Contest #200 winner 🏆

126 comments

Horror

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

“Right, you stinking mutt, into your cell and keep quiet.” The gaoler manhandled Edmond Barker into a cold, damp room then clanged an iron-barred gate behind him and turned a key in the lock. His rancid beer breath rattled in Edmond’s nose. “Now both of you listen up! The man in the cell next to you could be your saviour or your downfall. The secret to your release is somewhere in the cell next to yours, so only your companion can find it. High tide is in one hour and will completely fill both your cells. Be out or be drowned.”


“Hey! You next door!” Edmond grabbed the cell gate. “Come to your bars, let me shake your hand. My name is Edmond Barker. Reach through and shake my hand.” Edmond held his arm out as far as he could to the left, and another man grasped his fingers.

The other man’s hand was greasy and rough, dirt and dust were ingrained in it - the poor sod had been down here a while. They shook for a few moments before the other man released his grip.


“Now hold on just a moment there, gentlemen,” the gaoler said. “There are rules. I said keep quiet, didn’t I?” He tapped his boot on the stone floor. There was faint puddle-splash already. “Since you’re so keen, Edmond Barker, you can go first. You may relay whatever you know to your fellow prisoner, and try to free him first, but he must not communicate anything to you in return until he is free of his cell. So be quick about it. A drowning man will be less likely to stick around and help you.”


“We don’t have much time. Is there anything in your cell that suggests where I should start my search?”


The other man simply moaned.


“Come, friend, what’s your name?” Edmond strained his ears for any response but there was nothing more.


“Perhaps,” said the gaoler, scraping a wooden chair along the floor and taking a seat with a deep sigh, “your companion takes the rules more seriously than you do. And perhaps, that is the best for both of you.”


Edmond started searching for clues. He shuffled to the front, right, bottom corner of his cell wall, against the bars, sweeping his fingers over the rough stonework, moving higher and to the left. He felt for any slight indentation or irregularity in the wall.


“There is nothing here.” He shook his fist into the air, then ran his grazed fingers over the empty sockets where his eyes used to be. “It will take longer than an hour to examine the entire cell."


“Perhaps you should have thought of that before. You might still have your sight if you hadn’t gawped at the King’s daughter in her dressing room.”


“I heard her scream! I ran to her aid! I wasn’t to know her distress was caused by a new corset being fitted.”


“You had no business in that part of the palace. And you have paid the price of being there.”


Edmond ran the tips of his fingers under his tattered shirt and over the branded skin on his chest: PEEPING TOM. King Benson was cruel, and his high court dished out what they considered "fitting penalties".


The blinded man turned his attention to the back wall of his cell. He started in the top left corner, feeling over the stonework as rapidly as he could, there was nothing unusual.


“What am I missing?” Edmond shouted at the guard. “What is there here that I would see if I had eyes to see it with?”


“I’m going to set another rule,” said the gaoler. “You may ask me only three questions. You can expect honest answers, but I will not tell you anything which might lead to your immediate release. There must be some element of wit about you in order to escape.”


“You can’t keep changing the rules!” Edmond fell into a desperate crouch near the ground, quaking on his bare feet.


“I will do whatever I wish. Now choose your questions carefully.”


Edmond reached out a hand to steady himself, placing it firmly on the floor as he rocked forward in despair. His fingers caught a deep groove, as if between two flag stones, but when he followed it to its end, some three inches later, it did not adjoin another stone.


He sat down and felt the groove again, in both directions. At one end was the shape of an arrowhead, carved into the floor. He ran his hands in the direction the arrow pointed and there was another groove carved into the rock, this one at right angles to the first, but again ending in an arrowhead. There was a whole series of them, each pointing to another. He followed the trail.


After a short time, Edmond’s fingers found the unwelcome coldness of rising sea water.


“The cell is flooding! We don’t have long. We must work together.”


The gaoler cleared his throat. “Now be reminded that your cell mate must not communicate anything to you until you free him from his cell.”


“Ah, we will both be drowned!” The water was nearly covering Edmond’s fingers.


