41 comments

Funny Fantasy Contemporary

The mayonnaise has not been made.


As the onion contemplates how long it will be until someone notices that the mayonnaise has not been made, it sees Chef Doyle trying not to cry.


Chef Doyle does not cry at work. In general, Chef Doyle does not cry at all, but the onion has no way of knowing that. We only know what the onion knows, and the onion knows that, for the most part, crying at work is frowned upon. The onion also knows that crying in a busy kitchen on a Saturday night is not helpful when the tickets are already piling up and the weeds are so high you feel like you’re in a Floridian swamp.


The onion has never been to Florida. It’s from Eastern Oregon. The restaurant is in Portland. The onion has no opinion of Florida, or Portland, or Chef Doyle crying. The onion has considered having opinions about crying people, but opinions seem dense and fibrous. An onion doesn’t have much room for anything but itself. It has memories and a few feelings, but the feelings are mainly about being an onion.


And concern.


Why hasn’t the mayonnaise been made yet?


The onion notices Chef Doyle avoiding making eye contact with Chef Marza. The two chefs seem to be maneuvering around each other in a way that almost resembles a dance. The onion saw two of the busboys dancing in the kitchen earlier while singing a song called “El Hombre Grande” before they were chased out by the chef with the mustache who the onion thinks of as Chef Mustache, because nobody ever uses his name. They just call him “Chef.”


Chef Marza wipes her brow, and a bead of sweat falls down onto the steel prep table. A head of lettuce is grabbed with a bit too much aggression, and she proceeds to chop it with a fervor the onion has not seen from the chef until this moment. Chef Doyle coughs, but the cough obviously (obviously to the onion) was meant to conceal a burst of emotion. The onion wanted Chef Doyle to cry and get it over with, but Chef Doyle excused himself from the kitchen instead. Chef Marza seems to note his exit, but it doesn’t deter her from the task at hand. The lettuce is dismembered. The onion feels sympathy for the lettuce. Someday that will be the onion. Not today, of course, because somebody has mistakenly placed the onion behind a rather tall container of salt, and it is almost totally hidden.


The onion knows the salt won’t spare the onion from its fate forever, but based on how often the kitchen is thoroughly cleaned, it’ll be a few weeks before they find it. When they do, it’s unlikely they will use it for food. It’ll go in the trash next to scraps and peels and an empty container of heavy cream. The onion isn’t sure whether or not it’s happy to be cast aside instead of consumed. An onion that’s eaten becomes something other than an onion. An onion made garbage is still, for the most part, an onion. It’ll wind up in a landfill or a dump somewhere, and it might be allowed to exist that way until it decomposes or sprouts. Most likely, it will sprout and the onion likes that idea. It likes it very much.


Of course that all depends on whether or not somebody moves the salt. There is so much salt in this kitchen. The chef in charge of inventory is not very good at his job. That means many things get ordered even when they’re not needed, and some things never get ordered at all. Good luck finding any parsnips in this kitchen.


Or mayonnaise for that matter.


At least, mayonnaise can be made. You can’t make a parsnip. Not unless you’re God. The onion wondered if it was God. Could God be an onion? The onion tried not to get too lofty. If you don’t have room for opinions about crying, you can’t have religion. You can’t have philosophy. You can’t have resentment either, which is nice. That means if you end up getting chopped, you don’t hold any ill will against the person chopping you. If Chef Marza moves the salt, sees the onion, and promptly dices it, the onion will not carry any bad feelings as it’s being decimated. The role of chefs is to turn the food into the cuisine. The role of the food is to try and make peace with itself as the knife comes down. Marie Antoinette may have had to find that same kind of peace, but the onion knows nothing of Marie Antoinette or the French Revolution, although it did overhear one of the chefs saying something about the American Civil War, because there had been a question about it at something called “trivia” the previous night. Apparently, the chef had done rather well at “trivia” and had won something called a “coaster.”


