My story is entitled Ebenezer the young man from Volta Region decides to take a long way home.

Written in response to: Write a story where someone decides to take the long way home.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Creative Nonfiction Mystery

My story is entitled Ebenezer the young man from the Volta Region decides to take a long way home.


Once upon a time,Ebenezer boarded a vehicle to his hometown in the Volta Region during the celebration of the Hogbetsotso festival.

Victor and Ebenezer went home on holiday during the Hogbetsotso festival they both took a long way home to their various homes.

It was then realised that both Victor and Ebenezer travelled to the Volta Region often ,it was during their journey that they overhead almost two of the passengers planning to kill one of the other passengers in the vehicle.

So this was assumed to have actually happened as a mere accident of some sort.

Ebenezer saved his other passengers called Prince Somebody in the vehicle. It was after that then they realised that both Ebenezer and Prince Somebody were in danger from the two wicked men who continued to travel with them to the town.

Victor and the older men got out of the vehicle. It was almost realised that the rest of the passengers including both of the two men climbed almost down from the back of the vehicle.

"Be careful" , Prince Somebody whispered to Ebenezer. It is always easy to actually fall from the vehicle due to the fact that the vehicle had no doors , especially when someone pushes you.

Victor hastily left the side of the vehicle where he had been gazing into the river and then stood close to the car.

He then allowed himself to also sink into a daydream. It all seemed so safe with the two men pulling on the chain and then singing to always keep in time with what actually happens.

Also the rest of the passengers were talking and then laughing happily that their journey was almost over entirely.

They were also singing and eating in the vehicle in order to entertain themselves before they actually got to their destination in the Volta Region.



Then suddenly the man carrying a large bundle came walking unsteadily almost round the end of the lorry.

Again his face and chest were almost quiet hidden by the bundle.

It also appeared that he wanted to pass Ebenezer.

Ebenezer was very worried due to the fact that he might sustain an accident in the vehicle because the vehicle had no doors.

Most people and other passengers assumed that door of the vehicle was spoilt or damaged but that was how the vehicle was made.


During the latter time, he was known to be polite . As he was in the way he stood aside to then let the man pass by without thinking of any danger.

The size of the bundle then forced him to bend nearer to the edge of the vehicle which had no doors.

As can be noted just as the man passed by, Victor saw that there was another smaller man behind him with a stick . Victor never knew how the stick became entangled between his legs and he could not possibly regain his balance within the vehicle.

Victor then fell in the river since the vehicle was being driven at a tough speed on the road.

Also in the river he struggled alot and he nearly got himself injured.

As in the river , Victor nearly drowned ,he was rapidly downstream by the current swollen by the first early rains.

When he sank below the surface of the water ,Prince Somebody thought with some sort of horror. Ebenezer also imagined , Crocodiles will be coming upstream with this first flood water in the river.

Due to this Prince Somebody got to the river bank as soon as he could to rescue the victim.

In addition Prince Somebody knew how to swim in a breaststroke manner.

He often helps and rescues other swimmers who got drowned in the river.

As a life guard ,Prince Somebody earns his livelihood through such an occupation in order to fend for himself.


Again as earlier noted Prince Somebody was known as a lifeguard and he often swims.

As can be noted, he kept his head almost down. He also learnt how to swim at the sports club and without thinking he began to move both his arms and legs in a breaststroke to keep himself afloat in water.

He then paused to get his breath when he came up to the surface of the water again.

He noted which way the current of the river was carrying him by then.

It was by then that he almost began to swim within the direction of the river.

Prince Somebody came and saw with horror that his young companion was almost apparently being carried away by the floodwater.

He almost felt helpless and very unhappy. It was his fault that Victor almost stood in danger of death. Also he could do nothing good by jumping into the water himself , though he would willingly have done so entirely.

Prince Somebody stared and stared despairingly at the water round Victors head.

Ah! Alas ! He then saw the ripple as some sort of watching crocodile that almost dived beneath the surface of the water or the river.

Ebenezer then realised a shout of alarm that went up from the crowd. Who could possibly help Victor now.?

It was only the lifeguard who boldly came forward to rescue Victor whilst he was drowning within the river.


Finally it was noted that there was a lifeguard similar to Prince Somebody with a little motor boat who drove to the river where Victor was drowning to rescue him.

The Lifeguard seized his rifle and then kept guard over Victor until he reached the river bank.

Also by the help of his boat the lifeguard was able to rescue Victor from the river whilst he was drowning.


Lastly after Victor was rescued from the river bank ,he decided to take a long way home during the Hogbetsotso festival.

In a nut shell, Ebenezer also celebrated the Hogbetsotso festival with his family and friends from the Volta Region amidst merry making and other clean up activities.


November 06, 2022 06:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.