The sea continued to rise as Edmond worked. The blood vessels in his feet and hands constricting with the dropping temperature of the water around them. He clenched and flexed his hands as he went, trying to keep them warm, but as the ocean swirled into his cell it brought freezing air with it and soon his whole body quivered.


By the time Edmond had found the final arrow, the water was deep enough that he had to raise himself up on his knees to breathe every minute or so. With each jagged breath he took, he risked losing the point on the floor he had reached, but each time he managed to find it again.


The final arrow pointed to a specific stone in the bottom of the wall, and there were markings on that, too. He ran his shaking fingers, sore and scratched from the floor, across the carving and read out the letters as he went.


“M I R R O R – Mirror. The word is mirror. What can it mean?”


“No one here is permitted to answer that question,” said the gaoler, his breath catching in his throat as the cold began to affect him too.


“Friend, if there is a mirror in your cell look behind it, around it, under it. No, wait – your key will be in my cell, and vice versa. That’s how this works! We must find each other’s freedom.”


The water had reached Edmond’s knees.


“You will have to hurry up in there. My boots are soaked through, and I’ll not stay much longer,” said the gaoler, his voice becoming mist on the air.


“Mirror! Mirror! What does it mean? Opposite?”


Edmund took a breath and hurried back down on all fours, shuffling about in the freezing, salty water. He shivered and shook as he counted how many stones there were from the back wall to the one with the clue. Seven.


He stood, numbing water dripping from his ragged clothes, and felt his way to the opposite wall. He held his nose, crouched down again, submerged himself in the bitter saline, and counted seven bricks in on the lowest level of the wall. He must have felt this stone before, but now he had reason to think there was something special about it, he paid more attention.


On the top right corner of the stone there was a gap in the mortar, big enough to get a fingertip inside.


Edmond lifted his head and drew a deeper breath. His whole body juddered with nerves and cold. Then he sank himself back into the sea water to fight for his life. His lungs in shock, his chest contracting, he fought against the panic. Edmond forced his concentration and pulled and pushed against the corner of the stone until something came loose. He lifted his head again to gulp in stale air, and then pulled himself back down, his skin raised in goose bumps, every muscle tensed to a shiver.


After several jerks, the stone came free from the wall, and he reached into the hole where it had sat, scraping his painful fingertips over the rough surface. On the next stone back in the wall was a smooth, metal hook, and on the hook was a key.


Edmond wrestled the key from its home and stood back up on tight, quivering legs. “I’ve got it, I’ve got a key!”


“And just in time,” said the gaoler. “I’m about to go and dry myself by the fire. It’s freezing in here!”


“You can’t go yet, I need my escape too.”


“Well, that depends entirely on your companion, doesn’t it? Give me the key, he has to be free first.”


Edmond staggered to the metal bars, feet cramping, head reeling, and handed the key through them. The gaoler took it from his trembling hand, and there was the clinking of a lock as the water continued to rise.


“Are you going to help me? Friend?” Edmond managed to splutter through the bars.


The other man waded out of his cell and stood directly in front of Edmond on the other side of the bars. He took Edmond's right hand in his left, passing Edmond's bleeding fingers under his saturated shirt and over his branded chest.


“Would you like to ask your questions now?” the gaoler asked.


“Does he already know how to save me?” Edmond said, the water now past waist deep.


“Yes," stammered the gaoler through chattering teeth. "He must simply speak the word carved into the wall in his cell.”


“Then why does he not do it?” Edmond screamed at the man, pulling his hands back from his chest.


"He's trying to tell you that himself," said the gaoler.


The other man reached through the bars and took Edmond’s hands again, placing them back on his skin.


“What was your crime?” Edmond asked as he steadied himself in the water, breathing hard, and tried to examine the brand.


T R A I T O R


“Traitor! A traitor to who? The King?” Edmond was dizzy. He didn't know how traitors were treated.


“That’s right,” said the gaoler. “A traitor through and through."


"And what would he say if I asked him how he was punished?"


"If he could speak, he would have to say: My Lips Are Sealed." The gaoler paused for a moment and let out a grim laugh. "It's time for us to go, Edmond. You have been unlucky."


