45 comments

Fiction Contemporary Friendship

I had heard about urban life back in the States from visiting tourists. Over the years, it sounded worse and worse. More crowded, more traffic, more crime, and more pollution. I don't know how they can stand it. Maybe that's why they try so hard to escape it, if only for a week or two.


Then again, I've spent my entire life on a tropical island devoid of crowds, traffic, crime, and pollution. It's about as close to the Biblical Eden as you're likely to find here on Earth. Why would anyone ever want to leave?


I was lying in my hammock one afternoon, enjoying the smell of salt in the air and the sense of peace. My skirt's hem gently rose and fell as the breeze blew over me. I gave up trying to keep my long blond hair away from my face. I should've braided it this morning, but I got lazy. It's easy to be lazy in paradise.


Through half-closed eyes, I could see a tall man wandering alone among the palm trees near the beach. He must've spotted me because he started walking straight toward me.


He must've been from the huge cruise ship that was anchored just outside the coral reefs. One arrived at this island about once a month. They were nothing more than floating hotels. Not like the sleek, beautiful ocean liners of my grandparents' generation.


From his appearance, he looked old enough to be my grandfather. He had short silver hair, dark eyes, an aloha shirt, pale green Bermuda shorts, and sandals. Oh, you tourists! Can't you ever wear anything that looks less blatantly touristy? Poor things.


“You're lucky, Miss,” he said.


“Indeed I am,” I said, closing my eyes again.


“We have to go back to our ship and eventually back to our urban life, and you get to stay here, doing whatever you want,” he went on.


“Why not jump ship?” I suggested. “What's forcing you to go when you obviously sound as if you'd rather stay?”


“I can't,” he said.


“Can't – or won't?” I asked. “There is a difference between them, you know.”


“It's not that easy,” he said.


I tried not to laugh. “It's easier than you think it is.”


“That depends,” he said. “Were you born here or did you move here?”


“Born and bred here,” I said. “My parents were immigrants from the West Coast of America. They'd had quite enough of it and wanted to live somewhere quieter and more peaceful. A place where they could have a baby who wouldn't have to suffer like they had.”


“And they could afford to leave it all behind and come here?” he asked.


I nodded. “They saved up, and when the time came, they left. Like a cat, they never looked back.”


“No regrets?” he asked.


“None,” I said, and opened my eyes again. “It's been a wonderful life here. Look – if you're that interested in island life, perhaps you could spend some time away from your fellow shipmates. See a side of the island that they'll never see. I don't have any plans.”


“I'd like that,” he said.


I opened my eyes, shading them with one hand. “How much time do you have before you have to be back on board?”


He checked his watch. “The last boarding is at midnight.”


You and Cinderella, I thought.


“Then you have plenty of time,” I said as I climbed out of my hammock. “That is if your wife doesn't mind.” I glanced at his hands but didn't see a wedding ring. Which proved nothing. He could've left it back in his cabin on the cruise ship.


“My wife died several years ago,” he said. “This was one of the islands we used to enjoy visiting when we went on cruises each winter.”


“I'm sorry to hear that,” I said, and I was sorry. I'd never married, but I remembered the sad looks on my father's face after my mother died. He never really stopped missing her and grieving until the day he also died. At least they were together again in heaven. “I think we could both use a distraction,” I said. “Are you up for a little bit of hiking?”


He nodded.


“By the way, my name is Gillian,” I said. “My friends call me Jill.”


“Nice to meet you, Jill,” he said. “My name's Simon.”


“Nice to meet you, Simon,” I said and gave him a friendly smile.


He smiled back.


----------


The island I lived on was basically five areas: the coral reefs that mostly surrounded it; the teardrop-shaped lagoon along the north coast; the solitary town was near the lagoon, roughly southeast of it; the jungle that covered most of the island; and then the mountains that towered along the west coast.


We were headed for the mountains but had to cross some of the jungle first.


As we walked along, Simon picked a hibiscus flower from one of the many hibiscus plants and gave it to me. I wondered if he'd done the same for his wife the first time they came here, years before I was born.


I put it in my hair, just above my right ear. “Thank you. I don't normally wear flowers in my hair.”


“It looks good on you,” he said.


I blushed a little. “And you are one smooth talker.”


Simon laughed softly. “My wife used to say that.”


“What was she like, if you don't mind me asking?” I asked.


“No, it's all right,” he said. “It's easier talking about her now than it was the first year after she died. She was much like you are. Tall, blond hair, blue eyes. Beautiful, lean, strong. If I didn't know any better, I would swear you were our daughter come back to us.” He glanced at me. Maybe a little afraid he'd said too much. He sighed, shrugged his shoulders, and went on. “We met at a beach barbecue in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. It was less crowded back in the early 1940s. I was there on leave before boarding a troopship for North Africa. She was there with some friends. They were all dressed casually, making me feel overdressed in my uniform.”


