2 comments

Fantasy Sad Drama

         We dont know what our future holds for us, it’s just the matter of time. We make or destroy our future by our own good or bad decisions. But when you’re marked no matter what, you can’t change you’re destiny by you’re doings.

1

I heard the door bell and knew Dad had brought me a gift as promised. Excited I run to open the door, almost tripping three times on books, stairs and on a flat floor. I hate my clumsiness for wasting my time. But can’t help it as I was born with it. I know the pain of broken limbs, arm, legs but thats past, now I’ve promoted to braking things other then my body parts.

I opened the door with a big smile on my face. Dad raised his eyebrows in question

“Sherley, What took you so long?” He said.

My eyes eagerly searched for the gift in his hands but there was no trace of anything like a gift.

“You said you’ll buy me a gift?”I asked.

“I promised to give it on your birthday. ” he walked pass me.

“But its after two days. I’m not a kid anymore.” I complained.

“Exactly, stop acting like one.” He stated.

I close the door and drag my self to my room. Trying to avoid all the obstacles(for me) on my way. With a strong thud I close my door only if he can understand how much disappointed am I by it. I never demanded any presents in my entire life. But just because I was turning 18, a legal age where I can decide on my own, I wanted something special to be remembered for ever. And here I was excited about getting 18, my parents seemed more troubled then ever. And I can’t even know the reason for it. They always avoided the topic.

That night I tried to read my favorite book, completely romantic, as I don’t like any other genre then that, specially crime, murder mystery and stuff like that. I can't stand the sight of killing people, dripping blood, fights etc. I heard sobbing, and kept my book aside to check who was it. When I opened the door it was clear to me that it was my mom’s. I tip toed downstairs, and sneeked to my parent’s room to hear what’s the serious matter which made mom cry.

“It’s so frustrating. We can’t even do anything for her.”she sobbed.

“We did whatever we could. It’s her destiny.” dad tried to soothe her.

“We should find that fortune teller, maybe he can suggest anything to change her future?” Mom suggested.

Who are they talking about. Destiny? Fortune teller? Changing future? I was derailed from my thoughts when dad called my name and I flinched. I was totally unaware about my shadow falling on the floor because of the dim light above my head. I entered the room sluggishly.

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but I heard mom crying and..” suddenly mom came and hugged me tightly.

“Oh sherley, I’m sorry, your mom failed to change your dangerous future.” dad pulled her from me and gave her a deadly stare.

“Stop it, you’ll make it worse.” Dad exclaimed.

“How worse can it be then this..?” She cried loudly this time.

“Mom? Dad? What’s going on? Is something the matter? Is… is it about me?” I sucked a breath and prepared my self for the worst answer.

Dad sighed, shook his head and rubbed his fingers on his forehead. He was taking time to compress his words so it can be less hurtful. But the more time he took my heart raced faster by time. The moment he’ll speak my heart would almost burst out.

“A…at the time of your birth a fortune teller predicted your future, he said.. he ..said..after you’ll turn 18 you’ll… kk..kill people, you’ll be an a..assassin. And will be.. killed in one of the mission of your..” dad covered his face with his big hands and maybe tried to hide the tears he was shedding.

I released the breath I was holding, bewildered I looked at mom and dad. Gave a thought to what he said and licked my lower lip. A smile formed on my face, and after a moment I started laughing as I couldn’t help myself from laughing. Both of them looked at me worriedly. Mom looked between dad and me with a shock in her eyes.

“Seriously? I mean ME? An Assassin?” I was unable to stop my self from laughing.

“It’s true.” Dad stood up from where he was seated.

“Dad, have you ever observed me? Ha, ha ha,”

“It’s not just one fortune teller who predicted this, three different fortune teller told the exact same thing.” He said with a stern face.

“What?” I looked at mom who nodded in agreement. My heart skip a beat. My fingers started getting cold. Please tell me there must have been some mistake.

“There must have been some mistake, may be its not about me?” I raised my eyebrows at Dad, expecting some positive answer.

“We left no stone unturned, we researched every aspect, but we didn’t get any positive result.” he sighed.

"I can't believe it" I refuse to agree, as I will be the last person for that prophecy.


Next day was not normal as it has always been, our relatives residing at different places called to know if there was any progress regarding the prophecy, as it was just one day left for it to be come true. Everyone knew about it except for me, and they even believed it to be true. I was mad, because they believed that out of all people I can be an assassin.

"I'm leaving" I got my bag and stomped towards the door.

" wait, where are you going?" Mom stopped me.

"College. And I'll go to the library after that, I'll be late." I looked at Dad who was busy on his call and left them with their phone calls without even having breakfast.

I spent my whole day thinking about the prophecy. And was so sure that there must be a mistake, or that fortune teller must have been a fraud. I didn't realize that I was alone in the library until the bookkeeper switched off the light, which startled me. I stood up hurriedly making the chair to squeak. The librarian immediately looked at me with his torch.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know you were here." He apologized, but didn't move his torch light from my face.