Edmond screamed and rattled the bars of his cell as the chilling water rushed at chest height around him. He strained his voice and every sinew of his body, raging against the king and against his own torment. There was a moment of warmth in his right hand as the other prisoner gripped it. The man leaned his head against the grasp, as if to express horror and sorrow that he could not help. A tiny moment of hope, and then it was gone.


"Come on lad, up the steps," said the gaoler, pulling the other man away. "You should know by now you can't help them, the others. Your lips are one thing, but that's your true punishment, to be a traitor to your own kind. You'll do it all again tomorrow night, and the next, and the next. Until some poor bastard fails to find the key."


Edmond collapsed into the swirling water. The last thing he heard were heavy footsteps traipsing away up the steps above him.

May 31, 2023 20:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

126 comments

M. M.
12:25 Jun 16, 2023

For a very very short horror prose this was brilliantly done. I haven't been here in awhile and chose your story as a first to read. Congrats it was very impressive and deserved the win.

Reply

19:13 Jun 18, 2023

Thanks M! These are kind words indeed. I'm glad you read this and didn't find it a disappointing return to Reedsy. I hope you'll stick around.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
01:52 Jun 16, 2023

Love the ending. Very glad an adventure won. Clapping.

Reply

19:11 Jun 18, 2023

Thank you Tommy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Rye
01:38 Jun 15, 2023

Clever! Gave me a few chills… I love the little world you build in so few paragraphs. Didn’t even feel like an info dump. Always love it when we can find new ‘worlds’ in such short stories, especially with the word limit.

Reply

04:43 Jun 15, 2023

Thank you Amanda, I'm really glad liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andrea Corwin
23:00 Jun 14, 2023

I enjoyed reading this and like the horror genre. Very good twist at the end - the comment the jailer made to the cellmate! That poor fellow has only terror awaiting each night. Great job. You moved this short story along nicely. Some of the critiques here are helpful.

Reply

04:42 Jun 15, 2023

Thank you Andrea. I'm really glad to hear you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:42 Jun 14, 2023

You captured me with the first sentence! An excellent story!!!

Reply

19:20 Jun 14, 2023

Thank you Maryanne. I am often told not to open with dialogue - but I guess it works here.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Steve Uppendahl
20:35 Jun 13, 2023

Wow. That was brutal. And amazing. It made me think of Greek Mythology. A man forced to relive the same nightmare again and again. Makes me wonder what his traitorous crime was and his relation to the king. Seems personal to me. (That could be a linked story - just an idea!) Congrats on your win! Write on.

Reply

20:41 Jun 13, 2023

Thank you Steve - I really appreciate your kind words. Personally I tend to think that the "Traitor" hasn't really done anything wrong - the "Peeping Tom" was innocent - perhaps King Benson just likes torturing people? Sometimes I wonder how these ideas get in my head - I'm actually quite nice in real life!

Reply

Steve Uppendahl
21:03 Jun 13, 2023

Oh, I get you, 100%! I can come up with some twisted stuff myself. But, I consider myself nice. (Though, I'm sure some of my students would disagree.) Keep up the great work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Pasomi Mucha
12:36 Jun 13, 2023

This is one of the most gripping stories I have ever read here. Congratulations for a very well deserved win!

Reply

18:24 Jun 13, 2023

Thank you Pasomi!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Siddham
09:15 Jun 13, 2023

Gripping till the end. Very well written, and very clever how you revealed Edmond's crime. Congrats!

Reply

11:45 Jun 13, 2023

Thanks very much John!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarah Saleem
07:49 Jun 13, 2023

I love that ending!, it's spine chilling and tragic at the same time!, true horror with all it's thrills!

Reply

11:44 Jun 13, 2023

Thank you Sarah!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zatoichi Mifune
15:20 Jun 12, 2023

Oh gosh that's good. One of the best stories I've read, I enjoyed it so much! Really interesting. I can see why this won. So if I'm getting this right, the other man isn't allowed to help Edmond or whoever is in the cell next, so they basically just die... but they die thinking that they had a chance and failed? I think I've got that wrong. Also the 'until etc etc fails to find the key'... Fails to find it? Then they would both die? I could (try to) analyse and re-read this story for hours and I wouldn't get bored.