Chef Doyle comes back into the kitchen. There is some red under his eyes, but he seems to be composed. He walks over to Chef Marza and whispers something into her ear. She shakes her head and begins to peel a potato. Chef Doyle whispers again, perhaps repeating what he said the first time, and this causes Chef Marza to stop peeling the potato. She stares at him. She says nothing. Her lip is quivering. Might she cry? So much crying in this kitchen. The tickets are piling up. The busboys are coming in, but they’re not singing. They’re sweating. The chef who chased them out earlier is asking where the salmon is. Where is the salmon? There should be a salmon. The onion knows there has not been a salmon tonight. A salmon will have to be made. And mayonnaise. And who knows what else.


The onion sees Chef Marza say something with lips quivering, with eyes blinking and blinking hard, with a shaky hand. She says something, and Chef Doyle puts up his hands in a way that either says “I surrender” or “I’m so, so sorry.” The chef looking for the salmon is asking why the steak is cold. He’s standing over a plate of steak and he’s putting his finger on the steak and he’s determining that it’s cold. He’s screaming about it. He’s screaming “Cold! Cold!” and he takes the dish, and throws it directly into the trash. Chef Marza goes back to the potato. She is not affected by the screaming chef. Chef Doyle goes looking for salmon. Nobody does anything about the mayonnaise.


The onion settles into its spot behind the salt. It will be busy for another few hours, and then the tickets will stop spitting out of the small, gray machine that distributes them. The rags will come out. Light cleaning will be done, but no one will move the salt. Plans will be made to go to bars that stay open later than restaurants. Chef Doyle and Chef Marza will leave separately. The screaming chef will make himself a drink at the bar in the restaurant, and if anybody sees him, he’ll give them a look that dares them to say anything about it. The lights will be turned off. The night will be over. The restaurant is closed the next day and the day after that. The onion will not see any of them again until Tuesday.


What will the onion do until Tuesday?


The onion doesn’t know. There's uncertainty. There’s darkness. There’s the smell of cleaning solution and the persistence of garlic and oil.


All that would be enough to make anybody cry, but the onion doesn’t cry. 


It won’t. 

It can’t.


Crying is one thing the onion can’t do.

July 17, 2023 02:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

41 comments

Molly Layne
12:51 Jul 24, 2023

Wow this was such a creative story. You have a wonderful imagination and I love how you kept mentioning the mayonnaise. Great job!

Reply

Story Time
17:04 Jul 24, 2023

Thank you so much, Molly.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
16:58 Nov 05, 2023

Fascinating reading a story from an onion’s point of view. There’s a high chance vegetables feel and respond on some level which leaves humans in a bit of a pickle when it comes to eating. I loved the way the onion observed the human interactions going on. Your story made me hope the onion got chucked in the rubbish and got a chance to sprout. Very enjoyable.

Reply

Story Time
01:00 Nov 06, 2023

Thank you so much, Helen.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:52 Jul 27, 2023

Just such a delightful little stroll in a whimsical world.

Reply

Story Time
19:09 Jul 27, 2023

Thank you so much, Anne.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
16:58 Jul 27, 2023

Hi Kevin, I am completely in love with this story. If you've seen the movie Elf with Will Ferrell, there is a scene where a writer for children's books says, while exploring ideas with others, "No, I never write about vegetables. They're too vulnerable." Well, now I finally know what he meant. *sigh* Would you mind writing an epilogue and having someone move the &*%^$#@ salt? I'd appreciate it.

Reply

Story Time
17:05 Jul 27, 2023

Aw thank you Susan. I've seen Elf, but I totally forgot about that part. I do love onions though. Not sure I'll ever be able to eat one again.

Reply

Susan Catucci
17:21 Jul 27, 2023

Well, maybe if you stopped humanizing them in such a lovingly empathetic way - good lord, no wonder everyone's crying in your story! (hahaha, sorry, had to.) Love your work, Kevin, seriously.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Gloria Dawn
11:26 Jul 27, 2023

Fabulous! Five Stars! I love this story. Who would have thought of seeing the kitchen through the eyes of an onion!

Reply

Story Time
16:21 Jul 27, 2023

Thank you so much, Gloria.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathleen Fine
10:56 Jul 27, 2023

So original and creative! Love it

Reply

Story Time
16:21 Jul 27, 2023

Thank you so much, Kathleen.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charles Corkery
21:55 Jul 26, 2023

Loved this! Such a great take. Well done.

