7 comments

Adventure Speculative Mystery

Entry 1 - January 03, 2048


Today I wokeup feeling restless... I keep thinking about what my wife said before she died. How she saw many visions of different lands beyond the wall almost every night in her dreams. How they say, no one has ever been on the other side, and they are keeping us from knowing the reality of what lies there.


She became desperate to go on a trip after months of what started to seem like night terrors to me. Her waking up and freaking out, writing down everything she saw, telling me she needs to know before she dies, and talking about an 'imaginary' place she's never seen but acts like she did. What a joke! I loved her, but I got so tired of hearing the same crap for years. I guess the only thing serious about her was the cancer.


Dang it! I... nevermind. I need to calm down. It's just been a hard week. I miss her so much, but these thoughts have to stop, or I'll lose my mind as well.


Entry 2 - January 06, 2048


Holy Cray! My dream! I had that dream. AGAIN!! The one where I accidentally found this land full of beautiful vegetation and vibrant colors. Then I get turned around, and all of a sudden, the world seems to shift. I then see a land filled with vast, icy landscapes—endless white plains stretching to the horizon— and a mysterious wall that seems to defy reason. It beckons me to come to it, and I'm unable to fight it.


I climb the miles of high wall, hands don't feel cold as if the ice were a facade; no sound could be heard all around me; and the closer I get to the top, the more the sky glitches. All of a sudden, I got shot down by showdows. I fall to the ice floor below and wake up. My back hurts every time I have this dream. Why does this keep happening to me? It's getting harder to sleep.


Entry 3 - January 10, 2048


I once felt like I was an ordinary man, but this morning, it feels like something just shifted within me. I can't, I won't deny this anymore. This inexcapable surge of curiosity keeps whispering to me. All of a sudden, I get a ding on my phone. I was sent a map by an unknown number. It's Antarctica, and the ice wall that forms around the whole Earth—the frozen frontier that had always fascinated my wife... Is this supposed to be funny, or is God sending me a sign? I guess the decision has been made.


Entry 4 - January 20, 2048


Geez, the days passed quickly. I can't believe how obsessed I've become about this wall. The research, the videos, even the Reddit posts. My wife was heavily invested, and I see how she fell into this trap, but it's okay honey, I'll take this vacation for the both of us. I should have almost everything I need, but I'm going to make sure that I get the rest of my gear from Bill. He has climbed every mountain you can think of and survived the worst of the worst. I hope he can teach me a few things too.


Entry 5 - February 02, 2048


I'm sorry honey. I did my best to convince Bill to not only let me borrow his gear, but to also come with me and help me survive this. He said I'm an idiot and I need to forget about this trip. I flat out told him no because it's personal... He called me a nutcase and said, Fine, be stupid then. He threw the gear at me and told me to leave, but said if I somehow survived this, then come visit him again. I freaking hate him, but I also love him all the same. True friend? I don't know. Sigh... okay. I'm ready. Let's do this!


Entry 6 - February 10, 2048


Alright, I'm fueled by a glass of whiskey and ready to ride. My goal? To get to the ice wall as quickly or safely as possible, I can't have both. Bill decided to actually take me some what there. He has an untraceable plane, small but strong, and he wanted to help me by delivering me to a military friend of his with a boat. Bill said we would land at the edge of South America and rest for a day before meeting his buddy.


If we flew all the way to Antarctica, the plane would get spotted too easily. If it goes out too far, we may have a huge problem coming our way, and I can't allow Bill to get investigated because of my delusions. Of course I agreed, because I would like to spend my possible last days on earth, with my best friend. Let's go, Billy!


Entry 7 - February 11, 2048


The expedition is about to begin, so I will only write a little bit. We are packing and fueling up the plane. In a way, I'm happy, but I'm also afraid. I guess the most positive thing I can say is that if I die, then at least I tried.


Entry 8 - February 12, 2048


Goodness! I am finally at the edge of South America after a scary trip in the sky with Bill. Once we landed, he introduced me to Tom. I could definitely tell that this man was in the military, and he brought back a little more than some metals... he crazy okay, like craaaazy, but he's fun and has a big, comfy boat.


Tom helped Bill refuel his plane and gave him a care package. Don't ask me, because I don't know what was in it. After that, Bill gave me a long hug, and told me to please return, or he'd find me and kill me himself, even if I'm already dead. I teared up a little bit because I knew it was all love, and I got in the boat with Tom. Bill waved goodbye as we sailed down the waters, and I had mixed feelings form in my chest.