Reply

16:57 Jun 12, 2023

Hi there, thank you for reading and for your kind words about the story! Yes you are correct.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sherry Bazley
02:04 Jun 12, 2023

Wow. I really enjoyed that. You established the time and setting, the problem and the solution in the first five paragraphs and then built tension into the story right up to the moment of denouement. You told it all with a such a delicate touch, which was sharp contrast to the cruel horror of the protagonist's fate. Great job. Thank you!

Reply

18:50 Jun 25, 2023

Thank you Sherry, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:35 Jun 12, 2023

Great story!

Reply

18:50 Jun 25, 2023

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
16:08 Jun 11, 2023

I just know that the prompt is where the winner will come from. Fine work here. Congrats.

Reply

16:10 Jun 11, 2023

Thank you Philip!

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
15:08 Jun 12, 2023

Welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
09:24 Jun 11, 2023

Really gripping! The twist at the end is so unsettling and you do a marvelous job of just leaving it there for the reader to work out what the real punishment is. Well earned win!

Reply

09:52 Jun 11, 2023

Thank you Anne, I'm really glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sjan Evardsson
22:05 Jun 10, 2023

Congrats on the well-deserved win!

Reply

22:06 Jun 10, 2023

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:13 Jun 10, 2023

There were a few things in this story that caught my attention: - With Edmond being blind, how would he know the jailer's breath became mist on the air? It's clear by the rest of the text that the piece is written purely from Edmond's perspective, so this is quite a jarring break from the pattern. This kind of thing occurs in other places, too. How would Edmond know the man was wading from his cell? How would he know the man was standing directly in front of him? I'm not saying he can't know some of these things, it's just that the text does...

Reply

21:13 Jun 10, 2023

Hi Claire, THANK YOU! I love it when people pay this level of attention and I really appreciate that you took so much time to respond to this story, it really means a lot to me. You may have read some of the other comments that refer to the switch in POV and yes, I recognise that as an issue with this piece. Sadly, as is often the case when I only have a week to write and edit, I did not have time to go over it as much as I would have liked to and given more opportunity I would have worked harder to fix that. It was pointed out before the de...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mishael S. N
10:41 Jun 10, 2023

Woohoo! Katherine you wowed me. Will there be another chapter of the story? I love your choice of words, you were graphic in your description, the suspense, top notch. You got my full attention, then the story ended and I was not disappointed. Congratulations.

Reply

10:44 Jun 10, 2023

Thank you! This is great to hear. I doubt there will be more of this story though, none of my characters live long enough for me to write a sequel!!

Reply

Mishael S. N
23:07 Jun 16, 2023

Fair enough. You did a great job.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Brittany Butler
03:26 Jun 10, 2023

I really enjoyed this - congratulations on the win! It pulls the reader in quickly, is perfectly paced, and is strong in its simplicity. And oh gosh, realizing the other prisoner's real punishment was "to be a traitor to [his] own kind?" I'm still wincing! Well done.

Reply

09:34 Jun 10, 2023

Thank you Brittany! Yeah, that last twisted punishment was added in a later edit. I love when I find a twist within a twist. Thank you for reading. I hope that wincing stops soon!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:49 Jun 10, 2023

Very frightening. Had to read to the horrible end. As you wrote to 'my lips are sealed' I began to realize that the other prisoner couldn't speak. What a problem. Oh dear. Kept on hoping Edmond may somehow be saved but he couldn't be. And so wrongfully imprisoned. Well written. Very disturbing.

Reply

09:35 Jun 10, 2023

Thank you Kaitlyn. I really appreciate your comments. Yes, sadly for Edmond there was no way out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Glenda Toews
01:08 Jun 10, 2023

Oh, God, the ending... Chilling... I always give my husband crap when he wants to turn on horrors and bloody hell, I just read one! Very Well Done Katharine! I don't want to dive deeper into your brain 😆 Congratulations on your win!

Reply

09:36 Jun 10, 2023

Thanks Glenda. Honestly sometimes I don't want to dive deeper into my brain either! I appreciate your kind words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.