Alone With The Flowers 🌺

Submitted into Contest #86 in response to: Write a story where flowers play a central role.... view prompt

0 comments

Friendship Fiction Fantasy

A sweet smell and aroma filled the air...what could it be? The aroma led 7 year old Lily to a garden, filled with various plants, some flowers included such as violets, daisies, roses, sunflowers, and tulips; but the fragrant smell was coming from the flower section of the garden, it seemed so exceptional that Lily thought she was dreaming. The nectar started having an impact. The sweetness looked like it was dancing around her as if it was a never ending blaze of inextinguishable fire; was this really a dream although it seemed so real?


7 year old Lily awoke from her bed as the dream was continuing to last of the 'dancing flowers', "There is no such thing as the flowers dancing and spreading joy and sweetness onto me," Lily murmured, "It is a dream, it seemed so real though," Or was that really a dream?

Lily's older brother Alexander called her, "Lily it is time for school, what are you doing still in bed?!"

"I was wondering about a strange dream I had Alexander!" Lily replied, rushing to get out of bed and heading over to the bathroom to brush her teeth.

"Dreams are always like that," Alexander explained, "But they're never real so quit daydreaming."

"It seemed so real though, can it possibly be a real place?" Lily asked, grabbing her overfilled backpack and her freshly cooked lunch.

"No, no, that is not possible." Alexander exclaimed opening the dark oak door and slamming it shut after he and Lily ran out.

Back at Lily's bedroom, amongst the bed was a tiny sprinkle of pollen and nectar, what was that? Can it possibly be from the dream or the glitter on Lily's clothing?

At school, Lily thought of the dream still, she was determined to find that 'flowerland'. She thought back to the green grassland, being lured to the fantasy garden with the most fragrant and luxurious smell, she thought of the crystal blue pond as clear as the summer sky, and finally the stone bench with carvings of flowers, where she clearly remembered someone was sitting on. She thought of how right when she was about to find out who the mysterious stranger was, Alexander awoke her from her dream of the dancing flowers. All of her thinking got interrupted when her teacher Mr. Rock called on Lily.

"Lily, why are you not paying attention to class, this is not a simple topic!"

"Sir, I am trying to pay attention." Lily replied startled. "I was distracted by a thought."

"Well then, if you truly are paying attention, answer question four." Mr. Rock questioned.

"Umm...is the answer C?"

"Incorrect." Mr. Rock said immediately after. "You will stay after class for questioning."

"Yes sir..." Lily mumbled. After class, Lily sat in her spot, not daring to say a word.

"Lily, why were you distracted?" Mr Rock intervened.

"It was a dream I thought of-?" Lily answered embarrassed.

"Dreams are not real and it isn't of any excuse to not understand and pay attention to a concept I'm teaching; you're dismissed."

Lily ran out of the classroom, forgetting the dream in an instant after the situation.

6 years later when Lily is fourteen, her parents have gone missing, last seen sitting on a metal train, the train was traveling east and never came back to a station. Lily grieved, and after some time, she couldn't weep anymore and wept blood. Alexander said that their parents were never fond of them and didn't want to make them disappointed. Lily was ashamed.

In the midst of her bedroom late at midnight, Lily collapsed on her bed that she never switched 6 years ago, and saw something next to her, it took shape of a small object, like a flower perhaps, but Lily already fell asleep and didn't bother to find out what the object was.

"Lily," Alexander sighed. "Get out of bed already, it's a weekend and you've been up there for ours, do you want to do anything?" Not replying, Lily got up and got dressed, putting on a soft coat and glancing at her messy bed, she saw the flower, when she touched it, it was transparent and looked like a mirage. When Lily rubbed her swollen eyes, she saw the flower still there, and then it flew out her window.

Following the flower, Lily flung open her door and rushed downstairs where the flower was heading, it was her instinct to follow it, although she didn't even think about the flower.

"Lily!?" Alexander fell over his chair, aghast. Ignoring him, Lily rushed out the garden door to follow the flower, blowing in the wind as if it was trying to lure her somewhere. Alexander chased after his sister. Lily's legs never grew tired although she ran hard to chase after the flower, second by second, minute by minute, her eagerness of the flower never grew out. After Alexander grew tired of chasing Lily, he shouted, "Where are you going??" Once again, Lily ignored him.

Lily now arrived at an unknown area with no villages or hamlets, but only plain green grass. She saw a gray, stone bench, with descriptive carvings with patterns of flowers. She sat on it, next to where the flying flower landed. Amongst the grassland she heard a young, joyful voice, and it was getting closer, she turned around the gray bench and saw her, as a 7 year old child. But of course, Lily didn't realize this when she herself was the 7 year old child, awoken by Alexander for school.

Lily walked over to the flowers, and then it started dancing, it reminded her of something, but she couldn't think of what...Yes! It was her dream years ago about the flowers, it was true! When Lily was a child, she saw the stranger sitting on the bench, the stranger was Lily as a teenager! Lily then started to see the flowers dance again, and pollen and nectar flowing around her. This time, it wasn't a dream, Alexander couldn't follow her here in this flower land that she dreamed of years ago. Lily was happy here, alone with the flowers, always by her side, dancing around.

March 25, 2021 19:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.