0 comments

Mystery

It’s one o’clock in the afternoon and I had spent most of the day moving the boxes from the van into the house we had just bought. The house was a small, sort of old-fashioned, but it was what we could afford. My roommate was supposed to be here helping me but instead she said something came up at work and she had to go. I looked into the van and there was one more box left; I walked over slowly and picked it even though my arms ached.

“I can’t believe I saved this box for last,” I muttered to myself regretting the choice I had made. This box was full of books and encyclopedias that my roommate said that she needed. As I neared the living room, where all the other boxes were, my grip on the box started to loosen. I scanned the room, realizing there was not enough space to put the box. So I started to rush to the nearest wall so that I could get a better grip on the box before going into my bedroom. The box wasn’t even taped and I knew if I dropped it, there would be a big mess. I got to the wall and started to make my way down the hallway. Suddenly I felt my foot hit something and I ended up sprawled across the floor with books sliding out of the box. “You’ve got to be kidding me,” I thought to myself, “why does this stuff always happen to me?”

I got hold of the bathroom doorknob and pulled myself up as my legs throbbed with pain. I started to look around to see what I had tripped on. I figured it was like a- there it was! One of the floorboards seem slightly higher than the other ones. I crouched down and tried to pull it up with all of my strength. As I kept pulling I realized that it wasn’t only one floorboard, it was multiple. This was getting harder. Using as much energy as I could I yanked the floorboard back discovering and four by four hole. My roommate is not going to be happy when she sees what I did.

I peered into the hole only to discover a winding staircase. The stairs were made out of stones and there was moss growing in between the cracks. The walls on the sides of the stair case were also made out of stone and they had candelabras attached to them. All of the candles were lit and I knew this meant that somebody had gone down there recently. I knew I should just put the floorboard back in its place and forget about the staircase; but I couldn’t resist, I loved a good adventure. I jumped up ran to the living room, forgetting about the pain in my legs. I saw the box marked “Emergency Supplies”, so I ripped it open and found the flashlight. Turning it on and making sure it had enough batteries, I walked back to the hole.

I slowly started to make my way down the stairs. As I walked further the hole leading back to my house seemed to be getting smaller. The stairs also seemed to be getting wetter. By the time I reached the bottom of the stairs, there was water halfway up my calf. As I kept walking down the tunnel, I turned my flashlight on high because it seemed to be getting darker. I saw silhouette of a man.

“Who are you,” I asked my voice quivering. Suddenly piercing blue eyes appeared in the darkness. “We have been expecting you,” the man said.

February 25, 2020 14:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.