Entry 9 - February 13, 2048


As Tom and I sailed the Drake Passage in the Southern Ocean, I felt my sanity being tested. Tom talks a lot, which is irritating, but his voice still couldn't block out all the thoughts of what I would find, if I actually climbed to the top of that wall... Scientists have always raised their eyebrows at inquiries about the ice wall. "It's just a natural formation," they say. "Nothing to see there." Maybe they were wrong.


Entry 10 - February 14, 2048


We are here at the edge of North Antarctica, waiting... for what? Nothing; we just have to rest. I asked Tom if we'd need some snowmobiles, and he laughed. He said no; we are going to rest, as we restock our sustenance. The next day we sail... We are going to go around Antarctica towards the South East, not through it.


Bill said it will not only hurt our journey, but we could be stopped and turned away if we go through the continent. Taking a snowmobile to the edge of it is a dangerous waste of time, especially since the wall isn't attached to Antarctica. It's just closer to this continent than any other. I didn't know that, obviously... but I was concerned when he said dangerous. Even though I tried to ask him about it, he brushed me off, so I just decided to trust the only guy who decided to come with me, who knows a little too much.


Entry 11 - February 16, 2048


Tom decided to wake me up at the crack of 3 AM. The waters were unusually calm, and the air was very quiet. He said, let's get going. He started the boat and took off... as if he were in a rush. I went along with it, and we silently sailed towards the South East, slowly moving away from Antarctica. Let's see how long it takes to get to the wall.


Update: It's 6pm and Tom spotted a few military guards. If the fog wasn't so thick, maybe we would have been caught. How is Tom doing this so proficiently!? Who is he!?


Entry 12 - February 20, 2048


The icy, cold waters stretched far behind us as we finally reached the wall. We looked at it for a long time before I was told to go sit. Tom is the one setting up our gear as I sit and wait for his directions. I used to not believe he wanted to come with me until I found his journal. Apparently, Tom has always wanted to visit the ice wall, but never had a partner who felt the same. He gave up ever wanting it, until he got a call from Bill. I was the one who refueled Tom's passion, and that makes me want this even more. My wife would be so proud.


Entry 13 - February 23, 2048


We are at the top... The air grew thinner as we climbed, so I'm tired. We are taking a break. That climb was hell. This wall is very high— 4 plus miles high. We had to take breaks in between climbs. We made it, though. But even being at the top, I can't see much. The fog is heavy here, so we'll wait, but I can still see the sun above. The sun... why does it look so close, and who the hell is running along the wall toward us?


Entry 14 - February 28, 2048


Tom... he didn't make it! The person who was running towards us was one of the guards who protected the wall. They were informed that a boat was found below, and they knew someone was trying to climb the wall. They sent people after us. Tom protected me. He forced me to put my gear back on as he slammed, and he hammered the metal hook of the rope line into the ice, to make sure it was completely secured. Then, as he pushed me off the top of the wall, he said, 'Survive and live true'. After that, all I heard was three shots, someone yell, 'get him too', and little drops of blood splattered and dripped down the wall. Tom was dead and I free-fell, attempting to gain my footing, which I obviously and eventually did.


Right now, I am writing inside a hospital room on the other side of the wall... There are people here. There always was!


Entry 15 - February 29, 2048


I got treated in the hospital, but it wasn't a normal hospital that we're used to on the other side of the wall. The hospital was 1000 times more advanced in medicine and AI than I've ever seen or thought of before. It was magical or just insane.


They healed wounds almost instantly; they spoke every single language known to man; they were old but looked very young; they each understood true kindness and humanity; and they were all human! Or what we regular people would call Divine or Supreme Beings. What a lucky day this truly was.


Entry 16 - March 12, 2048


Today, I was given a choice: Stay or go. I wanted so badly to stay, but I wanted Bill to know everything. Plus, I missed everyone— my family, my home, my life.


The beings spoke of portals. I've heard many things about these black holes in the sky and the ocean, but my skeptical brain never wanted to believe it. They told me that they purposely opened portals at unusual times and places to come to our lands within the wall. Sometimes their portals would create international chaos. I guess that made sense as to why there were so many weird things going on in the world, that we all thought we knew so well.


I did ask if I could stay just a little longer and learn more. Of course they denied me, because if I chose to leave now, then I would actually leave now. But if I chose to stay, even for another day, I would slowly never want to leave again. Apparently it happened to many, many people who fell into the portals and landed here as well as on the other 11 planets. Yes, they are called planets, not continents, and they are all on what we call Earth... A story for another day, of course. But the planet I happened to be on currently was called Neutrãl Cadence. The land of balance. All beings were welcome, and no war ever occurred. Maybe this is what the guards were protecting.


