The Best Day of my Life by Sheri McComb

Submitted into Contest #52 in response to: You thought he was dead, but there he is, right in front of you on the street, smiling at you.... view prompt

2 comments

Mystery

I walked out of the bank, looking down at the money in my hand, trying to juggle it, my phone and my keys. I crossed the street without looking and heard brakes screeching. Startled, I looked up and saw a black pick up truck fishtailing towards me while its surprised operator was looking at me in horror. I put out my hands (as if I could stop a speeding truck) and actually touched the hood as it stopped not 6” from me. The driver, a middle-aged man jumped out of the truck and ran to me, shouting, “Are you okay?” and “She walked right in front of me!” to the people who had heard the screech and looked up to see what was happening. 

           “I-I’m sorry,” I said to the man feeling like an idiot. “I wasn’t paying attention. I guess it’s a good thing you were. Really, sorry,” I said hurrying away. I looked back and the man was still standing there, shaken at how close he’d come to hitting me. I turned and hit the remote on my car keys and promptly dropped them. I was really having a day here. I bent down to pick up my keys and when I stood up, there he was. Jesse. Standing on the sidewalk next to my car, smiling.  Jesse, whom I’d seen lowered into the ground six months ago, along with my broken heart. My hand opened in shock, the keys, money, and phone falling onto the street. I gaped at him, speechless. 

                                                           *****************

           Two years earlier I’d been a waitress at a busy coffee shop next to the college campus where I was a junior. I was going to be an architect and school was expensive. The waitressing job didn’t pay well and luckily my parents were footing most of the college bill. Waiting tables was more of a social thing than a money thing. College students do not tip well.

           It was September 12th when I first met Jesse and I remember the date because it was my birthday. I wasn’t supposed to work but another waitress got sick at the last minute and the manager begged me to cover her shift and I gave in. 

           I was wiping down tables when Jesse walked in. Sauntered is more like it. He was the best-looking guy I had ever seen and I’d seen some hotties. He was wearing jeans and a sweater and I could tell by the way he filled out the sweater that he worked out. He had light brown hair that was wavy and made a girl want to run her fingers through it. He had ocean blue eyes and when he smiled, his white teeth were perfect behind kissable looking lips. He was looking at me quizzically and I shook my head. How embarrassing; I’d been staring at him apparently and I could tell by his amused expression, he knew it.

           “I said, hi,” he said, continuing to smile his sparkling smile. “Can I still get coffee, or are you closing up?” He looked around at the empty restaurant. 

           “Yes. I mean you can get coffee, not that we’re closing,” I said feeling like an idiot. He just smiled that smile and slid into a booth. 

           “Coffee black, please,” he said. While I went to get his coffee, I could feel his eyes on me. I poured the coffee and set it in front of him. 

           “I know you,” he said. “Or I know of you, anyway.  You’re in my Art class.  I’ve seen your drawings in the drafting room. You’re really talented.”

           Blushing, I said, “Thanks. Are you an architecture major?”

           “No, engineering,” he said. But my dad insisted I ‘keep my options open’. “He’s an architect,” Jesse said. “I’m Jesse.” He put his hand out and I shook it.

           “Lonnie,” I said. “Nice to meet you.” I felt very awkward, just standing there. “Well I’d better finish up,” I said. “We close soon, but feel free to drink your coffee.” I scurried back behind the counter. My manager, Thad came out of the back. 

           “Hey, Lonnie, it’s your birthday. I’ll close up. You go on and enjoy your night,” he said. I grabbed my things and walked by Jesse’s table. He put his hand out to stop me.

           “Happy Birthday, Lonnie,” he said to me. “Do you have plans?” 

           Was he asking me out? I hoped he was, because he was one gorgeous guy.

           “Not really,” I answered. “I celebrated with my friends last night, so I’m on my own tonight.” I hoped I didn’t sound pathetic. 

           Jesse stood up and walked to the register, pulling out his wallet. “Hang on,” he said over his shoulder as he paid Thad. “C’mon,” he said to me grabbing my hand and pulling me out the door.

            That was the best birthday I’d ever had. He took me to an outdoor concert on campus and we drank warm beer and danced under the moon and stars. After that night we were inseparable. Jesse lived in an apartment just off campus and three months after we met, he talked me into moving in with him. We were crazy in love and spent all of our time together except when we were in class or working. Jesse had a job at a print shop and I loved visiting him and watching him run the big machine that copied blueprints.  He went home with me for Christmas and on spring break I went with him to visit his brother in Florida. On Sunday mornings we slept in, eating breakfast in bed, (usually muffins from the coffee shop) and spent the day walking around the city looking at the beautiful architecture. We talked about getting married after we both finished school and building our dream house so we could fill it with our perfect children who would always behave and would of course be great-looking. We never dreamed anything could come between us. We never imagined the nightmare that did.

                                                                       *********

           I’d always hated Halloween but it was Jesse’s favorite holiday. I went along with it because I adored him. He had a tradition of throwing a monstrous Halloween party and everyone had to dress up, no exceptions. He decorated his apartment outrageously with skeletons, spiders, and ghosts. He carved magnificent pumpkins which he had a real talent for and put candles inside them so they glowed scarily. He had the usual kegs of beer along with all kinds of munchies and it really was an amazing party. Everybody loved Jesse. He was full of fun and the kindest, most giving person I’d ever met. He’d missed class one day while I was at work because the elderly lady that lived near campus had a flat tire and he got down on the ground and changed it for her, ruining his white polo shirt. He was just like that and I loved him for it. I think the fact that Jesse loved Halloween so much makes it that much harder that it was indirectly what caused his death.

