54 comments

Science Fiction Drama Romance

The Earth Museum had been devoid of visitors for weeks before its overhead tubes crackled and illuminated the cavernous atrium beyond my enclosure. I heard the familiar grind and clank of the distant security door and peered through the reinforced glass to see our android curator enter with a scaly reptilian, lurching forward on its hind legs. The immediate greeting from my fellow inmates was the usual deafening, mealtime cacophony of howls, shrieks and yelps. The curator waited for the racket to diminish before starting the tour, introducing his exhibits one by one.

   “And here are two dalmations we rescued from the top of a tower block.”

   “What a curious collection,” hissed the reptilian, gazing up at the five levels of cages and pens. “It’s a miracle you captured so many different species,”

   We were a curious crew to be sure; reduced to survival instincts and fed on starvation rations. However, with no food on offer today, I’d have to put on a show. Maybe, if I got lucky, an amusing performance would warrant a treat.

   “Indeed, it was miracle,” said the android. “Every building in the capital was inundated with only the upper apartments and roof terraces escaping the deluge.”

   “But you’ve been selective about which species you gathered?”

   “The so-called humans have a story about an old man who rescued animals to maintain the gene pool.”

   “And collected pairs of beasts, I suppose?”

   “We’ve emulated his endeavours in order to restock the Earth when it recovers---”

   “You mean, if it recovers?”

   “Well, yes.” The curator’s visual sensors pulsated. “It’ll take an age.”

   “And in the meantime---”

   “We’ve commenced a breeding program for the smaller mammals…”

   There were hundreds of specimens in the enormous exhibition, creatures from every continent; all survivors of the great flood. However, my quiet cell mate and I were the only representatives of our species in the collection. We’d encountered other humans hiding out there in the ruins; hardy ones who were fierce and cunning. There were less fortunate ones too.  

   Before I was plucked naked from the stockades and imprisoned here, I’d encountered farms packed with wretched humans huddled together like battery chickens. The A.I. curators were merciless in their pursuit of balance and order after the ecosystem collapsed. Bone marrow fertiliser contains nutrients that are ideal for replenishing the soil. Our species were fit for purpose and they harvest us to provide that perfect ingredient.

   “As you can appreciate, our function here is to store genetic code.”

   “Will there be a time when that’ll be useful?”

   “Indeed.” The android paused nearby. “Here’s a good example of a two humans.”

   “I wondered when I’d meet one in the flesh---”

   “Don’t be fooled.” The curator stared in my direction. “They’re capable of intelligence and following commands, and possess impressive dexterity but they’ll make a bid for freedom given a chance.”

   When the tipping point arrived, the devastation happened quicker than predicted. The air temperature increased exponentially, melting both icecaps during the course of one summer. The sea levels rose faster than the worst predictions and whole populations stampeded in a panic to reach the high ground. It was a perfect storm. As a result, people either murdered each other in the mass exodus or drowned in lines of stationary vehicles in their attempt to escape. 

   “What went wrong for them do you suppose?”

   “They were always doomed.”

   “That’s not my understanding.”

   “Believe me,” said the android. “They were unfit for their habitat, which is why they evolved a unique capacity for tailoring it to their needs on a global scale—”

   “And destroyed the planet in the process?” 

   “Exactly,” said the curator, hovering outside my cage. “My generation of A.I. are better suited to survive the devastation, nurture the Earth and rebuild what they neglected and annihilated.”

   The damn android was right. We’d become a useless species. Our brains had atrophied due to a reliance on computers and we’d lost our strength through a dependence on them for all our basic physical requirements. Not many humans possessed common sense anymore, and with limited resources and no survival skills, we simply dwindled and evaporated like morning dew in the desert. As the land masses retreated from the encroaching oceans, other species became dominant in the battle for survival. The Earth’s oldest apex predators thrived once again because the rising waters provided a bountiful supply of carcasses to devour.  

   The reptile tracked my movements with unblinking eyes as I cavorted on my straw bedding and cuddled up to my female companion. She understood what was occurring through experience and played along with my courting ritual; sticking her nose in the air and playing hard to get. We both knew a good show was essential now, it would enhance our survival prospects and, well, one thing led to another. They used to call it ‘singing for one’s supper’ back in the day. We just prayed the new owner wouldn’t devour us after his purchase.

   The reptile’s sharp pink tongue flicked out past his thin lips and a curious half-smile appeared for a moment before he turned to the silent android curator. 

   “You get used to their erratic behaviour after a while.” 

   I shuffled forward with my right arm outstretched, staring at the creature, and tilted my head to one side.

   The curator scanned the reptile’s response. “They can’t be trusted you realise and they’ll manipulate you given an opportunity.”

