The Day in a Life

Submitted into Contest #197 in response to: Write a story that includes the phrase “I’m free!”... view prompt

8 comments

Contemporary Fiction Funny

The alarm did not go off, but he was ready. Jason was always ready, but this was a day that was going to be extra special for him and maybe…a few others? The lamplight blinded him for a moment. There was a little time left for a shower and some cleaning up before heading out. The cat was fed – it kept showing up all month and he made sure the bowls were filled – and the weather finally turned (their first day that month without rain). He turned on the water for his bath and the shower head hit him on the nose. The spray of water was enough for a quick cleaning (he remembered someone calling it a “cowboy-style bath”). The toothbrush broke in his mouth and he almost choked on his Oral-B. Then the soap got in his eyes as he tried to wipe away the shampoo that somehow managed not to blind him. It was a beautiful day.

*

The bread bin was empty, so he was forced to eat the leftover hot dogs from last night and he ate it with some of the iced coffee that was included in the drive-thru (it was wise to use his own cup and add ice to it). The milk was rancid, but he did not notice this until he had tried to empty the carton down his throat as he turned on the television and the news from overseas flashed by (wars, earthquakes, floods, famine, disease, threats of war). The local news promised that the roads would be clear, the mayor could explain why he was nude in front of his home last weekend, and the causes of the freakish local weather patterns (snow was something all Canadians knew they would have to deal with, but having it so close to a heat wave made people concerned). Jason was sick into the sink’s pile of unwashed dishes as he heard the news of the light traffic that morning. A truly beautiful day.

*

The news was a lie, at least the local reports on traffic. At least seven cars were involved in a pile-up that kept Jason stuck on the exit ramp for at least thirty minutes. He noted the gas gauge, and he saw that there was only one gas station nearby by as he finally moved forward and his car was cut off by at least two other drivers who were also stuck on the highway. A woman gave him the finger as he pulled in and told him to perform an impossible sexual act. Jason considered this as he pulled into the last pump, saw that he had no cash on him, and noted that the price of gas had gone up that week (maybe one of those wars had something to do with this?) The clerk was screaming at another customer who was clearly shoplifting a carton of milk that had burst and spilled its 2% all over him, the counter, and the floor (at least it was not rancid, Jason thought silently to himself). Then it was clear he would have to use the ATM that charged him a larger-than-usual service fee as he withdrew his money and tried to pay for his gas. The clerk barely registered him as the other customer ran out of the store and he pressed a button under the counter, screaming to no one at all that the “little milk-hungry bastard” was on camera and the police were on their way. Jason did not want to see the rest of this play out, so he left far too many bills on the counter as he explained which pump he used, bought a pack of matches, and stepped outside (no change was asked for, announced or given). A bird used his windshield for relief and Jason used a broken squeegee to remove the still warm mess. A fire truck blared past him and he saw that it was heading to his part of town. An incredibly beautiful day.

*

Those matches were a good buy. The traffic cleared around his office as he pulled in and noted that the only space left was a handicapped spot (he had his fake card to place behind the windshield, and no one saw him walk from the car). The security guard did not recognize him until he showed his card – new guy for about two week so far – and he got to the elevator just as the leftovers staged a coup in his stomach. As he arrived on his floor, he did not notice the silence on the floor. Most of the cubicles were empty, and the ones that were occupied were too busy with phone calls, messages and other difficulties to note him and his awkward run to the shared restrooms. Again, it was silent in the bare grey stalls as the motion-sensitive lights blinked awake. The automatic flush system worked twice for Jason, so there was some relief. And there was little embarrassment to share if no one was around to hear it or engage in the olfactory abuse. The blue plume of smoke from the two matches seemed to him to be some sort of signal. Of what, he would not guess. It was quite beautiful.

But then he heard it.

The doors opened, and he heard two voices approach the urinals. Jason knew those voices very well. They were some of the upper management staff who had been running meetings and retreats with the rest of the office. He knew that they were going to do something big today, but he did not expect the chat he overheard at the sink. Jason raised his feet and dropped the matches into the still water.

“He’s in yet?”

“Not a sign of him. One smart one in the damn office.”

A rush of water from the automatic taps covered part of the chat. Jason could fill in the gaps.

“He stays. The others go?”

A pause that made his stomach act up again.

“Right. That’s how we’re gonna play this. Let him take the heat. Only one who understands the system and he is too valuable to lose…yet.”

More laughter over the air dryer (Jason truly hated Dyson and his invention).

“So, when he comes in, we let him know the ‘good news’?”

Jason almost heard those air quotes.

“Yeah, I’ll tell the rest at lunch. At least it’s Friday. Less likely to be an incident…”

“Right. Time to cut off some heads…”

He heard them walk out and enjoyed the silence. They knew that they had motion-sensitive lights on every floor, right? Jason opened the door to the stall slowly and went to the sink. The grey light over him flickered slightly but stayed lit. The sink and soap tap worked in tandem and he wiped his hands down with his own towel as he stared at his grinning face.

“I’m free!”

He whispered it, but he believed it.

It really was a beautiful day.

May 13, 2023 00:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Lily Finch
12:31 May 13, 2023

Kendall, this is an extraordinary story and a great take on the prompt. Your plot is developed well. Your flow and pace are spot on. Your theme of freedom was easy to spot too. It came through in the story as well as at the end. Your characters were real. The lie, deceit, and being in the washroom to overhear how the other two would leave the protagonist holding the bag was rich. Finally, he would be free. I hope I understood your story well. LF6

Reply

Kendall Defoe
21:21 May 19, 2023

I think you got it. I have worked in various offices, and I know the games that people play (he has to be optimistic just to keep himself going). And now that I teach in a college...not much has changed. Certain people are left 'holding the bag'. But I think my protagonist can use this to his advantage... Beautifully! ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
05:26 May 19, 2023

Wait. 1) he over heard that he was the only one NOT fired? 2) I don't actually have a second question. The great thing about a Kendal Defoe story (besides of thinking of William in that movie where he took one for the team).... Your gonna love the voice. The pure word flow is a river, rafting through your stories. Cat once a month? What details. Man playing with matches and saying "what a beautiful day" . (I'm thinking he's gonna go Office Space and raze that concrete. Lovely that concrete burns with an accelerant -- but then, no, wait......

Reply

Kendall Defoe
21:09 May 19, 2023

This is, without any shadows or doubts, the greatest response I have ever received on this page to one of my insane narratives. I am busy with exams and prepping material for the end of another semester at the college, but your comment has me thinking that I should expand my palette and try to rethink this and possibly other pieces on this page. Many thanks and I appreciate the clapplause! ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:04 May 14, 2023

Free to fret again.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
21:21 May 19, 2023

I always do.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
14:44 May 13, 2023

Very humorous exposition detailing all the minor and major tragedies that contribute to this character's "beautiful day." I was left thinking, however, that had the character returned home to find a minor catastrophe after triumphantly being fired from work, the story would have had been both more forgiving and more relentless toward the unfortunate fellow, and the tale's irony sweeter. I couldn't help but hum the melody to the Beatles song after which I presume the story is titled. A fitting soundtrack, indeed.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
21:23 May 19, 2023

John was responding to the newspaper; the protagonist here is living in a bad story. I was considering bringing him back home, but I built it up to point that the office had to be the key moment when things ended and you are left wondering what is so wonderful about his day. Thank you for the comments, and apologies for the delay. I somehow managed to write this in the middle of the exams and papers I still have to give out and finish up and I was too exhausted with the work. But take a look at this week's scribble... ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.