3 comments

Fantasy Fiction

Solina watched her mother flit about the small, dusty room. She could see the blotching of her skin, despite the many layers of makeup the matriarch used. As much as Eissa preached about this being an honor, it was not hidden she was worried about the potential loss of her daughter. “Do we really have to continue to do this? Has he not had enough wives to keep him entertained?” Solina protested as Eissa scurried back, miles of fabric swallowing her. “Solina! You mustn’t speak so ill of Meldir. Yes, we must offer a bride to the God of Harvest when the signs come. You know to be chosen is to bless yourself and your family for generations! And he will protect our village’s crops in return.” 


Solina rolled her eyes as her mother slid the iridescent white dress over her head. She had yet to see the dress in its entirety and was speechless as she looked in the frosted mirror. Solina ran her hands down her stomach, entranced by the nearly invisible gold wheat detailing that glittered playfully. Her mother fastned the neckline collar around Solina’s neck, then pulled back her black hair away from her face. “Solina, no matter the outcome, you are my daughter. I have carried you next to my heart before you were born into the world. I have held you in your tears, and rejoiced in your laughter.” Her mother placed a kiss to her temple, and despite Eissa’s steady voice, her lips trembled against Solina. Solina swallowed hard and blinked back the tears that were stinging her eyes, threatening to rush down her face as Eissa placed the veiled comb in her hair. 


She knew better, but her own selfish mind didn’t take into account how hard this would be for her mother. Solina used the fact her face was hidden to truly look at her mother, to memorize the face of her greatest ally. For the first time, she truly saw Eissa. The deepened furrows between her brows, scowl lines reaching for her chin replacing the laugh lines that once bracketed her thinning lips, and the raw pink rings of her eyelids from recent tears.


‘I will not be chosen. I cannot leave my mother.’ 


Eissa cleared her throat and smoothed her hands over her blouse. “It is time, my daughter.” Taking her mother’s elbow, the pair left the small preparation room toward the edge of their small village. Solina tried to concentrate on the coarse sound of her mother’s shoes grinding in the dirt, but it only made her own near silent barefoot steps seem that much louder. She lift her face to the sky, recalling the morning her whole world changed. 


Solina had gotten up with the morning birds and made breakfast as she normally did. Once her mother was prepared for the day as the village spiritual guide, Solina had gone out to tend to the fields. On her way, she noticed three crows fighting over a toy ladder. The feathered trio paused their bickering to watch as she passed. Solina scowled as niggling of something important danced out of reach. Her friend Zaya was already pulling a hoe through the rows of wheat. They both worked side by side, removing the weeds that tried to rob the crop of nutrients and trading the latest gossip. Both women paused and held their breath as the air suddenly grew very heavy and still. Solina looked around for the unknown threat when the sky, still blushing from the sun rising, grew dark. Zaya and Solina turned to the sun and watched as the light was slowly swallowed by darkness and became instead a ring of pure fire. The women dropped their tools and ran. Solina’s legs burned by the time she made it up the steps of the temple. “Quiet!” Eissa’s voice rang out over the the rumble of a hundred voices. “The time has come for Meldir to take a new consort! It has been many years since the last rite.” Solina felt her heart stop as she met her mother’s eyes, knowing that her fate has changed forever. 


The village temple was not very large compared to others Solina had heard about, but it served their community well. Unlike most, there was not just one God honored here. Along the side walls were smaller shrines for the individual Gods and Goddesses, but at the head of the room sat a much larger single shrine. The God of Harvest Meldir. Solina had spent many hours on her knees before the statue, praying to Meldir for a bountiful crop. But now she looks up at the stone face with fear. The rest of the village gathered around the edges of the temple, their hushed voices reminding Solina of the sound the dried corn makes rustling against each other. She and her mother were the first to the dais. Her skin prickled with the attention of so many eyes upon her. Solina shifted her weight uncomfortably from one foot to the other, all the while trying to remain the picture of serenity. She thanked Nuae, the Goddess of Luck, that no one would feel the cold dampness of her hands or hear her stomach twisting itself into knots. 


A soft rustling of feathers caught Solina’s attention. In the rafters near the door, sat three crows. She looked about to see if anyone else had noticed the avian spectators, but no one else seemed to be paying them any mind. It was not uncommon for birds to roost in the rafters. The uncomfortable nagging feeling returned. 'Why are you so important? Crows are messengers… but what is your significance?' The middle, larger bird of the trio watched Solina with what felt like the same level of intrigue before picking up a twig with an oak leaf hanging on and taking flight, along with its companions. 