----------


They were sitting in a circle around a small bonfire. A small group of ladies relaxing together. Somehow, though, she got my attention more than her friends did. I tried not to stare.


“Hey, soldier!” she said and waved at me. “Why don't you join us?”


“If you don't mind?” I asked.


She shook her head. “You look like you could use some company. Shipping out soon?”


I nodded as I walked toward her and her friends. “Tomorrow.”


She looked sad. “That soon?”


“I'm afraid so,” I said.


They made room for me on the sand and I sat down between her and a redhead who reminded me of the actress, Gene Tierney. Introductions were exchanged and by the last one, it almost felt like we were old friends rather than being newly acquainted.


Lou Ann was the only dark-haired one. She was rather pretty and had a sort of gypsy look to her. I saw an acoustic guitar lying behind her. She saw me look at it, picked it up, and laid it in her lap.


“Got any favorites?” she asked me.


“Anything by Glenn Miller would be perfect,” I said.


We all listened as Lou Ann played “Moonlight Cocktail” followed by “When Fools Rush In”. She had a low voice for a woman and it accompanied her guitar-playing quite well. When she finished, we applauded. She thanked us and laid her guitar back on the sand again.


Donna, the blonde who'd first called to me, said “It's a shame you can't stay another day, Simon.”


“I wish I could,” I told her. “I'd love to spend some more time with you.”


She gave me a warm smile. “You are one smooth talker.”


“I meant it,” I said.


“Maybe after the war, then,” Donna said. “Look me up. I'll still be here in Myrtle Beach, waiting for you.”


“I definitely will,” I said.


We exchanged addresses so that we could write while I was on the other side of the Atlantic. She'd even spray a little of her favorite perfume on the envelopes. A reminder of her even though we were so far apart.


The army postman would take a big sniff each time and say, “Simon, I think this is another letter from your girlfriend. It sure smells good. Must be a beauty.”


“She sure is,” I'd say, and go back to my bunk to read each letter as privately as possible.


----------


“When did you get married?” I asked.


“Just after the war ended in Europe,” Simon said. “I was afraid I'd be shipped over to the Pacific, but instead I was transferred back Stateside. The first leave I got, I headed for Myrtle Beach as soon as I could. And Donna was waiting for me. It didn't take long for us to become more than just friends. The day before my leave ended, I knelt and asked her to marry me. For a moment she just stood there, dazed, and my heart hammered like crazy. Then she nodded and said, 'Yes'.”


“Sounds like the beginning of a wonderful life together,” I said.


“It sure was,” he said. I wasn't sure if he was going to cry. “It sure was.”


By now, we'd left the jungle behind and walked across a rope-and-wood footbridge. You could hear the river flowing by underneath us. Up ahead, were the mountains, all green and beautiful.


“This island never ceases to amaze me,” he said. “So much to explore and see. I can't imagine anyone living here ever getting bored.”


“It probably happens once in a blue moon,” I said. “We're only human, after all.”


“Where are we headed for?” Simon asked, looking ahead of us.


I pointed to a waterfall on the mountain nearest us. It looked small from here, like a thread of silver. “There's a trail that climbs up to the top of it. The view from there is amazing.”


“I can't wait,” he said.


----------


At the top of the waterfall, there was an observation deck. The wood under our feet and the railings were all dark and wet. You could feel the spray on your face and arms. From here, the town seemed tiny, dominated by a toy-boat-sized cruise ship.


“I wish I didn't have to go back to it,” Simon said softly.


“I did say you could jump ship,” I said. “I could hide you until the ship left.”


“That's very tempting,” he said.


“But not enough to motivate you?” I asked.


“I don't know yet,” Simon said. “Ask me again when we get back to your hammock. Right now I just want to enjoy being here. You've made this the best visit I've had here in a very long time.”


“What was it when you first arrived here with your wife?” I asked.


“It was different back then,” he said. “The baby boom hadn't yet happened. Ex-soldiers were taking advantage of the G.I. Bill. And they were testing nuclear weapons. Bombs as big as the ones that fell on Japan, and later, some even bigger. The biggest was actually tested by the Russians. The Tsar Bomba.”


“Didn't anyone worry about radioactive fallout?” I asked.


“We were much more innocent about it,” Simon said. “We even thought that dark glasses would be enough protection for your eyes if you watched a bomb test outside the blockhouse.”


“I guess it's a good thing that such tests are illegal now,” I said. “The test ban treaty was signed, after all.”


“They might be illegal,” he said, “but that probably won't stop anyone from finding a place to test one. They tested them at Bikini Atoll, Kwajalein, and Eniwetak. What would stop them from testing one here?”


“Because our island is still inhabited,” I said.


