound of unhappiness scratching her face. She had a black hat on that looked like an egg sitting on her frizzy hair, her eyes hidden behind square white shades.

           “Oh,” her hand came out to touch Trevor as he stepped away, “who are you?” she asked leaning down and pulling her shades down to reveal her bloodshot eyes.

           “Trevor, let’s just go upstairs.”

           “You’re not going to ignore me young lady,” my mother threatened softly as she tugged at my wrist gently, “I just want to hear about your day?”

           I pulled away from her, “you’re just going to lecture me.”

           “Oh well maybe if you had better grades I wouldn’t have to bug you.”

           “Mom just leave me alone.” I pleaded unable to cross by her unless I pushed her out of the way. “Fine I’ll just leave.” I grabbed Trevor’s hand and we retreated out the front door. I don’t think Trevor wanted to go back and I didn’t invite him.  

           Now it’s the night of my party and I’m waiting pensively for my mother to tell me we’re leaving. It turns an hour before the party and I’m looking around the house and she’s gone. I hear a beep outside. A limo is honking in front of my house. I walk out to the driver and he asks, “are you Margo?” I get in, crossing my legs and leaning back. The limo has a small Jacuzzi in the back and a tray of treats and snacks lit up in fridges under the seats. A button near the car door is labeled, “cheese fountain” I don’t want to push it because it seems messy.

           The ride over feels like a while, then suddenly the driver announces “we’re here.” We’re parked at the bottom of a long uphill driveway and at the top stands a huge stretch of hotels.

The fanfare is absurd. Flashing lights blinking as everyone steps into the giant hotel lobby. We shuffle along a red carpet with lights going off and finally walk into the hotel’s grand ballroom. A magnificent room the size of a football field and lit like a stadium as well.

Kids are lined up on a red wooden platform above a white ring, each of them waiting for their moment to meander along the outside atop an old unhappy looking elephant. There is a Ferris wheel flashing pink and blue and filled with feet dangling over the edge. For some reason the air smells sweet and there is a giant stage.

I’ve been standing in the front of the stage for a while. I’m not talking to anyone I’m only quietly waiting. Then the stage lights up and my mom walks out. I don’t think she cares that I’m here. God I can already tell she’s drunk. “Hey” She announces stumbling across the stage, “welcome to my sweet sixteen! Free drinks all around!” She holds her glass up on stage and spills a little bit of it. “This is going to be such a fun night; we have Justin Boober and Beyonka here to perform. Along with a magic and fire act that will without a doubt blow your mind. But for now enjoy the comedy stylings of Anna Schumer.  

           My mom stumbles off stage and Anna Schumer walks out.

           I watch as my mother walks around the party giving liquor to all of my classmates. Everyone in my school is probably at this party. How did she invite this many people? Freshmen are dancing and toppling over each other. Anna Schumer is half way into her act and I see blue and red flashing lights in the distance. Decorated uniforms cause the crowd to divide as they stalk towards the front of the stage. My mother is running out from behind the stage.

           “Excuse me,” she stops in front of them chest puffed out, “what are you doing here?”

           They ask, “are you the owner of this establishment?”

           “I’m renting it.”

           “Well,” the officer states, “we are going to need you to shut down the music. It’s violating noise restrictions in this area.”

           “No one ever told me anything about that.” She protests.

           “Well you have been badly informed then.”

           Like it happened in slow motion, a cup hits the lead officer square on his forehead and sort of sticks as it begins to slide down his face. His nose sniffs the odor of liquor as it falls to the ground and he looks at the young man who has thrown the red solo cup. “How old are you?” The young man freezes, unsure as the officer stomps forward. His hands hold back as he yells “what’s your name son?” the man turns slightly, who knows what he was trying to do, but the cop grabs him and slams him on the ground. “It looks to me like your resisting arrest.” He declares as he slaps a pair of cuffs around the young man’s hands.

           “You’re completely ruining the party.” My mother cries sprinting forward.

           The other officer’s stop her, grabbing her wrists and twisting them behind her body. “Ma’am have you been giving alcohol to minors?”

           My mother slumps to the floor. “We’re going to need to take you in,” the officer instructs forcing her up. With her head down she strolls in front of the officers, and along with the kid are shoved into the back of their police car. “Leave before we call back up.” They shouted to the crowd.  

           I hear the rush as people surge off the property. Cars cramming into the road as they flee for their homes. Everyone leaves behind an empty stage, tents, and trash littering the floor. The lights remain on and in the spotlight on stage stands Trevor. A cute and awkward boy who always seems to know how to make me laugh.   

August 08, 2019 20:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.