0 comments

LGBTQ+ Adventure Fantasy

This story contains sensitive content

⚠ TRIGGER WARNING: There is some cursing and talk of death in the following story.⚠

Wynter is Phil’s, a crow, and Kristan, the goddess of Death, youngest kid. She has three older biological siblings; Will, Dave, and Tom. Her adopted older sibling; Toby. She has witnessed the death of two of them, imprisonment of one, and other attacks, along with Toby’s webbing. She along with her father have damaged wings. Her father’s wing was damaged when Will exploded his own village, her wing was damaged when she was young she fell and her wing fell into lava. She was fighting off a zombie. Valentine’s day has a lot to it for her, she was injured that day she was on her way to visit Will, he was horrified when she finally go there, her wing, unfortunately, was too damaged to be saved. After that every valentine’s day no one could find her anywhere. Every village would search for her all evening. She would be home the next morning acting like she was there the whole time. She finds the day sickly sweet. She hides in a cave near the furthest village. The abandoned village that all outlaws or criminals hide. She was 10 when she met Clay, the largest criminal there is, along with his partners Nick, and George. 

“What are we going to do with the girl?” George ask. 

“We can’t kill her, she is the daughter of the goddess of death.” Clay said.

“WAIT! I can do anything for you just don’t revile my hiding spot.” Wynter yelled.

“Why are you hiding darling?” Nick asked

“It’s the worst day of the year, Valentine’s Day,” Wynter said coldly. This startled the trio, that a young girl could hate the day of love so early.

“Why do you hate it, if it isn’t a problem to ask?” Clay Asked

“My wing and everything bad that has happened to me has happened because of this day,” Wynter stated.

The trio from that day forward hung out and got info on the other villages every year, Wynter would bring the spare cookies so there was something other than potatoes, from Dave’s farm. The group had so many fun days till Tom followed Wynter and saw what she was doing this year they were going to the blossom tree path. Tom instant ran home to report what he had found. When Wynter got home her father yelled at her for the first time in ages.

“SO WHAT IF I AM HANGING OUT WITH THEM, AT LEAST THEY PAY ATTENTION TO ME!.” Wynter yells.

That night Wynter packed her bags and ran from home, her mother knew and asked why she didn’t want to stay at home. She explained that her father yelled at her just for who she was hanging out with. She found where they were sleeping for the night. Clay was awake, Wynter was surprised to see him and Dave sitting next to each other. 

“DAVE?!?!, What you doing here?” Wynter exclaimed

“Shut up. Where do you think that I was sneaking off to?” Dave said.

Clay was blushing beet red. Clay ten explained how the two met, and the story of Wynter’s meeting. 

“Dad yelled at me, cause Tom followed me.”

“He did that to me two. Stay with us we can live with them.”

“We are leaving in 10,” Nick says with a groggy voice.

“Wake your side hoe,” Dave said

“He isn’t my side hoe, he is our boyfriend.” Clay stated

“Wow, never took you for a poly guy,” Wynter says as she smirks.

“ S-shut up,” Dave stutters.

After everything got packed up they hopped on their horses and left. Wynter would turn into a crow and Dave attached her fake wing so she could fly ahead and see what was coming next. The Royal Guards were coming their way, Wynter alerted them that they were there. 

“SHIT! GO THAT WAY TO THE FALLS!” Clay yelled. Everyone had turned their horses and rushed there. Little did they know Wynter had gotten caught by the guards and was injured. 

“Where is Wynter she was just behind us?” Nick said.

Wynter soon after ran through the other side of the forest from the falls. She had turned into her human form in a panic scaring the horses of the guards. They were confused cause only one person in the kingdom could do that, Phil. Wynter’s existence wasn’t known to the king, Alastair. “What are we going to do we can’t pass the castle till night, the guards don’t have high numbers then” stated George 

“We have about half the day, we could collect more supplies or-” Dave started

“Wrong, we can’t move from the falls. They will expect us to be here. Have none of you thought about that.” Snapped Wynter. She was on edge cause the guards looked confused seeing her transform. Her father had gone to the king a lot, so why did this seem new to them. 

“Wynter! What should we do then?” Clay asked.

“We can rest here, We can collect some of the leaves to cover us, as long as they are on the ground. I have some sticks and string I can make us a small fort thing to stay hidden in” She answered. They built the shelter just before it started to rain.

“Wow, can you see the future or something?” Clay said.

“No, I didn’t know it could rain during this season here,” Wynter said. Wynter didn’t know that getting closer to the Land of Crows, which is just past the castle, would awaken her powers.

“It’s sundown let’s pack,” Clay said. Wynter was still sleeping, Clay picked her up and set her in front of him on his horse. Dave asked why he didn’t just wake her

“She has gone through a lot in the last day, she needs to rest”, Clay knew that she was getting her powers and didn’t need the pain.

“You have a soft spot for her, don’t you? Dave and George teased.

“Shut up I don’t” Clay shot at them. They headed their way, he told Dave why she was still asleep. “Your father never let her leave the village, did he?”

“No, he always feared something about her. We were never allowed around her when she was a baby, we were told it was because of her wings.” Dave said sadly.