Reply

Story Time
22:19 Jul 26, 2023

Thank you so much, Charles.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Miller
19:10 Jul 25, 2023

Good story, Kevin. The protagonist can be an onion if the writer is Broccoli.

Reply

Story Time
20:20 Jul 25, 2023

That's a great point.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Ann Ford
19:08 Jul 24, 2023

Great Job! I felt sorry for the onion in the end though. :)

Reply

Story Time
00:04 Jul 25, 2023

Thank you so much, Mary Ann!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joan Wright
17:40 Jul 24, 2023

I love your perspective, that of an onion. You remained in character throughout. Your descriptive language made me connect with the onion. Really good job.

Reply

Story Time
18:03 Jul 24, 2023

Thank you so much, Joan.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michael Martin
16:53 Jul 24, 2023

I enjoyed reading this, even if I'm not sure what exactly happens in the end lol. The recurrence of the missing mayo adds levity, and the onion's ignorance is entertaining. As one of the other commenters mentioned, the passive/active swaps (as well as some perspective shifts) were a bit off-putting, but overall, I enjoyed reading through this. It never felt like it got bogged down, which is an issue for someone like me with severe ADHD.

Reply

Story Time
17:04 Jul 24, 2023

Thank you so much, Michael.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Theo Benson
14:59 Jul 24, 2023

Just wanted to leave a comment and say I was oddly fascinated by your story! I’ve never read something from the POV of an onion before. The mayonnaise bits were funny, as were the other meandering thoughts of a half-hidden onion. Well done!

Reply

Story Time
17:04 Jul 24, 2023

Thank you very much, Theo.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
10:39 Jul 22, 2023

This was such a fun tale, and the scenes in the kitchen are genuine. The absence of mayonnaise still bothers me, but I appreciate the symbolism behind the versatile condiment. It holds sandwiches together while providing taste and creaminess, it's used in sauces, and it's a necessary ingredient in remoulades. The kitchen isn't a bonded group - not at all. No mayonnaise. I loved the onion. It reminds me of stories where aliens come to earth and try to make sense of it. No real context for what they see, but they do their best to interpret it...

Reply

Story Time
04:30 Jul 24, 2023

Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:55 Jul 20, 2023

Hi Kevin, Weirdly entertaining this one - I kinda relate to the onion in a way, which is also kinda weirdly entertaining. I have a few line notes if you want them: The onion also knows that crying in a busy kitchen on a Saturday night when the tickets are already piling up and the weeds are so high you feel like you’re in a Floridian swamp. - This line doesn't quite make sense. A head of lettuce is grabbed with a bit too much aggression by her, and she proceeds to chop it with a fervor the onion has not seen from her until this momen...

Reply

Story Time
19:22 Jul 20, 2023

Thank you so much, excellent notes as always.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
06:52 Jul 17, 2023

Kevin, this is funny. I enjoyed the story. You succeeded in making this one funny. Thanks for the good read. LF6

Reply

Story Time
04:30 Jul 24, 2023

Thank you so much, Lily.

Reply

Lily Finch
07:23 Jul 24, 2023

Anytime. LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
14:36 Sep 09, 2023

Hi Kevin! What an interesting perspective to take on this one. Especially, since onions are infamous for the tears we shed over them. As I read the piece, I pictured a kitchen so vividly. The way you described them interacting as if in a dance felt so powerful and tragic. My favorite lines were: you can’t make a parsnip. Not unless you’re God. It gave us a moment of profound reflection in the POV of an onion. Nice work!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
20:17 Jul 27, 2023

<removed by user>

Reply

Story Time
22:58 Jul 27, 2023

Thank you, Joe. I had fun writing it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarah Saleem
17:45 Jul 27, 2023

Great story! I like how you have given the onion's pov, what it thinks of the chefs and the busy kitchen around it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
11:38 Jul 24, 2023

I love this story. Quite unique, and yes, Mr.Onion has made my day. Well done!

Reply

Story Time
17:04 Jul 24, 2023

Thank you, Santina.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
12:21 Jul 17, 2023

Opinions of onion. Such is life behind the swinging doors. So sad about the mayo. Will it be missed?

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.