“For now,” Simon said. “But don't think the US government won't stoop to using eminent domain to get what they want.” He looked at me. “Just because I was a soldier doesn't mean that I always agreed with the US government. You might be thousands of miles away from Washington DC, but that doesn't mean they aren't aware of you, your fellow residents, and your island.”


I didn't say anything. It didn't seem real. We were so far away from the West Coast and even further away from Washington DC. What could they possibly do to us here?


“Maybe we should head back,” he suggested.


I nodded in agreement.


----------


We reached where my hammock at sunset. The sun at the end of the day had never looked so vivid to me before. It looked like it was setting both the sky and ocean on fire.


I remembered what Simon had said about the post-war bomb tests here in the Pacific. Entire islands evacuated so that incredibly powerful and destructive bombs could be tested.


“I think I've made my decision,” he said.


As he spoke, the postman arrived. Sometimes there was additional mail delivered several hours after the usual daily delivery time.


“Letter for you, Miss Yeager,” he said, handing an envelope to me. He nodded at me and then at Simon, and then left.


The envelope had a printed government return address in Washington DC.


“Don't you want to open it?” Simon asked me. “It could be important.”


My hands started shaking a little. “I have the unpleasant feeling that it is.”


“Would rather I opened it instead?” he asked.


“Please do,” I said and handed the envelope to him.


He didn't hesitate and opened it. He pulled out a single sheet of paper with a typed message on it and tried not to stare at what he read.


“Oh my God,” Simon said.


“Bad news?” I asked.


He nodded and handed me the sheet of paper. “Evacuation order. Not just for you, but for everyone on this island.”


I read the letter:


Dear Ms. Yeager,


We regret to inform you that you and your fellow islands must leave your island within the next two weeks. The US government will pay for your transport to whichever destination you wish to travel to, as well as your relocation expenses. It is unknown if you will ever be permitted to return to your island. We apologize for any inconvenience.


Sincerely,

Secretary of the Interior


“Did you know?” I asked Simon.


He shook his head. “I suspected that it might happen again. I didn't expect it to happen so soon. Surely the UN and the Atomic Energy Commission already know about it or they wouldn't have approved it.”


“Maybe they don't,” I said. “Maybe this is under their radar.”


“I'm so sorry, Jill,” he said quietly.


I tried not to cry. When you're a woman in her 40s, surely the urge to cry is less than it was when you were a child. I threw the letter away and cried anyway.


“It's not fair!” I complained. “We did nothing wrong! We were minding our own business!”


“I don't think you can file a lawsuit to block it from happening,” Simon said. “Not this sort of action. If the government is that determined, then they're going to get what they want.”


I looked at him. “What would you do, then? Just sit there and let it happen?”


He looked thoughtful. “You have to evacuate. There's no choice in the matter. But they said they would pay for it. Why not leave with me, on the cruise ship?”


“Even if they let me, where would I stay on the ship?” I asked.


“It's a double-berth cabin,” Simon said. “Two beds. I'll sleep in one, you can sleep in the other one.”


I looked around us, at the palm trees, at the beach, at the waves flowing in and out, and at the hammock.


“It's funny how I thought that you would be the one to decide whether to jump ship or not,” I said. “Now it feels like the shoe is on the other foot. I'm the one who has to decide.”


I wiped away the tears as best I could and sighed.


“All right,” I said. “I'll take your offer. But I don't know what I'll do once I get to the States. I've never been away from this island before. This is the only home I've ever known. And now they're just going to tear it away from all of us. As if it meant nothing to us.”


“Jill –” Simon said.


“I know, I know,” I said. “It's a waste of breath and energy. They'll get their island for their stupid bomb test or tests.” I sighed again. “You're welcome to come with me and help me pack. I won't be able to take everything with me, though. I'll take as much as I can.”


“I'll help,” he said. “I promise.”


“Thank you,” I said.


“I should be the one thanking you,” he said. “You showed me your beautiful island. I'll never forget it or your friendship and hospitality.”


I found the thrown-away letter and angrily stuffed it back in its envelope.


“When we return to the States, you're welcome to stay at my home until you find a place of your own,” Simon offered. “You won't be imposing on me. There's plenty of room for two people.”


“Offer accepted,” I said. “We'd better hurry. I don't want to miss the ship's departure.”

February 28, 2021 01:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

45 comments

Courtney C
05:15 Mar 08, 2021

Very well written. The use of flashbacks was interesting, but my one (hopefully constructive) criticism is that it seems a little looping and leisurely instead of direct and brisk. Although, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I did like how there was a role reversal in their situations. Cleverly done.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
17:25 Mar 08, 2021

Thank you. I'm glad you liked it. I've had some mild complaints from other writers on this website about possible overuse of flashbacks. But I've liked the idea of stories-with-stories for many years now. I try not to have extensive flashbacks, but it all depends on the story. Sometimes a flashback only needs to be brief. Though I'll be the first to say that I'm not that good at being concise/terse. I sometimes ramble a bit too much in a story and then I have to cut back during the editing process. That happened with the most recent ...