Just as the crows left the temple, the front doors opened once again. Zaya and her mother entered the temple, her friend was also dressed in a silken white gown that grazed the tops of her bare feet. The red lace high collar neck line gave the illusion of molten copper against her skin. Zaya was always considered the beauty of the village, but at this moment, she was awe inspiring. Solina smiled warmly to her friend, glad that they would be together though this. Zaya quietly took her place next to Solina, Zaya’s mother taking a place amongst the crowd, though close to the dais. Deva was the final woman being led to the dais for the rite. Deva was a quiet, unassuming woman in day to day life, but Solina and Zaya both knew she could be a snake. While she too wore the white silk dress and was barefooted, her dress contained no color. Instead, the fibers were woven in such a way that the threads caught the light differently, offering mere ghosts of flowers only to those who paid attention. Deva was brought in by her aunt, as her mother was gone and she had no sisters, being born in a family of males. 


“The time has come,” Eissa’s voice suddenly carried over the crowd, “for us to begin the rite. It as been since Quella was our guide. Meldir has shown us that he is in need of a consort. A woman born of the earth, and blessed by her spirit, to carry new life. This is an honor given rarely, and with great responsibility.” Eissa set three clear crystal bowls at the feet of the young women. “Water is the source of life. This water was kissed by the full moon that followed Meldir’s sun.” The older woman then handed each of the women before her a small, sharpened stone. In a much quieter tone, she instructed them how to cut their palms. “You must be the one to spill your own blood. Enough to color the water, but please do not harm yourselves.” Eissa stood to the side and nodded for the trio to cut themselves and allow the blood to drip into the bowls at their feet. The dripping was nearly inaudible, but each splash rang in Solina’s ears. She stole a quick glance at Zaya, who’s cheeks quickly lost all color as she watched her own blood swirl in the water. “Breathe Zaya, don’t look directly at it. Look for your mom!” Solina whispered to her friend, hoping to keep her from crumpling to the floor. Her attention was quickly grabbed by her mother walking back up to the women and giving them a green and yellow ball. On closer inspection, it appeared to be a large flower bud. Eissa took a deep breath before addressing the crowd once again. “The flower will be placed into the blessed water. Meldir will show us his fated bride.”


Solina lowered her flower into the water, griping the plant harder than necessary to help keep her hands from shaking. All three of the women stole nervous glances at each other and the other person’s bowl. After several heart beats later, all three flowers began to open. A large red and yellow sunflower floated on the surface. Solina’s breath caught in her throat as she saw that all of the flowers had opened. This can’t be right. No sooner had the thought came to her, a blood chilling scream ripped the silence of the temple. Deva hit her knees, hands gripping the sides of the crystal bowl. Her sunflower had opened into the largest of the three blooms and was the most vibrant, however it was now a blackened, withered shell of its existence. Eissa rushed over to help the distraught woman back to her feet and to her family. “It was suppose to be me! I prayed every day! Highest offerings when I could.” Solina looked to her friend, who was looking down at her own bowl with both sadness and relief. Confused, she looked down at what held her friend’s attention. The same black husk sank to the bottom of the bloodied water. It was then she felt the collective gasp of the village. Her own flower had not only stayed afloat, but the edges glittered gold and the water had turn perfectly clear once again. Her blood turned cold as she stared at the flower. 


'This can’t be. I don’t want this! '


Solina flinched when her mother placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. “My child. You are truly a blessing. I knew you were fated for things beyond my understanding from the time I looked upon you.” Eissa’s warm lips pressed against her temple, as if she were saying good bye. “Meldir has chosen! We must make preparations for tonight!” The crowd erupted in cheers. A celestial wedding was something to celebrate.


'Only if you are not the one being forced into a marriage you never wished for… '


Solina pasted on a smile as she stood on the dais, her mother still by her side, as everyone left the temple. Soon, it was only Solina and Eissa left in the cavernous space. “Solina.” Her mother’s voice wavered, betraying her smiling face. “Tonight, you will be taken to a tent we will have for you. The ceremony will be private, witnessed only by the Gods. You will know what to do.” “I cannot do this! Please, mother, you speak to all of the Gods. Petition Meldir to choose another, or the other celestials to persuade Meldir.” Eissa cast her eyes to her own feet and shook her head. “I cannot Solina. To do so would shame you and doubt a God that we are at mercy to.” Her mother grabbed her hands and smiled sadly to Solina. “Yours is the greatest sacrifice, but you will have the most amazing life. Meldir is a kind and fa—“ Solina yanked her hands back, her cheeks flushing with anger. “How can he be fair and kind if he forces women who do not wish to marry into the confines of a world she does not belong?” Her heels dug painfully into the floor as she spun around and marched out of the temple. 