   “I see,” hissed the reptile. “They’re charming but dangerous, then?”

   “Only on mass.” The android’s visual sensors blinked. “They can be brought to heal with strict discipline and punishment.”

   I approached the transparent divider screen and pressed my palm against its scratched surface. A pair of glinting yellow eyes stared back at me, then out of nowhere a set of five elongated claws appeared. I’d established contact across the void. I twitched in surprise as a slender, pointed tongue flicked out and vanished again. I couldn’t take my eyes of the curious reptile. Maybe it would make an offer for us? Could I imagine this reptile as my new master? 

Was this my way out of here? 

Or was I his next meal?

   “They’re cute in a primitive way…”

   “They’re deceptively intelligent.”

   “How much for the pair?”

   Yes! It was our lucky day. 

   “We can negotiate a decent rate as they’re past their prime.”

   “Would that include transportation costs and export duties?”

   “You’re driving me hard.”

   “What about their muzzles?”

   “No need.” The curator paused. “We’ve rendered them voiceless.”

   “How so?”

   “A simple glossectomy.”

   “Was that really necessary?”

   “Their incessant chatter was awful.” 

   “They possess linguistic abilities?”

   “You’ll thank us for our intervention.” The curator’s sensors glowed. “In fact, we should charge extra for the procedure as many don’t survive.”

   “What a regrettable waste of resources.”

   “Indeed.”

   They brutalised us for months in that battery farm. We were packed together like worms in a fishing-bait can, stumbling into each other and waiting, forever waiting for our A.I. stewards to remove us. No one ever returned to tell their story, but a certain death was preferable to that hellish existence, cowering in darkness.

   “As you’ll notice,” said the curator, “They’re not house trained and will multiply swiftly, colonising all available space.”

   “Well maybe…”

   “Can I suggest a smaller species than can be easily consumed at a later date?”

   “Are this pair edible?”

   “Not in their present state, however with care and nurturing, they’d make nutritious snacks and---” 

   “Aren’t there are laws against harvesting them on this planet?” 

   “We operate in an observational capacity and only release specimens with some assurance…”

   “A preservation order then?”

   “Certainly, yes.”

   “You have my word.”

   “We need further reassurance.”

   “Galactose credits?”

   “That’ll do nicely.”

   “Any nutritional advice?”

   “We feed them raw vegetation, however a word of caution…” The curator paused to face me. “Don’t give them apples.”

   “But surely fruit is good for---”

   “Don’t let them loose in an orchard, got that?”

   “So, no fruit, then.”

   “You’ll end up with untold problems if they find an apple tree.”

   “What names do they respond to?”

   “The male responds to Adam.”

   “And the female?”

   “Whatever…” The curator observed me as I snarled at him and approached the clear screen. “They’re feral beasts for the most part.”

   My breath condensed on the cold glass and I scrawled my loved ones name in the condensation… 

   ‘Eve’

   “She’s Eve?”

   “Take no notice.” The curator turned away. “They’re crafty but uneducated.”

   “They appear harmless to me.” 

   “Don’t believe it.”

THE END

March 23, 2024 03:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

54 comments

Viga Boland
12:50 Mar 24, 2024

That almost suits the new week’s prompt. Very dystopian yet ancient. Clever concept.

Reply

Howard Halsall
18:54 Mar 24, 2024

Hey Viga, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your positive thoughts. Yes, I agree with you, it does seem to suit the new prompt, maybe I should enter it into this week’s contest and watch what happens..,. :) Take care HH :)

Reply

Viga Boland
02:13 Mar 25, 2024

Wouldn’t that be an interesting experiment LOL

Reply

Howard Halsall
08:18 Mar 25, 2024

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
10:42 Mar 24, 2024

Very clever Howard. A good skillfully told story. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Reply

Howard Halsall
18:46 Mar 24, 2024

Hey Stevie, Thank you for taking the time to read my story and share your thoughts; I appreciate your positive feedback. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martha Kowalski
04:07 Mar 24, 2024

This was so well written, with all the intricacies and references to the apples and the flood, down to the title - really great. Thanks for liking my story.

Reply

Howard Halsall
05:22 Mar 24, 2024

Hey Martha, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your positive thoughts. I’m pleased you enjoyed, relieved it made sense and hope it offers food for thought. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
21:55 Mar 23, 2024

Yeah, maybe time to start over. Thanks for liking my 'When Will We Ever Learn '.

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:53 Mar 24, 2024

Hey Mary, Thank you for reading my latest and offering your concise response; you hit the proverbial nail rather smartly on the head. It occurred to me, if your title was attached to my tale, the answer would be a resounding,‘never’. Alas…. Maybe, I should’ve called my story, ‘Here we go again…’ ? Take care HH

Reply

Mary Bendickson
01:36 Mar 24, 2024

Your title said it nicely.