           The party was in full swing and everyone was pretty drunk, including me and Jesse. We had dressed as eggs and bacon and everyone made sizzling noises every time they got near us. The more we drank the more they sizzled and it made us laugh harder. It was around 11:00 when Jesse decided we needed more beer. I told him to let someone who hadn’t been drinking go to get it, but he insisted he was fine and would be ultra-careful. I had no idea that when he kissed me and said, “Love you Bacon,” that it would be the last time I saw him alive. When Jesse didn’t come back, I started to worry and when I heard sirens I worried more. Jesse had been on his way back from the liquor store when he missed a stop sign and got t-boned by a panel truck. He had died instantly and my soul died with him. 

           I barely remember the funeral. There were tons of people there and so many people patting my shoulder and hugging me, but I was numb. I stood between my parents and Jesse’s parents and felt my heart breaking with every word the pastor spoke. The casket was closed because of the accident so I couldn’t even look at the face that I had loved so much. 

 I took some time off of work and school, and went back to both after Christmas break. I was behind in my classes, but my professors were lenient and gave me time to catch up, as they knew about Jesse. It was all over campus and I couldn’t bear to be in the apartment without him. I’d moved back to the dorm and had gotten a single room so I could spend my time crying in private, without prying eyes. Knowing I would never see him smile again made it hard to go on. That’s why it was such a shock to see him standing next to my car.

           “J-Jesse?” I said tentatively. Was I hallucinating or having a stroke or a mental breakdown? My heart was thumping in my chest.

           “Yes, it’s me,” he said in his sweet voice I thought I’d never hear again. 

           “But how? You’re dead.” I closed my eyes and opened them again. He was still standing there, plain as day. A fear gripped me and I began to back away. “You’re dead. I saw your grave; I was at your funeral.” 

“I can explain. Just calm down,” he said putting his hands out in a gesture of peace. 

I ran to him and threw my arms around him. “It is, it’s really you,” I exclaimed while I breathed in the familiar scent. “I’ve missed you so much,” I said, with tears running down my cheeks. “But how can you be here? Where have you been?” I was so confused. If this was a dream, let me never wake up. “How can this be?”

           Jesse smiled, his teeth as white as ever and took my hand. “C’mon,” he said pulling me to my feet, reminding me of when we first met. He pulled me away from my car and down the walk. His hand felt warm in mine and I felt surreal. Had I fallen and hit my head? We continued to walk down the sidewalk.

           “What’s going on?” I asked Jesse. “Where are we going?” I was beginning to feel a little nervous. “Where have you been? Why would you let me think you were dead?” Now I was feeling a little irritated where just a minute ago I was deliriously happy.

           We turned the corner of the block and continued down the walk. I knew this was leading toward the Lake that our town was named for. We walked for a few minutes and I could smell lake water. We approached the beautiful clear lake. The sun was shining and the birds were chirping in the trees behind the lake. We sat down on a bench and Jesse turned to me. 

           “Please explain this to me. It makes no sense,” I said to Jesse. 

           “Don’t be upset,” Jesse said. “You will understand. I just want you to calm down and listen to me.”

           It’s hard to not be upset when someone tells you not to. I had a feeling I wasn’t going to like what he had to say and that was why he’d taken me away from the busy main street.

           “Are you ready to listen?” he asked me. 

           “I am,” I said not sure if I really was.

“First I want to show you something.”  Jesse was pointing at something behind me. “Just look,” he said as I turned around. My mouth opened in shock. My grandmother, who I’d been closer to than any of my relatives, was standing there. My grandmother, who had died years before when I was in high school. I was beginning to feel dizzy.

           “Gran?” I said, still not comprehending. She nodded her head yes and held out her hands to me. I ran into her arms and hugged her tightly. When I straightened up, I saw my dog, Casey, who had died when I was twelve, breaking my heart.

           “Case?” I exclaimed as she ran to me covering me with kisses. When I looked up, Jesse and Gran were smiling at me and I felt a complete peace steal over me. I then noticed that other people I had lost during my life were approaching me too.

           I felt Jesse take my hand again. “Honey, the pick up truck couldn’t stop in time. Do you understand now?”

           I did understand and I was filled with a joy I couldn’t describe if I tried. “Yes, I do,” I said hugging all my loved ones that I’d been missing over the years. This was the best day of my life.

July 28, 2020 16:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Brittany Gillen
21:09 Aug 01, 2020

Sheri - Thank you for sharing your story. The characters of Jesse and Lonnie are very clear and well described. You moved seamlessly between the flashback and the present scene. My only feedback is that it was a bit of an awkward twist that she was happy to be dead in the end. What about her parents and all the life she will miss? I expected her to be dead, but her reaction was surprising. It felt almost too easy and out-of-character. It might have worked a bit better if she was alone in the world. Not sure. It might just be me. Ke...

Reply

Sheri McComb
03:36 Aug 03, 2020

Thanks for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.