0 comments

Christian Contemporary Romance

Grant the Grammar Guy


I DON’T KNOW if you can call a man a wallflower, but there he stood against the wall. No one approached him or even waved in his direction. His suit fit a little big, and his hair looked unkempt. His beard went under his chin and down his neck. She hated that and grimaced.

“What’s wrong with your drink, Lily?”

      “Nothing Louise, why?” Lily asked her sister.

      “Well, you just took a drink and wrinkled your nose.”

      “Oh, it’s fine. I was just looking at that man over there,” she said, lifting her chin in his direction. “What’s his story?”

      “Don’t know,” Louise said. “He’s not very social, is he?”

      “He looks like he just lost his dog,” Lily said, feeling sorry for the guy.

       “Maybe he did. Why don’t you ask Jon?”

      “Not interested.”

           “You sure? He might clean up well.”

           “Lou, stop with the matchmaking.”

       “Suit yourself. Need another soda?”

      “No, thanks.”

       Louise walked off, and Lily wrinkled her nose again at the man’s beard. He seemed to sense being watched and looked around the room, catching Lily’s eyes. Startled by his piercing blue eyes, she stared. He slowly shifted his weight from the wall without breaking eye contact.

       Oh, no. He’s going to come over here, she thought, turning to find Jon. Spying him, she glanced back to the man, who once again leaned against the wall, his head down, like a wilting cone flower. Lily approached Jon.

       “Hey, Stranger!” Jon said. “Haven’t seen you in a month of Sundays. Glad you could make it,” he said, hugging his sister. “What’s been going on?”

      “I’ve been busy at work and trying to write the perfect novel.”

      “How’s that going?”

      “Good. Just in the muddle of the middle. Got 20,000 more words to write, but it’s coming along.”

       “I’m sure it’s gonna be great! Need a second pair of eyes on it for grammar? I know you did about as well in grammar as I did,” he said, laughing.

“I’m certainly not gonna have you fix my grammar,” Lily countered. “But I know you love a good thriller. Want to be an alpha reader?”

       “I would love it. You’ve been so hush-hush about it all.”

       “I’ll email three chapters; you decide. Who were you thinking about for the grammar? Grandpa Sean doesn’t like thrillers, or I would ask him.”

“I have a friend who would be a great proofreader. He’s a brilliant guy. Come on, I’ll introduce you.”

“Jon, I don’t have a lot of money to pay someone.”

“I’ll let you two discuss that.”

“What have I got to lose?”

“That’s the spirit. Come on.”

Wouldn’t you know it? He led her straight to the wallflower. Great.

“Hey, Grant,” he said to the unkempt guy. “This is my sister, Lily. You two have something in common, so I thought to introduce you.”

Grant stuck out his hand to greet her, but instead of shaking her hand, he kissed it. 

       “A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Lily,” he greeted her warmly, his piercing blues locked on hers.

Lily looked at Jon and back to Grant. “A true gentleman. Pleased to meet you as well.”

“Oh, forgive me, I just finished writing, and I’m still in the 16th century,” he said.

“You’re a writer. Lovely, so am I.”

He stood taller. “It’s nice to meet others in my field. I immerse myself in my characters and sometimes don’t come up for months. Just sent my manuscript to the publisher this morning.”

“A published author. Nice. I’m a wannabe,” Lily sighed. “Been working on mine for years. I asked Jon,” she turned to her brother, but he had abandoned her to the wallflower, “um, to be an alpha reader. He’s great with plot, but I need an inexpensive but excellent grammar person.”

“Well, I fit that bill. Maybe I could be your grammar guy,” he smiled.

       “Do you like thrillers?”

“I like most genres.”

“Me too. Jon laughs at me. I have so many books, there’s no room for anything else,” Lily laughed.

“Bet I got you beat.”

“Game on.”

“Jon’s coming over after the party. Care to come by with him and count?”

“He’s supposed to drive me home. If you want to see my mountain of books, tag along.”

“It’s a date.”

“Umm…” Lily said, looking embarrassed.

       “Just a figure of speech.”