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:54 Mar 24, 2024

Fair enough :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Harry Stuart
14:19 Mar 23, 2024

Skillful storytelling, Howard. I enjoyed how you created this circular path between AI and the Creation event, as history does have the tendency of repeating itself. Well done!

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:46 Mar 24, 2024

Hey Harry, Thank you for reading my latest story and sharing your thoughts. I agree with your sentiment; history repeats and we learn nothing. I’ve often wondered how many civilisations existed on Earth previous to our own and pondered the poor decisions that led to their downfall. They say, ‘there’s nothing new’ and it’s so true. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
10:01 Mar 23, 2024

I suppose gearing up for Speculative Fiction Week (which, I'm struggling with given that I'm not at all a fan of. Hahaha !) ? Anyway, I loved how unique a take this is on the prompt. I suppose a good way to reflect on how to take care of the planet. Great use of imagery and tension. Lovely job, as usual !

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:39 Mar 24, 2024

Hey Stella, Thank you for your positive comments; they’re much appreciated. I haven’t got my ideas sorted out for this week’s contest, however it’s a funny coincidence that my ‘Earth Museum’ story would match the new prompts…. Anyhow, I’ll have to get my thinking cap out and have a little ponder….. :) Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
07:56 Mar 23, 2024

Wow. "Don't give them apples..." Extraordinary. You got me there. This is version of Creation I could easily believe.

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:32 Mar 24, 2024

Hey Darvico, Thank you for reading my latest story and sharing your thoughts. I’m glad you enjoyed it and pleased you picked up on the Creation references. Who knows? It could be our fate…. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
06:32 Mar 23, 2024

I really enjoyed this clever story and the references to what happened to the planet and species. It is a first rate story that inspires the reader to think deeply about current issues relating to humans, climate, the environment and survival, along with the ai issues. Will ai take over? Clever story, good answer to this week's prompt. I enjoyed reading this mentally stimulating story. Well done!

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:29 Mar 24, 2024

Hey Kristi, Thank you for taking the time to read my story and leave your positive feedback. I’m glad it’s provided a talking point and hope the themes will linger in your mind, after all, the issues I raise are an ongoing concern…. Take care HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
04:31 Mar 23, 2024

Glad you got off "island time" :-) This is chilling, though probable. It's true that we are, in all our stupidity, on a path to self-annihilation. May our overlords have pity on us. Thanks for liking my stuff.

Reply

Howard Halsall
00:22 Mar 24, 2024

Hey Trudy, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your immediate thoughts. I’m pleased you enjoyed and hope you weren’t too disturbed by its bleak tone….. I guess as, a species, we’re about to reap what we’ve been sowing for a long while and reckon it’s time to appreciate what remains, and hang on to it with both hands :) Take care HH

Reply

Trudy Jas
01:58 Mar 24, 2024

No, I wasn't disturbed. My theory is that the world started going to hell in a handbasket the first time someone said, "Hm, I think I want a sandwich." With that one move, we stopped following our food, and started to make a carbon footprint. We haven't stopped since. I have a whole story ready to go but haven't come across the right prompt yet. One day, I'm sure. How's your book going?

Reply

Howard Halsall
19:26 Mar 24, 2024

Hey Trudy, I reckon you’re right about the food issue. There are so many modern day issues that can be put down to the abundance of processed foods full of E-numbers, preservatives and addictive ingredients. The phrase, ‘We are what we eat’ sums up the situation and probably accounts for as many mental health problems as dietary complications. I’d love to read the story you mentioned, as clearly it’s a topic you’re very passionate about. Concerning my book idea; I’m now mulling over a couple of new projects…. Hopefully it’ll all come tog...

Reply

Trudy Jas
19:53 Mar 24, 2024

You're right, we are slowly poisoning ourselves. But I actually mean the very first time we moved from being hunters to becoming settlers and started cutting down trees to grow stuff that grew wild. And don't get me started on reckless procreation. :-)

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:20 Mar 24, 2024

Blimey! I bet the story you mentioned packs quite a punch :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shahzad Ahmad
11:22 Apr 03, 2024

Well written story Howard. I really like the part where the human ability to act and create is hijacked by machines and they are reduced to a shadow of themselves. Well done!

Reply

Howard Halsall
14:58 Apr 03, 2024

Hey Shahzad, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts regarding your favourite part; it’s certainly valid to be concerned about the advance in AI’s capabilities because the temptation to succumb to their power is immense. Let’s hope the human spirit and common sense prevail; after all, hope is our unique strength . Take care HH

Reply

Shahzad Ahmad
17:55 Apr 03, 2024

Yes we need to be wary of the dark side of AI. Keep writing and exploring the human condition!