Soon, the sun began to set. Normally Solina would be preparing for the next day while her mother cooked dinner. Instead, the house painfully quiet. Not even the crickets were beckoning the night. Much to her resistance, Solina’s face had been painted with reds, oranges, and yellows. She was told to rest for the evening, but how could one “rest” when their whole existence was going to change. Eissa came in and offered her arm to Solina. “It is time.” Solina took her mother’s arm, and she was led to one of the fallow fields where a spacious tent awaited. “This is where we part my child. Always remember, I have loved you since we were one, and will always love you, even beyond my life.” Before Solina could say a word, her mother kissed the top of her head and quickly walked away. 


Once her mother was out of sight, Solina checked her surroundings, then took off at a run towards the woods. She would not simply ‘accept her fate’. Still barefoot, the vines and roots grabbed at her skin, slowing her down. Soon she came to a small creek and paused to take a drink. Her heart was pounding in her ears, both from the running, and from fear. 'Was it even possible to run from a God?' She was willing to find out. She ran again, ignoring the burn in her lungs. Ahead, she notices a light. Maybe another village! Solina pushes her legs faster until she is sure that the muscle was going to tear away from bone. She was now leaving bloodied footprints on the ground. Her desperate flee came to a halt once she broke through the trees and saw barren fields. Crops blighted before they could produce anything of value. There were no houses near, just dead and decaying plants.

“Is this what you really want the world to become?” A voice rumbled in her ear. Solina spun around, expecting someone to be behind her. Instead, she was greeted with shadowed woods. The same voice chuckled, though there was no joy in the sound. “Did you really think you could run from a God? Or even if you could, that I would let there be zero consequence?” Realization sank into her bones as she choked back a cry. A heavy, calloused hand lay on the back of her neck possessively. “Come now, my betrothed. We have a wedding to attend.” Meldir guided her forward, back though the woods. Solina was sure she had ran for hours, yet it was only minuets before they emerged back by the tent. Many other Gods and Goddesses were waiting for them. Many Solina did not recognize readily. There was a wisp of a male standing with a book that beckoned the pair closer. 


“It has been some time since a mortal tried to escape their fate! She will keep you in line for sure Meldir!” The thinner God’s laugh came from deep within him, and Solina couldn’t help but smile at the sound. “Dry your tears beautiful one. This is only the beginning of your journey. Now, I am Eomon, the God of promises and fidelity.” He deftly procured two wreaths of wheat and placed one on the wrist of Solina and Meldir. As he wove a red ribbon though the two wreaths, he spoke in an ancient tongue. Solina could feel the magic binding her life to Meldir. For the first time, she looked up at the God. His eyes were softer than she imagined and his skin was as golden as the wheat on his wrist. He sported many scars on his arms which took Solina by surprise. 


Meldir must have noticed her studying him and gave her a mischievous grin. “There are stories to each one, my light. And we will have as long as you wish to learn them all.” His whisper tickled the top of her ear and brought up a blush. “What if I wish to never learn?” “Well then—“ Meldir was cut off by Eomon clearing his throat. “If you two do not mind, it is time for the seal.” Meldir nodded and retreived a small knife from his pants and sliced his palm. “Your turn.” When Solina hesitated, he grabbed her hand and retraced the cut already on her hand. “Do not worry Solina, daughter of the earth, for this will be the last time your blood will spill.” Solina blinked back her surprise of the sincerity in his voice. Once the knife was safely sheathed, the God of Harvest placed his bleeding palm agaisnt hers and guided their fingers to point to the ground. Their blood blended between their hands, and dripped to the ground as one. Solina watched in amazement as the dirt soaked in the blood, not leaving any evidence behind. Her fascination was abrubtly ended when Meldir laced his fingers in with hers, and used his other hand to grab her face. Forcing her to look up at him.


“And so, it is done.”

May 13, 2023 03:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

03:45 May 20, 2023

A dream come true?

Reply

Show 0 replies
04:17 May 17, 2023

This was a well written short that I enjoyed. I would be interested in reading more if you continue.

Reply

Amanda Williams
05:37 May 17, 2023

Awww thank you so much. At this point I don't think I will be continuing this, however, it's not out of the question for a future endeavors!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.