0 comments

Happy Adventure

As I sit in the sand on the shore of Inchydoney Beach looking out over the ocean and feeling the cool sand between my toes I can’t help but reflect on the entire trip.  Tomorrow I’ll be heading back to Dublin to catch a plane and go home - home to midwest, farm town America.  I know without a doubt I’ll be back here as this has been the most amazing eight days of my entire life.

………………………………………

The first day of exploration led me to a small town called Kilkenny where I toured an 800-year-old castle, walked the brick streets, perused beautiful handmade art from local artists at a farmer’s market, and devoured a traditional Irish breakfast of over-easy eggs, baked beans, cooked tomatoes, pork sausage and blood sausage.  The learning curve on what different things were called in Ireland led to some laughs that first day.  For example, I asked someone where I could find a restroom and received a puzzled look.  I then said, “bathroom?” and the gentleman said, “oh, you want the toilet, do ya?”.  

On my second day in Ireland, I did a tour of the Ring of Kerry.  This circular route is 179 km (just over 111 miles) and gives way to some of the most stunning scenery I’ve ever seen.  About twenty miles into the trip the driver was coming around a corner and to my right I looked out at the expanse of ocean while to my left all I saw was mountains.  To say it was breathtaking is such an understatement!  I’ve never been so taken at the beautiful creation of our world.  In that moment uncontrolled tears filled my eyes and I held my breath hoping that sight would never go away.  I found myself uttering the words, “I wish I could stay here forever”, over and over again.

As I wound my way along the Ring of Kerry there were such great experiences to treasure.  At a scenic overlook there was a man with his donkey and blind dog making traditional Irish stars out of a grass that legend has it brings blessings to all who enter a home where it’s hung.  I saw the overlook named “Ladies View” for the ladies-in-waiting to Queen Victoria in 1861 who admired it so much.  I took a look into the past and saw how they lived in the 18th Century at Bog Village.   I took in the view of the sky-blue water of the ocean while enjoying the antics of the wild sheep at a cliff side restaurant with traditional Irish stew and brown soda bread for lunch. I prayed in an old 19th century church adorned with stained glass.  I was so incredibly thankful for this gift I’d been given!

On day three as I walked the path that I knew eventually led to the Torc Waterfall (which I’d been aching to see since I started planning the Ireland vacation) I realized all the hustle and bustle of home, kids, and job had faded away within twenty-four hours of being in this idyllic place.  Everything I’d known my whole life was an ocean and many land miles away.  More than just being physically away though, I had been able to be mindfully present in every moment here.  All the stress and difficulty of everyday life was put into perspective.  I felt free and alive and authentically me for the first time since I was a child.  

I ran my hand along the leaves of the beautiful and oh-so-green trees.  I took slow, deep breaths and could smell the freshness in the air.  With my eyes closed I stood still for a moment and just listened.  I could hear the birds chirping in the branches above, the rustling of brush where small animals played nearby, the trickling of water from the stream down below, and the faint sound of laughter and rushing water where the other tourists looked at the majesty of the waterfall I had not yet seen.

I continued along the path and came to the spot where the bottom of the waterfall met the stream and wound down the mountain from there.  I looked up and saw the top of the cliff where the water started to flow down.  It was about seventy feet to the top and watching that water come down the rocky cliff was magical.  The power it displayed was exhilarating!

On days four and five I explored two more castles, wandered through botanical gardens, ate in old Irish pubs, and danced with strangers to Irish jigs.  The laughter and joy was palpable - the peace and belonging incredible!  The people were one of my favorite things about this trip.  I’d never met more humble, respectful, fun humans!

Day six was spent along the coast driving the Slea Head Drive from the town of Dingle.  I meandered my way along this very windy and very narrow road.  This twenty-four-mile loop can be done in an hour without stops, however, there is so much to see along the way.  There were stops at beaches, taking a moment of silence at the White Cross, exploring the Blasket Islands Museum, having lunch, taking a moment to admire the Ceann Sibeal viewing point (where some of Star Wars: The Force Awakens was filmed), seeing the centuries old bee huts, and pondering the local legends at the Gallerus Oratory that say if someone can make it through the single window that lights the structure that person would be guaranteed access to Heaven.  With these stops it took me five hours to complete.

Yesterday (day seven) was all about exploring the Cliffs of Moher.  Standing on the top of those cliffs looking down 700 feet to where the Atlantic Ocean crashed its waves upon the bottom, I knew this was exactly where I was supposed to be.  Everything I’d been through in my life seemed to float away as I felt the wind in my hair and the purest form of gratefulness washed over me again and again.  And I found myself whispering again into the wind, “I wish I could stay here forever!”

This morning I started my day by going to Blarney Castle, climbing to the peak, bending over backward on the ledge, and kissing the Blarney Stone.  Legend has it that kissing this stone gives one the power of eloquent speech and the gift of persuasion without causing offense to others.  Now, in the afternoon on day eight, as I sit on this beach in Cork listening to the waves lap against the shore and thinking over all I’ve seen and experienced, the overwhelming feeling is utmost gratefulness.  Not everyone gets to have this.  Not everyone gets to have what I have at home.  So, as much as I wish I could stay here forever I have to go home and that’s okay because this place will be with me in my heart and in my mind forever.  Who knows, maybe someday I’ll come back, buy a little home (probably in Killarney) and I actually will stay forever.

June 05, 2024 22:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.