Reply

Howard Halsall
18:48 Apr 03, 2024

I agree with you and furthermore I intend to do just that…. HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Frank Lester
17:44 Mar 29, 2024

Genisis meets Planet of the Apes. Well done. Very well done. A nice twist on the fate of humans. Only one comment: about midway in your story this line appeared - "I couldn’t take my eyes of the curious reptile." "of" should be "off", or "off of." Nice work. Thanks for sharing it.

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:17 Mar 29, 2024

Hey Frank, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thought comments. I’m glad you enjoyed it and hope my clumsy typos didn’t spoil the experience for you… Take care HH :)

Reply

Frank Lester
03:00 Mar 30, 2024

You're very welcome. The experience wasn't spoiled. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Stay well. Frank

Reply

Howard Halsall
03:04 Mar 30, 2024

Thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michael Maceira
17:36 Mar 29, 2024

There's something about intelligent reptiles. They make for the best species to write about. Maybe it's because I can hear his voice as he gazes at Adam and Eve. It's almost like he's bringing a conspiracy theory to life: humanity was started by lizard people! Wonderful job, sir.

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:14 Mar 29, 2024

Hey Michael, Thank you for taking the time to read my story and share your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. IMHO - there’s a grain of truth in every conspiracy theory, I mean, exactly how did a talking serpent in the Garden of Eden tempt the couple with an apple unless it possessed limbs to proffer it? So maybe the serpent was a bit like a biped reptile? Who knows, but it’s kinda fun to think about it, wouldn’t you agree? Take care HH

Reply

Michael Maceira
22:20 Mar 29, 2024

Love your imagination.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:02 Mar 28, 2024

Maybe you should resubmit it for the latest prompt. Agree totally! Wow. Dystopian, human's ruining the planet, a ruined planet, taken over by animal predators and AI s. This story has it all. The title suggested a reference to the Garden of Eden. Correct. You referred to it so deftly. Just a thought about that. They actually assume it was an apple but there is no proof what fruit it was. Adam and Eve had been given everything and we know how ungrateful people can be if spoilt rotten. Resentful even. So, they had been given a way to show ap...

Reply

Howard Halsall
01:12 Mar 29, 2024

Hey Kaitlyn, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. I’m pleased you enjoyed it and had fun unravelling all the references. To be honest, I’m relieved it all made sense because it was a heck of scramble for the contest deadline again. However, it has given me a few ideas for an attempt at a longer piece; there are so many unanswered questions and untold possibilities to explore…. HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
D H
17:47 Mar 28, 2024

Wow...Im speechless. Great story. Idk how you do it. Great work!

Reply

Howard Halsall
19:12 Mar 28, 2024

Hey D, Thanks for reading my story and leaving your positive feedback; I appreciate it and pleased you enjoyed it :) Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lo Lace
22:05 Mar 26, 2024

This made me chuckle in that dark humor nerd way. Love it Howard!

Reply

Howard Halsall
22:08 Mar 26, 2024

Hey Lo, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your reactions. It’s lovely to put a smile on a reader’s face, so long may it linger. Take care HH :)

Reply

Lo Lace
09:25 Mar 27, 2024

Welcome HH! You take care as well!

Reply

Howard Halsall
09:55 Mar 27, 2024

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:38 Mar 26, 2024

There are parts that's seem painfully true, and others... well, let's hope we don't arrive there :D Well written, kept the intrigue until the end. Nice twist with the names as well.

Reply

Howard Halsall
14:25 Mar 26, 2024

Hey Laura, Thank you reading my story and sharing your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. I’m glad you enjoyed it and pleased it kept you in suspense until the end. I can’t ask for a more satisfying outcome, other than hoping the idea lingers a while and causes a talking point in the future…. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeremy Burgess
07:49 Mar 26, 2024

What a great reveal! Grim but very enjoyable, Nice work!

Reply

Howard Halsall
08:45 Mar 26, 2024

Hey Jeremy, Thank you for reading my story and leaving for positive feedback. I hope you didn’t find it too depressing; it’s certainly a grim view of Earth’s future prospects…. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shobana Gomes
06:07 Mar 25, 2024

The dialogue is great, especially naming the specimens Adam and Eve. An engaging story, fast-paced and an interesting dystopian story. “Aren’t there are laws against harvesting them on this planet?” I think a typo here needs correcting:)

Reply

Howard Halsall
08:58 Mar 25, 2024

Hey Shobana, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your positive feedback. I’m pleased you enjoyed it and hope my awful typos didn’t spoil the experience. I usually get a chance to edit such mistakes but alas on this occasion….. Tahe care HH

Reply

Shobana Gomes
06:22 Mar 26, 2024

No, it hasn't. thank you:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.