"Uh.. it's okay. I didn't realize it was closing time." I shielded my eyes with my hand, he realized and moved the light on the floor so I can walk off.

He didn't say anything further and that was my cue to get out as soon as possible. I grabbed my things from the table and walked away for my home.

The road was extremely empty. Just the wind blowing on the road, some streetlights and me. I know there is no one around but still I feel like someone is following me. I look around stopping once, then just walked until I reached my house.

My legs were hurting after walking furiously, entering the gate I stumble on the pavement near the gate. I saw someone looking from the window. It was dark inside so can't tell who it was. I knew when I'll enter the room mom and dad would be eager to know where I was and what took me so long. But when I opened the door I saw both sitting beside the dinning table looking at me with sad eyes.

"What's the matter?" I closed the door and walked towards the table. But before I reach them I heard the main door open and then close in one moment. I turned back to find that librarian standing in the door frame.

"You? What ar...?" Shocked I couldn't speak further as he held a gun against me. I immediately looked at my parents and there were two other guys holding guns on their head. I swallow a lump in my throat. My eyes well up with tears.

"What do you want?" I ask turning towards the so called librarian who followed me.

He smiled devilishly and jerk his head backwards and enjoyed as if it was some kind of his inner joke.

"You are still asking?" He wiggled his eyebrows "what do you think we want from a future assassin?"

"That's not my future. I would never kill anyone, I can't even imagine that" he looked at me with a dubious look as if he was almost convinced about it.

"Well, I believe you." He puts his gun down nodding. " But I can't risk my life. Just because you can't, doesn't mean you wouldn't" he again holds his gun exactly on my forehead just a inch away. My breath hitchhike with the sudden movement. With that dad run towards him,pushing me down knocking his gun, which fall beside me and I grab it immediately without thinking. I don't even know how it works. I stand up holding that gun against them with shivering hands, I can feel my pulse, and hear my heartbeat in my ears clearly.

"Leave my parents" I shout.

He laughs as if I was joking.

"You won't shoot." He laughed again.

"Don't you dare me" I point the gun at one of his men. But before I could scare him he shoots mom and dad, they collapse down the floor. My eyes pop out.

"Nooooo...." I shout my lungs out.

I breath heavily, I can't move, I still have gun in my hand. I cry out loud, anger burns in me like lava, ready to explode. I hold the gun with both hands ,gripping it tightly and just start firing at them aimlessly.

"Ahhh..."I shout so hard my throat burns.

The three guys fall hard, immediately on the ground. Looking at them, I loose my energy and just fall on knees and cry loudly as I can't control my self anymore. I get close to my parents who aren't breathing any more. But I still try to wake them up.

" Dad? Mom? Please wake up..Mom?" I sob.

The door opens and some police officers point gun at me.

"Freeze" one of them shout at me.

I just sit there and the room gets filled with lots of police just in a moment. He grabs me from my arm and tries to sneer me away from my parents, I struggle hard to not to go, but the officer pulls me hard and I am taken to one of the car and then in their office. After some time another officer sits across the table and starts interrogating me. The session goes on for hours, and they start blaming me for killing people in the house. They aren't ready to listen to my plea.

They just want me to accept that I committed a crime.

"I'm not a criminal,they are my parents. How can I kill them." I smack my palm on the table.

Two other people enter the room, one is younger and another is of my father's age. He nods at the officer sitting across me and all of them leave the room. The older one leaned on me, entering my space.

"Do you know, you killed three people shooting at them right in their brains. Like exactly same place all the three time?"

"I killed them aimlessly, in my defense" I try to explain.

"Hmm. You did quite a good job." He looks at me amused.

"Seth, clean the mess and bring her to the station." He continues.

"But chief are you sure she's the one? she's so clumsy and weak and scared." Seth asks his chief. I look between them not understanding a thing.

"Seth thats her real power. It's kind of her camouflage." They are talking about me, as if I'm not there. Then he turns around to face me and say

"Happy birthday shirley! Welcome to a new world." He then leaves the room.

"Let's go, we are leaving." Seth instructs me.

"Where are we going?" I ask curiously.

"For your proper training " He writes something in the paper kept on the table.

"Training for what?" I stand up aggressively.

He look around and then at the CCTV camera and come closer to me and say

"Training for you to be a perfect assassin"

"What?" I say out loud.

"Look you don't have time, just do as I say. Come with me or they'll send you to jail for killing people."

" why me?" I slump on the chair disappointed.

"Because you were born to be an assassin." He held my hand and dragged me out.

Something small would have shocked me, but this so much bigger then what I can ever imagine. And so the prophecy really came true.

October 10, 2020 03:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Myra Siddique
17:49 Oct 12, 2020

Good job.

Reply

Nasreen M
10:43 Oct 13, 2020

Thank u for reading my prompt. This means a lot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.