Reply

Courtney C
23:51 Mar 08, 2021

Well, I'll be the first to say I shouldn't criticize anyone for flashbacks. I'm a big fan of them myself, and when used well, I feel that they can really elevate a story. Back when I read "On Writing" by Stephen King in high school, his rule was that you should cut 10% or so from your draft. That seems to be a good rule of thumb. Any fluff, anything non-essential to the story, anything obvious enough that the reader should be able to figure out on their own -- cut. When it comes to plotting, I'm no expert, but some things that could help...

Reply

Philip Clayberg
04:15 Mar 09, 2021

Complete agreement. I've tried to learn not to *overuse* flashbacks. If they're long and rambling (and the reader loses track of what was happening in the present), then obviously they aren't helping the overall story. But if they help the story without being overly long, then good. When I edit, I often rewrite not only the present-day material but also the flashbacks. I want everything in the story to work together, rather than just confusing and annoying the reader. If something doesn't work, I either move it to where it *does* work ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Asha Pillay
16:45 Mar 02, 2021

Very entertaining..I also liked you being so thoughtful of reminding your readers about the changes.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
17:05 Mar 02, 2021

Glad you liked reading it. There were plenty more changes than the ones I mentioned, but I thought that (after the first two readers read and "liked" the story) I should mention any post-story-submission changes. That way, they could go back and reread the story and see if they liked the old version better or the new version better. For me, editing is something that seems to never end. I either keep rereading and editing a story or I finally just have to let it go and start writing a new story instead. Having 3000 words at most to work ...

Reply

Asha Pillay
03:17 Mar 03, 2021

Is it possible for me to send my stories to you for proofread before posting it?

Reply

Philip Clayberg
03:30 Mar 03, 2021

Sure! You can email me at: russianteacookie@gmail.com. Please put a little reminder note in the subject field, letting me know why you emailed me and then attach the short story's file. In the message field, feel free to say whatever you wish.

Reply

Asha Pillay
03:35 Mar 03, 2021

Thanks so much

Reply

Philip Clayberg
03:37 Mar 03, 2021

*perspires* No sweat. (grin)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
16:01 Mar 10, 2021

Heya

Reply

Philip Clayberg
16:27 Mar 10, 2021

Hi there. Been an interesting week so far. Having difficulties with ordering groceries online. I'd really rather go in person, but sometimes my lower left leg and foot hurt enough that I'd rather stay at home (especially when it's cold outside). Today it's 70 degrees, so I think I can pick up a pizza order at Little Caesar's (but not the pretzel-crust pizza this time; I'm going back to just regular crust). But I have to wait for my online grocery order to finish first (they're at the story and haven't arrived here yet). That way I'm ho...

Reply

B. W.
17:25 Mar 10, 2021

I guess I've been doing good, I actually decided to work on a new novel. Though this time, it's going to be one where I actually hope to publish it and everything like that. All of the other novels I've been working on have mostly just been for fun and stuff I'm never going to publish, though not this one. It actually involves Greek Mythology and some other ones as well.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
20:14 Mar 10, 2021

Oh cool! I wish you all the luck in the world getting it published (once you finish writing it). Luck is very important, from what I've read. Otherwise, your novel is just one of many in what's called a "slush pile". You might also need to get a literary agent to represent you and, hopefully, they'll be able to help you get your novel published. I'm envious of people who can not only plot an entire novel but also finish it and risk plenty of rejections before it gets accepted. Your story idea sounds interesting. I don't usually includ...

Reply

B. W.
21:37 Mar 10, 2021

I don't think I've told you what it's about besides that it involves a lot of Mythology, I could tell you a bit of the plot of the novel if you want? If I ever do get it published, I think I'll make it an actual series or something and not just have a single book of it, I kinda already have a lot of ideas for the first one and the other ones.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
22:50 Mar 10, 2021

The choice is yours. I'll read it if you tell me about it. I confess that I'm not as much into mythology as I used to be (I used to love reading about Greek myths when I was in grade school). When I was younger, it seemed like there were fewer authors trying to write epic-length series of novels (a la "Lord of the Rings"). But as I've gotten older, I've seen more and more "epics" and they're not always well-written. Some seem far too over-inflated and should've been edited more than they were. I hope yours focuses more on quality rathe...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philip Clayberg
17:01 Feb 28, 2021

For the three readers who have already read the story, I made just one more change today: When the narrator said "for a woman in her 60s", I changed "60s" to "40s". That seems to fit the story's timeline better. Also, if you're wondering when the story takes place, I'm guessing somewhere around 2000 or 2005. Which means that Simon is probably about 80 years old (and still in fairly good shape). He was probably about 20 or so back in 1942.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.