“Yeah, okay.” Awkward, she thought, looking around.

“It’s all good. I gotta run home and tidy up. Will you come with Jon?”

“Sure,” Lily said.

They shook hands this time, and he left.

       “What did you do?” her brother said, sounding miffed.

“Nothing,” Lily said, turning toward the sound of Jon’s voice. “Grant said he had to go tidy up his place before we drop by.”

“You’re going to his house?” he asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

“With you. Not on my own,” she said, rolling her eyes.

       “Come on, Lily, he’s a nice guy.”

“Not interested,” Lily said, staring him down.

“Okay. Party’s over soon, and we can head over.”

“Sounds good.”

With the guests gone, Lily and Jon left for Grant’s.

“We’re not driving?” Lily asked.

       “He lives two doors down.”

“Sweet. I can’t wait to get out of these heels.”

“Here we are, Lily. He’s not a neat freak like you, so go easy on him.”

       “He’s a guy. Your room was always a wreck, Jon.”

“True enough. I had to pay Louise to clean my place yesterday,” he chuckled.

Jon knocked, and Grant yelled for them to enter. They walked in, and Lily stopped short. Wreck? No, this room spelled disaster. Oh, my goodness. With no place to sit, Lily grimaced. Knowing her plight, Jon grabbed a stack of books off of a chair and motioned for her to sit.

       “I’ll be right out, Jon. Grab a drink for you and Lily.”

      “We’re fine,” Lily said as she surveyed the scene, wide-eyed. 

In the middle of the room, a desk squatted under a mountain of papers and books. A laptop sat askew atop a stack of books, and the R2-D2 trash can sat overwhelmed with its contents and with those around its base. Books were stacked and scattered all over the room. Books were used as side tables, but all the chairs were, of course, loaded with books. There wasn’t a bookshelf anywhere.

Grant came around the corner of the hall in jeans and a Star Wars T-shirt. 

“Sorry, had to get out of that old suit. After losing fifty pounds, the thing resembles a clown suit.”

Jon laughed. “You do look healthier. Glad you took the plunge.”

       “Had to, man. The doctor said to either cut out the sugar or welcome insulin as my new best friend. Can’t replace you, Jon, so sugar is out,” he said grinning. “Sorry about the state of the house. When I’m writing, I don’t pay attention to anything else. I’m thinking about hiring a maid.”

       “Good idea,” Lily said, clasping her hand over her mouth, her wide-eyes pleading for forgiveness.

      “Don’t worry about it, Lily. I know how it looks.”

      “Still, I have no right.”

      “Not a problem. Well, these are my books. There are more in the bedroom, the guestroom, and the kitchen. I even have a few in the bathroom,” Grant said with a chuckle.

      “You need shelving. Have you considered Facebook Marketplace? I find a lot of good deals there,” Lily mentioned.

       “I’m not on Facebook,” he said with a wry grin. “I would waste too much time scrolling. I fear it would become my next sugar.”

      “It can be addicting. Want me to watch for bookshelves? I can send you the links.”

      “That would be great. Thanks.”

      “Would you mind if Jon took me home? You could come along and see my books.”

      “Fine by me,” Grant said.

      “Me, too. At least there, I can sit down,” Jon said, poking fun at his friend.

       They headed out across town to Lily’s apartment. Walking in the door, Grant stopped short this time. Wow! She had a great place. Small but well-appointed, with the antique desk and dining table. Shelves lined the entire room, and even used as a separator, between the living area and the kitchen. Her desk sat at an angle facing the room. Four chairs circled a glass coffee table that sat atop four stacks of old Readers Digest books. Clever. A few more graced the top of the table with a tall, ornate cross sitting on them.

      “Impressive,” Grant said, eyeing the bookshelves.

       “Feel free to count. I gotta get out of these heels.” Lily disappeared down the hall and reappeared, barefoot.

       “Would you like a tour? I have more books.”

      “You might be the winner, Lily.”

      “I don’t know. You need organization, and then we’ll see. I love to organize books if you want help. I shelve by genre, then by author.”