~Few days later~

“Why do these powers hurt me, I’m the user?” Wynter exclaimed

“Your body isn’t used to them and we need to change your bandage get over here,” Dave said. They were staying in the Crow Castle Ruins, Wynter had woken up and screamed in pain as soon as they stepped foot in the kingdom. Phil had put a spell into her skin on the back of her neck, it would cause her a burning pain if she stepped into the Crow Lands. Dave was quick and took his knife and cut the spell out of her skin, as he did that her skin started to set on fire down her spine, water formed at her feet, air spinning around the group, and the earth moving under her hands.

“Ouch, that hurts you jerk. Can’t we get softer bandages?” Wynter asked

“NO, we can’t we must stay here till you have control”

“Did you know? That I was powerful,” she asked.

“No, Clay did he could sense it”

“WHAT?! HOW?” She yelled.

“I used to be a god, My powers were stripped away because of the “imbalance” in it.” he looked at George and Nick. “George is a descendant of the god of sleep, he was kept inside 24/7 till I and Nick saved him.” Clay said. Wynter now understood why he was so secretive. He was worried for his friends.

“Wait is Nick any god type?” she asked with happiness

“No~ He is a fire Panda,” Clay answered. They went on the day of training, fire was the easiest since Nick is a fire panda. The other elements not so much. Wynter snuck out one night and trained really hard, in one night she mastered the four elements. Clay and Dave watched her use all of them. “She is going to bring peace to the kingdoms” Clay whispered.

“Yeah she is, you might even be a god again,” Dave said

“And leave you and sleepy, no way. I’ll make you gods with me if that happens.” Clay said.

Winter was coming soon, the castle was in no way safe for the cold. Wynter used her power to “fix” the castle, she built the walls and used plants to make it look taken over by nature on the outside. The inside was like a huge home in a tree, a huge tree in the center with branches holding the place together.

“We should make a farm to grow food for the winter, more than potatoes,” Wynter said. They worked to make the garden by the tree. 

“How are you going to keep the King from seeing the smoke from your fire? someone suddenly said. Everyone turned around to the voice, only for Dave and Wynter to freak out.

“How did you find us, Karl we left no traces!?” Dave asked.

“You don’t hide your tracks in the wood very well,” Karl stated. “Did you find this or make it?” he then asked looking around.

“I made it, father didn’t tell me everything about our family,’ Wynter stated.

“We hope it’s fine if I and my boyfriend stay with you this winter?” Karl asked.

“Sure, but what are you doing on this side of the castle?”

“The winter winds picked up and we could head home,” Someone else said. After everyone introduced themselves they found their rooms to sleep till morning.

The next morning everyone saw that Wynter had made a staircase leading underground but she was just staring at it.

“Did you make that, why?” Karl asked.

“N-n-no, it was here when I woke up” she answered. She then started to walk down the stairs,

“STOP, don’t go down there,” Clay yelled.

“Go with me then, if we don’t return by sundown come looking for us,” Wynter said coldly. The original trio hasn’t heard this voice in years.

Wynter and Clay headed down the staircase, there were a lot of skeletons on the floors, one was found at the end of the only path largest of all the skeletons, having crow wings. A crown was on the ground and had four large gemstones, each with a foreign symbol carved into them.

“Let’s go back upstairs, I want to see the crown better.” they headed upstairs and the others were happy to see them.

“Does this crown look familiar to you, it does to me,” Wynter said. 

“It’s on one of dad’s tapestries, it has a different language on it too,” Dave said.

“Guys, we need to talk to your father then, if he has things in the language he must know it!” Karl said.

“What about the winter winds we can’t leave? Alex said.

“I can help with that,” Wynter said. They headed their way to Phil’s home. When they entered the village everyone cheered cause they had returned. No one recognized Wynter cause her powers had colored her hair an electric mint color.

“Father, we need to speak with you,” Wynter said as she opened the door, only to see Will, Tom, and her father sitting there looking at her old things. “Why are acting like I’m dead?” This caught their attention.

“WYNTER!” the three yelled at once.

“Why did you keep our family history secret? I went through so much pain just to control my powers. I thought you were better than that.” Wynter asked. She set the crown on the table.

“Why do you have this, I put a spell on you to keep you out of the kingdom, I-”

“Stop, we cut it out obviously. What does it say.” Phil then went on about the Crow war, King Hero had attacked the crow palace and killed all crows but Phil was kept alive to watch over the villages. He was never to have a kid with crow in them. He kept her alive knowing that she would bring peace.

“Wait, King Hero? Wynter asked

“Yes King Alastair’s Dad,” Phil said He continued to explain that she was the heir to the throne. And she had to learn the language before then. She worked hard for the rest of winter. She then stormed the Castle and started the war of Kingdoms. The war was ended by Wynter Dying. Everyone was depressed by it. She was buried under the tree in the crow palace. She came back alive becoming the goddess of Crows. She then killed Alastair. George took the throne. Clay, Dave, and George were turned into gods, Nick married Karl and Alex. Wynter herself a wife and they had triplets and a new baby girl. The triplets; are Ember, Ara, Ajax. Then Anahita. Each possesses the power their name means. Ember is fire, Ara is air, Ajax is earth, and Anahita is water. There was peace everywhere not a single war. Wynter was looking at the new horizon of the Crow Kingdom, her family joining her.

February 19, 2022 23:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.