2 comments

Thriller Suspense Mystery

Him 

He felt twigs bend and break under his heavy boots. The forest engulfed him, removing him more from the outside world with every step he took. He loved the journey to his women. Some might argue it is much too far for a daily excursion, but the adrenaline he felt as he approached the cabin never left him wanting. He saw the small structure far on the horizon and his heartbeat quickened in anticipation. A smile spread across his face as he thought about what lies behind those metal doors. His thoughts went to his newest conquest. She reminded him so much of Stella. He shook his head, trying to rid images of the one who got away. He took a deep breath, taking in the bouquet of odors that the forest shared. He knew he shouldn’t be caught up on the one that got away. Not if there were still seven belonging to him. 

Jane 

As she struggled to break out of her slumber, she became aware of a soft sound. Drip, drip, drip, it went. If she was at home or the office, the sound would have annoyed her. She would have jumped up, found the source, and eliminated it right away. Here, however, it offered some comfort, like the beating of a heart promising life. She knew being here would be challenging. She had prepared herself for this for months. The floor was cold and hard against her cheek. Her head throbbed as she stirred, opening her eyes. The room was dark and unwelcoming. Sitting up, she took a minute, patiently waiting for the wave of nausea to pass. Her hands ran over her abdomen and ribs. The pain remained, a dull throbbing deep within. A tear ran down her cheek and she allowed herself to feel the mixture of emotions that overtook her. Putting her head back against the cold wall, she closed her eyes and thought of Stella. She saw her smile and she felt her lips curl at the memory of her dear sister. She needed to get strength from this. Stella was the reason she was here after all. He had taken something so beautiful and pure away from her and it was time to pay. 

Him 

He loved how the colors of the forest changed as he moved closer to the cabin. It became bleaker and dull as if it knew of the evil that brewed there. Sometimes when he approached, he could hear the miserable sounds of those he had captured. Those were his favorite days. He hoped that today would be one of those days, in fact, he was pretty sure it would be. He had a new one, after all. He loved the first few days of a woman’s captivity: the screams, the begs, and the useless attempts to negotiate. It was only later that they accepted their doom. Then they often became pretty comatose and that frustrated him, encouraging him to find a fresh one that could keep him entertained for some time again. As he approached the stairs of the cabin, his footsteps became louder. They needed to know he was here. He stood still, listening carefully, hoping to hear the sounds of their spirits dying. They were quiet. He removed his keys, annoyed by their resilience. Shaking his head, he thought of his newest victim. She was either brave or naive not to panic at a time like this. Neither of those qualities would help her here - nothing could. Here he was in charge. A smile spread across his face as he thought about all the ways that he would show her that he was God in these parts. A thrill ran through him as he unlocked the door. 

Jane 

After Stella escaped, the police searched for her captor. Stella led them back to the place she escaped from, and still they couldn’t find the man who had tortured her so. The place was deserted, the monster gone. It didn’t take long before a new case took priority and Stella’s suffering was soon forgotten. Jane sat night after night, running her fingers through Stella’s hair listening to the harrowing tales of what had happened to her sweet sister. Jane’s frustration and fury grew. Unfortunately, it took her sister’s suicide for her to commit to taking the bastard down herself. She knew that men like him were creatures of habit. If she made herself appear as prey, he would bite. It took 6 months for her to prepare herself mentally and physically. Her Krav Maga instructor was amazed by her determination and obedience to the art. What he didn’t know was that nothing is as powerful a motivator as the need for revenge. Once she was ready, she began to hang out in the area where Stella was taken. It took him only 10 days to snatch her. LIttle did he know, it would take him years to pay off his debt. 

Him 

He turned his head like a dog investigating an unfamiliar sound. The bars on the door gave him a glimpse of her. She was sitting against the wall, eyes open, watching him, watching her. He smiled and felt his pulse quicken. This one was fierce and exciting. Normally he liked it when they were whiny and dramatic, but this was thrilling. A disobeying animal that needed to be trained, he thought while licking his lips. The door opened slowly, creakingly. Whiffs of urine and sweat filled his nostrils, but he didn’t care. She had his full attention. Bending down, he removed the bottle of water from the bag. He watched her carefully with fascination. She licked her lips instinctively but never begged. She waited patiently until the open bottle was at her lips. Her hand covered his as she tilted the bottle and took a big gulp. She drank until there wasn’t much left and then let go of his hand. After closing the bottle, he put it down. She said something inaudible. He leaned in closer hoping she’ll repeat herself. He couldn’t make much sense of it, only that it sounded repetitive like some kind of mantra. A shiver ran down his spine as he made out the words that she was repeating, “The time has come to pay the piper.” 

September 11, 2023 12:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

09:33 Sep 17, 2023

Good story. I would a bit more on Stella feeling as he is coming for her.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kirin Red
02:03 Sep 12, 2023

I liked the descriptions and overall story, but I wish there were more personal details about both characters to make me feel more invested in them.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.