0 comments

Coming of Age Contemporary

As the first rays of dawn crept through the gaps in the curtains, Alex woke to the persistent buzz of his phone on the nightstand. He squinted at the early light filtering through the curtains, its pale fingers stretching across his room. Groggy but curious, he reached over and fumbled for his phone. The notification light blinked insistently. As he picked it up, he saw a text message notification that seemed oddly out of place. The sender's name read: “Alex - 15 Years Ago.”

Alex blinked, rubbing his eyes, thinking it was a trick of his still-sleepy vision. But no, the name hadn’t changed. It was as if his phone was playing a cruel prank. The message was from himself—fifteen years earlier. With a mix of skepticism and intrigue, he opened the message.

"Hi Alex," it began. "I know this might seem strange, but if you’re reading this, it means I’ve somehow managed to reach you from the past. Please, listen carefully. Your decisions today will set off a chain of events that could lead to disastrous consequences. Avoid the meeting with Nathan at 2 PM and stay away from the old warehouse on Elm Street."

Alex stared at the screen, his pulse quickening. Nathan was his business partner, and their meeting was crucial for the company’s next big project. The old warehouse on Elm Street, however, had been abandoned for years. Why would his past self warn him about it? The message seemed like a cruel joke or an elaborate prank, but the urgency and specificity were hard to ignore.

He glanced at the clock: 7:00 AM. The day stretched ahead of him, with the meeting looming like a dark cloud. His mind whirred with questions. Could there be some truth to the message? Could it be a sign or a test of some kind?

Alex spent the next few hours in a haze. He went through the motions of his morning routine—showering, dressing, and grabbing a quick breakfast—but his mind was occupied with the message. The usual clarity of purpose he felt about his work was replaced with a gnawing sense of unease. He couldn’t shake the feeling that he was standing on the edge of a precipice, looking into an abyss he couldn’t quite comprehend.

Around noon, he found himself staring at his phone, the time ticking away mercilessly. He could already envision the meeting with Nathan: the boardroom, the confident nods, the feeling of progress. But now, every detail seemed tainted by the message. The more he thought about it, the more he questioned the potential consequences of ignoring it.

With a deep breath, Alex decided to heed the warning. He called Nathan to cancel the meeting, citing an urgent personal matter. Nathan was understandably perplexed but agreed to reschedule. As Alex ended the call, he felt a strange mix of relief and apprehension. He had chosen to play it safe, but what was he missing?

By late afternoon, the need to satisfy his curiosity became overwhelming. Alex decided to investigate the old warehouse on Elm Street. He needed to know why his past self had gone through such lengths to warn him. The drive was short, and as he approached the decrepit building, an unsettling chill permeated the warm September air. The warehouse loomed ahead, its once-proud facade now a dilapidated shell of crumbling brick and broken glass. Weeds had claimed the parking lot, and the place seemed like a relic from another era, suffused with an eerie silence.

Alex parked his car and walked up to the warehouse. The door, hanging askew on rusted hinges, creaked ominously as he pushed it open. The interior was bathed in a dim, unsettling light that filtered through shattered windows. Dust motes floated lazily in the beams, creating an otherworldly atmosphere. The musty scent of neglect and decay filled his nostrils, mingling with the faint, chemical tang of old paint and oil.

He stepped cautiously into the cavernous space. The warehouse was a vast expanse of emptiness, with only the occasional rusted beam or broken crate breaking up the monotony. Shadows clung to the corners like ghosts, and the silence was profound, broken only by the occasional drip of water from a leaky pipe.

As he moved further into the warehouse, he felt a strange sensation, as if he were being watched. His footsteps echoed, amplifying the eerie quiet. He walked along rows of abandoned machinery, their once-functional parts now coated in layers of grime and spiderwebs. The air was thick and oppressive, making each breath a conscious effort.

Then he heard it—a faint, desperate whisper. The sound seemed to come from somewhere deeper within the warehouse, a soft and unsettling murmur that tugged at his curiosity. Alex followed the sound, his footsteps muffled by the thick layer of dust on the floor. The whisper grew louder, more insistent, guiding him towards a dark corner of the warehouse.

There, obscured by shadows, he discovered a small, rusted door partially hidden behind a stack of old crates. The door was locked, but Alex managed to pry it open with a crowbar he found nearby. The rusty metal groaned in protest, and the door swung open with a reluctant creak.

Inside, the room was dimly lit, with only a small window high up on one wall allowing in a sliver of daylight. The space was filled with a jumble of old documents, yellowed with age, and a dusty, rusted briefcase lying in the middle of the room. The documents were strewn about haphazardly, their edges curled and brittle.

Alex approached the briefcase cautiously. He could feel his heart pounding in his chest as he lifted the lid. Inside were a collection of papers, their surfaces covered in handwritten notes and typed reports. As he sifted through them, his breath caught in his throat. The documents detailed illicit transactions, shady dealings, and a series of financial manipulations. Among them were records implicating Nathan in various forms of corruption and betrayal.

The realization hit Alex like a cold wave. The warning from his past self had been a lifeline, steering him away from a potentially disastrous partnership and the legal troubles that would have ensued. The evidence in the briefcase was damning, enough to bring down Nathan and destroy everything Alex had worked for if he had gone through with the meeting.

He stood in the dim light of the small room, his mind racing. The significance of the message he had received, the warning that had seemed so surreal, now made perfect sense. He had been given a chance to change the course of his future, to avoid a fate that would have unraveled everything he had built.

As he walked out of the warehouse, the weight of the discovery settled over him. The chill in the air seemed to lift, replaced by a sense of resolve. He had acted on the warning and had avoided a catastrophe. His heart pounded with both relief and gratitude as he stepped back into the light of the setting sun.

Alex drove home with a newfound appreciation for the strange twists of fate that had intervened in his life. The message from his past self had saved him from ruin, and he vowed to make the most of the second chance he had been given. The old warehouse, with its secrets and shadows, would remain a haunting reminder of how close he had come to disaster, and how the echoes of the past had reached out to guide him to a better future.

September 15, 2024 10:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.