0 comments

American

On February 1, we got evicted from our house and we had to move into our car. So, that's fun.

On February 2, we were driving around in our car, looking for an empty parking lot to stay in. My little sister was hungry. My dad told her to hush. She started crying, but we didn't have anything to eat.

On February 3, because of what happened the day before, we went hunting for cash or coupons to get something to eat. My dad had found a 5 dollar bill, Mom came across a $1 bill, and my little sister even found a coupon for a box of Cheerios. I couldn't find anything, however, so that day so I didn't get to eat.

On February 4, we still didn't have anything to drink. So with our remaining $3.50, I went into the store and bought a 2-liter bottle of Coke. Luckily, I got to eat that night and my parents weren't mad that I spent almost the rest of their money.

On February 5, we got a parking ticket. The police officer was kind to us, however, because we were living in our car and let us go. We just had to be more careful where we parked next time.

On February 6, my parents begged and pleaded with me to try and get a job. So we drove over to my friend's house because my friend's dad had a sandwich business. We explained what happened, and then asked if they would be willing to hire me. They said yes.

On February 7, I got hired! And so, the stroke of good luck had started.

On February 8, I realized that the stroke of good luck I was having was a fluke. I got fired. I was messing up a lot, not knowing what I was doing, and then, when a rude lady came up to me and said that I didn't make her sandwich the way she ordered it, I just lost it. Unfortunately, in the process, I lost my job as well. I had to call my parents to pick me up, and they weren't too happy about the whole thing.

On February 9, my parents wouldn't speak to me. My little sister asked if I could play a game with her. I started yelling at her for no reason, and then my parents forced me into the very back for the day as punishment. Then, I found a piece of paper and a marker. I regret what I wrote to this day, but at the time, I was really mad, so I wrote: HELP! I HAVE BEEN KIDNAPPED! S.O.S! Some stupid lady saw that and took a picture of the license plate and my makeshift sign. Pretty soon, the cops pulled us over, and I had to explain. I went hungry again.

On February 10, my parents were still mad and I got kicked out of the car. I had to be on my own, learn how to survive by myself, and if they ever didn't come back for me, at least I would have learned my lesson. So I walked to the junkyard, found a piece of cardboard and a marker, and then I wrote, Anything is Appreciated, Especially Food. I walked to the intersection and I waited. I didn't expect to get anything but I got 2 dollars, a Snickers, and a water bottle for my first day. However, I had to sleep on the ground that night because I didn't have a bed.

On February 11, I got $5 and a stuffed teddy bear, which I promptly sold for $3, and a Clementine orange. Then with my 10 dollars, I proceeded to buy a $5 blanket and a $5 pillow, spending all my money but I didn't care. At least I had a place to sleep.

On February 12, I was glad to have rationed my Clementine the day before, because I didn't get much, just a dollar or two.

On February 13, I was getting sad. Besides the 12th, I had been getting stuff, but my birthday was coming in 2 days. I couldn't believe that I would have to spend my birthday poor and alone. I cried myself to sleep.

On February 14, I got a bunch of candy because it was Valentine's Day, it didn't make me happy. I went to bed sad that night for the second night in a row.

On February 15, I didn't want to get up. I wanted to sleep through the day. I wanted to make my birthday a different day. I wanted to be happy. But then, as the wind was blowing, a ticket landed on my head. Not just any ticket, though. It was a lottery ticket. And then, a car stopped. And another one. And another one. And soon, everyone came out of their cars and sang Happy Birthday. To me. I was crying so hard saying thank you, and it was awesome and I was finally happy. Then, to my surprise, a lady told me to get in her car. I did, and she took me to her house where she said I could stay for as long as I needed to. I had a huge breakfast, played games with her, and had fun. Then, at 7:00 PM, I turned the TV on and watched the lottery tickets. And they called my number. I don't remember much; I think I fainted or something. But, when I woke up, I was a millionaire. And the rest is history.

************

In the rest of February, I secured my savings in a bank, gave half my money to homeless shelters and charities, bought a mansion for my family, bought a private mansion for me, and bought a mansion for the lady who brought me to her house. I never went hungry again, my story was reported in the local and global news, I was pretty famous, and did a bunch of interviews with Oprah and Ellen DeGeneres and people like that. And I know that this is such a cliche, but, to be honest, I think the most important takeaway from my story is that, at the end of the day, we all lived happily ever after. And that is all that matters.

THE END!

April 10, 2021 14:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.