Wolves,Sirens,and Monsters

Written in response to: Write a story inspired by the phrase “The plot thickens.”... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Romance Teens & Young Adult

The night grew colder as I walked home from work. The ice breaking wind caressed my face thoroughly as it rushed through my hair.”Another long night…” I mumbled to myself as I continued to walk home, tired, and sick of such a boring life. Then I smelt something sort of surprising to my surroundings. I smelt wolfs bane…a deadly scent, making me wanna draw closer to the smell naturally. like sweet rosemary, lavender, or maybe a cinnamon spice? The delightful scent filled my lungs, as well as my nose, making my mouth water as I followed the scent. Within minutes I found a beautiful woman, she stood out within the huge crowd of cross walkers waiting to cross. Her beautifully colored autumn hair fell across her back, dancing in the wind.

Her slim body fit perfectly into her tight skirt, stilettos, and denim jacket. She wore a brown bagged leather satchel across her shoulder, decorated with Indian beads and embroidery of blooming purple orchids, flourishing across her bag. And then I noticed, her eyes seemed almost a brightly iridescent purple, lighting up her entire face as I admired her beauty. I didn't see any foundation, makeup, lip gloss, or eyelash, hell all I saw were her beautifully shining purple contact lens. They pulled my eyes from the rest of her body, and to her face as the wind caressed her face gently, brushing her hair randomly as she walked across the road. She walked gracefully as I decided to follow her little ways out, toward the outskirts, almost a quarter of a mile up. Just as soon as I cross the road, she stops about ten feet ahead of me, and I wanted to stop before she spotted me, but I don't. Why can't I stop?!

I continued walking over to her, wondering what the hell was going on with me. Suddenly standing in position, right next to her, she looks up, stunning me with her angelic face, and what looked like faint scale marks scattered throughout her forehead, and around her lower cheeks.” why are you following me, Mr…?” she seemed to be more intrigued than surprised at me following her, all the way up to Starbucks.”Hunter, I'm Hunter, and I wasn't following you, I was going to Starbucks Ms…?” She just grinned, like a kid who got caught stealing candy, and playfully laughed, distracting the parents from her actions with her joyous laugh.” Tell you what, I'll let you go, if you forget about asking my name, and leave me alone”.

The moment she finished that sentence, her eyes flashed a deadly dark pink color, almost a dark pink tulip color, showing off little pieces of silver within her eyes. This was a strange situation to be in, she was not human…she was the one holding my body in place, allowing me to talk to her, clearly not someone to mess with.” Ok, fine, can I ask why you have wolfsbane ma’am?”.Ok, yep, I know, I know,” don't mess with the crazy lady!” I'm a werewolf, of course, I'm going to ask about the wolfsbane she carried.” You have never actually eaten wolfsbane before, have you?” She started to grab my arm, my body didn't flinch, let alone resist as I wondered what the hell she was doing, and I felt a sudden pain at the palm of my hand.

Her eyes went hungry as her nail dug into the main vein, leading to the palm of my hand.” No, I've never tasted it… I've only heard tails, and we have a patch at the outskirts of town, hidden from humans, it's forbidden to eat them”.She looked up into my face, painfully piercing my skin, and cutting my vein as my attention focused on her, her angelic face distracted me from the stinging pain as she cut me. And suddenly, as strangers walk past us, she licks my bleeding wrist with her tongue…electrifying,and terrifying,as well as creepy.

She looked back up at me as my blood decorated her mouth, She seemed satisfied by the taste, an addictive look showed in her eyes as she spoke her next words.``Meet back here, tomorrow night, around this time, I'll give you wolfs bane, your blood is payment for it. I thought for a minute, and then I realized something, why the hell am I considering this?! For all, I knew she was the devil in disguise, or a vampire ready to kill me, maybe a cannibal that wants to eat me alive! “Don't worry, people are living around us, if I wanted you dead, I would have already done it” she spoke calmly, her tone was understandable as she touched my wrist again (which hurt like hell considering the busted vein). “Your blood is rich and thick, don't worry ill heal it” She gave a smug grin, letting her other hand hover about my wrist as it faced upward.

Her touch was fragile and warm, slowly my wrist grew more and more agitated, and as she healed my wrist, I decided to ask.” How come none of these humans realize the magic your using, why did they ignore you,when you licked my blood?”. Her smug smile only got bigger as she continued to say “Simple, more magic, I conceive them by making their minds ignore our real actions, instead, they see us just talking, like any ordinary conversation started between two or more people”. Suddenly I thought I'd collapse, my head broke into a spinning room as I tried to keep my balance on the sidewalk.” You have wolfs bane in your system now Hunter, let's hope you get the better transformation instead of a fatal death within the next'' She stopped to look at her silver laced watch “8 Hours, good luck”.

I stopped to think about what she just said, and process what she just told me, she had wolfs bane on her tongue? “Shit!” I murmured to myself as she walked away gracefully, leaving me with one lingering thought in my head “what did you just walk into Hunter Ryan Woods...?"



April 14, 2023 18:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.