      “Sure. I need all the help I can get.”

      “Well, what if I help you clean and get your books where they belong in exchange for help on my manuscript.”

      “Girl, if you do that for me, I will not only proofread your book, but I’ll introduce you to my agent.”

      “You’d do that?”

      “If your book enthralls me, yes.”

      “Another challenge, I accept.”

      “Awesome.”

      “Care to start tomorrow? I’m free for the weekend except for Sunday morning.”

      “What time do you want to come over?”

      “Is nine too early?”

      “Nine’s great.”

      “I feel left out,” Jon said. “You two come over for breakfast. Louise is gonna be there, and maybe she will agree to help. I can lend a hand until one. I have an appointment at two.”

      “Nice. Thanks. Don’t have to ask me twice for a home-cooked meal,” Grant said smiling.

       “Me, too, Jon. Thanks. We have our work cut out for us.”

       “Hey!” Grant said, making them all laugh.

      The next morning, Grant showed up in the same jeans and t-shirt. Guys, Lily thought, rolling her eyes. Louise agreed to help out after breakfast. Lily enjoyed two cups of coffee, teasing Grant that she would need the energy.

       Hours later, each with their own task, Grant’s placed looked much improved. Grant scrubbed the bathroom, Louise tackled the kitchen, Jon took on Grant’s bedroom, and Lily worked on the living room, although she didn’t touch Grant’s desk. Some things tend to be sacred. 

      After takeout for lunch, Jon excused himself for his appointment. Lily and Louise stayed on until five. Grant expressed his thanks and invited both girls to dinner. They accepted and planned to meet at the local Mexican restaurant near Lily’s place. Grant made reservations while the girls grabbed their purses and jackets. 

       “We are set for seven. I’ll call Jon,” Grant said. “I’m grateful for your help.”

      “You’re welcome, Grant,” Lily said. “I hope Jon can make it.”

      “Nice to get to know you, Grant,” Louise chimed in.

       “I can’t believe you agreed to help someone you don’t even know, Louise. You are truly kind. You, too, Lily. I’d hug you both, but I, for one, need a shower.”

       “We all do,” Louise said, laughing. “And, you’re welcome. I like to think we made a difference.”

      “You all made more than a difference. I hope I have gained new friends.”

      “Just keep your place up, and we’ll see,” Lily said. Grant looked surprised. “Sorry,” Lily said, raising a hand, “Sarcasm gene inherited from Grandpa Sean.”

      Grant sighed. “Good to know. I was worried for a sec.”

       “Hey, for a guy who promised me the moon, you had to know I was joking.” Lily countered.

      “We better go. We all need grooming before dinner,” Louise said. 

      The girls left for their respective homes, then the four of them met for dinner.

       “Thanks for the invite. I love this place,” Jon said. “Can’t wait for the chips and salsa. Their salsa is out of this world.”

      “Yeah, I love it, too. Just the right kick,” Grant said.

      “Right? Let’s order. I’m starved,” Lily said.

       “Me, too,” three others chimed in at the same time.

      “Pinch, poke, you owe me a Coke!” Louise said to the boys.

      “You can have all the Coke you want. I gotta watch my sugar.”

      “Oh, then let’s all have water or tea. We wouldn’t want you to be tempted,” Lily said, encouraging the others.

      “I agree,” Louise said, “I need to stop drinking sodas anyway.”

      “Suits me fine,” Jon said.

      “Thanks, everybody. I still crave sugar,” Grant said, wryly.

      An awkward moment passed, and Louise spoke up. “Grant, you shaved your neck. The beard looks better.”

      “I agree,” Lily said.

      “You shaved?” Jon asked, and they all laughed.

       The four enjoyed a lovely repast together, then all went their separate ways.

In the morning, Lily sat in the church, stunned to see Grant come in with Jon.

      “Nice to see you here, Grant,” Lily said.

      “Well, thanks for inviting me,” he said, sitting next to her.

      “I hope you like the old hymns and good old-fashioned preaching.”

      “Hell, fire, and damnation?”

      “Softened with a lot of love,” Lily smiled.