Update:


A few of the younger beings did give me some motion pictures (freaking amazing!) and told me about those, so I'll write about them for the next 2 entries, so I don't forget, because they gave me a lot of information, especially about the planets themselves.


Briefly—


*Picture one is of a giant monster with celestial wings that comes from Saturn to eat Solar Ring Melons atop the highest trees. Saturn is the planet to the East, only 6 thousand miles from my current location. That's the distance from Japan to America... Wow, only one planet is that far away? How big is this world, truly? The funny thing is, 6 thousand miles would only take minutes to seconds to travel here, depending on how you decide to journey.


*Picture two is of what we'd call The Apple of Eden. It's not an actual apple. It's a hidden scripture text that apparently gives you all knowledge, after you read it aloud. I can't read it, but maybe someone back home can. This "Apple" comes from planet Gen X. Weird right? I thought it would have been called Genesis or Garden of Eden. That planet is closer to planet Neutrãl; 2 thousand miles or so, and apparently, it's the most beautiful of them all.


I also begged for information on the rest of the planets, but a shorter version. I will also write in detail about those too. It's freaking crazy what these people told me! The truth about angels, demons, giants, food, a star called Lucifer that became a black hole called Satan, and a planet called Valarian HD that was destroyed in 800 BC, because it was attempting to collide with earth, On Purpose! They told me so much as they walked me to the portal, that would take me home. If this all gets out, the world will never be the same... Hell, I'm not, and that scares me.


Sigh, this was amazing though, but let me get ready to go through the portal, because I actually am feeling the desire to stay... maybe visit the other planets. No! I will go home. I'll update once I get back.


Entry 19 - March 30, 2048


I'm back home, but I'm struggling to remember a few things. I don't know how I got back here, and I'm missing a couple journal entries. I just woke up... today, and they were gone and so was time. What's going on? I did inform Bill about the things I could read here, but what exactly were entries 17 and 18? Were they that important— Did I accidently throw them away or something? Either way, I guess it doesn't matter because they're already gone. The two pictures are gone as well, along with my memories. I don't know if that place was a dream or something more. Of course, the only person who truly believed me, especially since he couldn't reach Tom anymore, was Bill.


Entry 20 - Date Unknown


YOU $@> ARE %"!< BEING #÷= WATCHED!!


Entry 21 - April 03, 2048


What the hell!! Wait... I think I saw someone standing outside of my window last night. A man almost resembling an agent, but more dark and sinister. Uh, I sound like a paranoid idiot!


I just wish I could remember everything about the wall, but all I have are these writings. It blows my mind that a couple entries are missing, and now this entry 20 crap, but I was still able to keep the other ones speaking about what was on the other side. There's nothing I can really do with this information, because I can't even confidently speak about what I truly saw. Even though I will always hold this journal close to my heart, I feel something is coming for me... steadily.

April 26, 2024 19:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Lee Kendrick
12:53 May 08, 2024

Coincidently my story involves Antarctica too but in the early 1960s. Lots of suspense in your story. I liked the idea of a massive ice wall and that there are 11 planets thousands of miles away, and not millions of miles away as the solar system in reality is. Lots of good ideas. Well done!

Reply

Noted Moments
14:49 May 09, 2024

Thank you. I will have to check out your story too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Legare
12:05 May 03, 2024

Hi there! I've been tasked with giving you a critique for this story :) Very cool concept, the mystery of the ice wall is intriguing and fun to explore along with the diary entries. I'm wondering if there are some Game of Throne references in here? Giant ice wall...Valarian HD...just wondering ;) If I may offer one piece of advice: less is more! When editing, are there any sentences that don't lend to your story in a meaningful way? For instance, I don't think Entry 10 helps the story move along in any way. Omitting it could help with th...

Reply

Noted Moments
19:22 May 03, 2024

I will definitely keep this in mind. I really appreciate your feedback. I'll make sure not to be too suspenseful next time

Reply

Daniel Legare
22:29 May 03, 2024

I didn't mean you can't be suspenseful, not at all! Suspense is good! But suspense is lost when you are telling what is happening rather than showing it. Looking forward to reading more!

Reply

Noted Moments
23:08 May 03, 2024

Ok sounds good... and the game of thrones thing. Ive never seen the show but thats funny 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Noted Moments
19:51 Apr 26, 2024

This story randomly came to my mind 1 day, because I was thinking about traveling, so I really hope you guys enjoy it! Follow & like as well. Lets me know my stories are loved 🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.