0 comments

Fantasy

Judy had just finished lunch, and her thoughts were far away. It was good to relax, and have time out, in fact, she was looking forward to a good book, soft music and an easy eats dinner. Suddenly, her phone erupted in that wailing sound indicating a message had been sent, or rather, upon examination, that two had been sent. They were both from her cousin, the cousin who invited drama, who never seemed to relax, who always found herself in hot water be in temperature or trouble, and always managed to want something. She read the messages and smiled.

“Can you ring please?” Ann. “Where are you? I need to speak to you.” Ann.

Then Judy’s phone rang. There was no prize for guessing who the caller was.

“Hi Ann, don’t tell me you have thumped your nose against the wall, it’s bleeding and…”

“Oh, Judy, trust you. Are you free tonight?”

“Why?”

“What do you mean, why?”

“Ann, whenever I plan a quiet day or evening you ring in a panic.”

“I’m not in a panic I’m asking a favour.”

“I stand corrected.” said Judy pointedly “What is it this time?”

“Ben and I were going to a foursome dinner…”

“No Ann.” Judy’s voice was a little shrill.

“You haven’t heard…” Ann tried another tactic “I know you hate blind dates, but you’d be doing us a favour…pleeaassee?”

“When?” Judy was trying to keep cool hearing the answer she expected “tonight! I like the warning I get… yes, yes, Joan pulled out, so you get me; Ann I’m warning you if this turns out to be another version of “Judy’s Turn To Cry…”

“You will love it. It’s at the Palace, pick you up at 7.00. Hoo Roo.”

There were times when Ben felt a little annoyed with Ann’s plans; it always involved Ben having to do something he did not like much; but like a good lad he did as bid, anything for a quiet life, just like his Dad before him.

Ben walked over to Toby’s house while whistling a silly ditty.

“Hi, Toby.”

“Hey Ben what’s up?” Toby was digging weeds, his face was grubby he had not shaved, but a breather would help him stretch his back. He stood up, groaned and turned to face Ben.

“Ann just called; tonight, is still on,” Ben answered.

“I thought her friend had pulled out.” Toby really could not be bothered; he had planned to fix the front garden for his Mum. Obviously, he’d have to stop earlier than first thought. Bummer!

Yeah, that’s right, so, Ann has asked her cousin to come; Judy’s a great girl.”

“It would not have mattered, honestly Ben.” Toby seeing Ben hesitate surmised the difficulty “it’s a posh place, she can’t cancel the reservations, right? dress up and all that, right? I don’t have a tuxedo…” Toby moved to return to the job. Ben did not miss the irony; he was embarrassed

“Neat casual only, mate. Pick you up at 7.00?”

Toby bit his tongue, nodded and went back to the digging. An hour later his Mum called him over for a salad and some garlic bread, which he loved.  After which, he was so engrossed Mum had to remind him at 5.30 to get cracking. He tidied up, shaved, dressed hurriedly to be ready on time.

Judy was glad she wore her sky-blue A-line dress. Ann wearing her favourite long-sleeved high collared red looked great but she was in love.  Judy felt like a fish out of water, she did not much like Ben, and small talk even less. What would she say to this Toby?

“Table for Ann Salter,” said Ann with a smile; the waiter escorted them to a cosy corner table.

The boys were already there, standing awkwardly as they approached.

“Hi Judy this is my neighbour and mate Toby Green; Toby this is Judy Salter.”

They shook hands and mumbled a greeting neither could hear. Sitting opposite him, Judy studied Toby. Hair as dark as a raven, eyes that in the restaurant light reminded her of chocolate, cleft chin, strong teeth impish smile, and … halitosis.

The foursome engaged in conversation ordered their meals and sat comfortably sipping their drinks. Eventually, the waiter brought their meals. There was a pervading smell of…Judy was glad the waiter had gone at least with the aromas of what was on their plates, it dispelled the whiff. The seafood marinara looked delicious, mind you so did Toby’s fillet steak, Ann’s gnocchi, Ben’s usual stand by roast in tonight’s case pork. Judy was daydreaming and suddenly felt a hand on her knee, the firmness suggested it was not Ann’s gentle touch. She responded quickly.

“I feel something on my right knee “she announced "I hope it’s not a roving bee,” and she whacked the hand and smiled benignly. Did she detect a little blush to Toby’s cheeks?

------------------------------------

“Here they come” Ben had said; Toby strove to look interested. He realised he was staring at the drop-dead gorgeous blonde, who reminded him of someone but he could not think whom. She sat opposite him. Then it hit him; like a brick. Toby noticed the dress, it reminded him of something he had seen Grace Kelly wear in the film High Society; come to that Judy had fair hair; parted in the centre. She had done her make up well, including red lipstick. An Australian version of Princess Grace? No, Judy was her own person. Toby knew that instinctively. Oh, how he would like to take Judy way from here and hoped to gain her attention. Whack! Oh? so the Grace Kelly look-alike left no room for doubt; pity, help her children if she were thus stirred to whack. What could he say, it was his hand that touched her, but by the look on her face something akin to a statue, his hopes were fading fast.  Toby was pensive wondering why he could taste garlic; then a thought struck him.

The meal was indeed delicious, in fact, they were tempted to order dessert and coffee.

“I’ll have some pavlova and a latte.” said Judy decisively.

“And I will have New York cheesecake and a latte.” said Ann “will you be ordering for us, fellas? or can you wait until we get back from…” she pointed in the direction of the powder room.

“We will wait with another drink, hon,” said Ben, realising there was something wrong.

Safely away from prying eyes, Ann watched Judy closely.

“Are you okay?” Ann was remembering the incident.

“Oh yeah, but there is a pervading smell of…”

“Garlic and whatever breath.” finished Ann “sorry Jude, if I had known it was that bad.”

“There could be a good reason for it.”

“And the hand?” Ann was mortified “I wonder if Ben knows what…”

“Oh, it does not matter, Ann truly.” said Judy “we’d better get back.”

Ann started to laugh Judy looked at her quizzically

“Listen to the music, the sound system is good.”

 Judy laughed hearing Lesley Gore’s “Judy’s Turn To Cry.”

“I won’t be crying here, Ann.” she said decisively “but should I get closer to Toby despite his good looks I might have a fist handy.”

“You are such a lady, Judy,” said Ann seriously “oh, that reminds me: did you want Gran’s recipe for fruit punch?”

August 27, 2020 03:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.