      “Nice. Grew up on it. Haven’t been in a long time, but I love the old hymns.”

      “The preacher is a great pastor—loves God and loves people.”

      “That’s how it should be.”

      Church began with Count Your Blessings, followed by two other hymns, all of which Grant knew. He harmonized with Lily.

      “You have a rich, pleasant voice, Grant,” Lily whispered.

      “Not so bad yourself, Lily,” he countered.

The pastor stepped up, so Lily grabbed her Bible, sharing it with Grant.

      After church, they headed to Jon’s place. The girls changed their clothes, and went to Grant’s to finish cleaning.

      “Grant, I found these on Marketplace—bookshelves from that small bookstore that went out of business,” Lily said, showing him the shelves.

      “I know the family. They’re moving out of state.” 

      “Maybe you could call them today, and we can help you set them up,” Jon said.

      “Sure. I could use the help.”

      Grant made the call, and the family agreed to bring the shelves. Everyone helped to clear the walls.

      “How many shelves do you want, Grant?” his friend asked, as they brought in the first one. “We have plenty.”

      “Keep ’em coming until I say stop. Sure appreciate it,” Grant replied.

      “We have boxes of books left over; want them, too?”

      “Never could pass up books.”

      “You should have room for them, with all the shelving.”

       Between trips, Louise and Lily frantically put books on the shelves.

       “I’ll get them organized later. Let’s just get them off the floor,” Lily said.

      “Grant’s a nice guy,” Louise remarked.

      “He’s gonna be a good friend, I think,” Lily said, keeping the matchmaking part of Louise’s personality still in the friend’s zone.

      After a long afternoon, shelves lined the living room walls and two more walls in the bedrooms. Most of the shelves were full of books, and ten boxes of books sat on the guest room floor.

      “Happy to share,” Grant said. “Please feel free to peruse the books given today. We put them all in the guestroom. Take what you like.” 

They all relaxed in the now empty chairs as Grant ordered Chinese food through Door-dash. After dinner, Lily promised to send her unfinished manuscript to Grant, and the siblings left.

Grant called Lily the next day. “I couldn’t sleep a wink last night,” he said. “I finally crashed out this afternoon. Lily, your book is incredible! I couldn’t put it down. I called my agent first thing this morning.”

“What?! Oh, my goodness.” Lily squealed in delight.

“Can you come over? I’ll give you some tips and coach you on what to say when you meet with him.”

“Yes! What time?”

“Six? I’ll order in.”

“Thanks so much, Grant. See you then.”

Grant opened the door with a clean-shaven face and haircut.

“Wow! You clean up well,” Lily said, smiling.

“Thanks. I figured if the house got spruced up, maybe I should, too, especially if I’m going to see my agent this week. You have two options, by the way—Wednesday or Friday evening, seven o’clock.”

“That soon? Friday, please.”

“Okay. Don’t let it worry your pretty head. I’m free to coach you all week.”

“I’ll need it. Thanks, Grant,” she said, hugging his neck.

They shared an awkward moment, then sat down to start the coaching. A few points about Lily’s book—easy fixes, they talked about until the food arrived.

“Do you always order out?”

“I don’t know how to cook. Takeout’s expensive, but not much clean-up.”

“Why don’t you come to my place for the next few evenings and I’ll cook? It’ll save you a ton, and I like to cook.”

“Okay, thanks.”

The week went by in a blur. Wednesday, after she and Grant worked on her synopsis and cover letter, Lily sent the agent her first three chapters. Friday night came fast. Grant’s agent met them at Grant’s place, and that evening he signed her as a client. He urged her to finish the book and promised to pitch it.

When he left, Lily threw her arms around Grant. She leaned back and caught his piercing blue eyes. 

“I can’t thank you enough, Grant.” 

“My pleasure,” he said, leaning forward. 

Lily met him in the middle, sharing their first kiss.

“Unexpected and surprising,” Lily said.

“Want to try it again?” Grant asked.

“Don’t mind if we do,” Lily said, and they did.


December 17, 2020 00:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.