0 comments

Fantasy Fiction

BOOM, CRACK, SIZZLE! With each thunderous clatter, Jeremy attempts to contort his tall, lithe body into a small ball, hoping to escape the intense storm overhead. It seems to have materialized within seconds. One minute he is walking home from the movies on what has been a rather dull, uneventful day and the next this weathering rage has forced Jeremy to swiftly maneuver himself down a small ravine and take refuge under the bridge connecting the more rural land with the town square of his home village, Bilksbury.

The clouds emptying at a staggering rate, Jeremy is convinced people are above him throwing buckets of rain down and creating the wall of water beside him. It descends with such force, that dirt and grime from the surrounding ground are splashing up and pummeling him. He is sitting in the middle of the concrete, yet still being hit, each splash of the icy rain reminiscent of the small shocks he used to feel as a kid while playing the game, Operation. At least that experience was in a warm house, surrounded by friends and junk food. Today, Jeremy is shivering with dampness and moisture down to his bones while the mixed aroma of mud, algae and car exhaust permeate his nostrils to the point he is tasting it deep in his throat. Although it is 2 pm, the sky is dark and Jeremy can only see a few feet in front of him. He would have tried to enjoy the storm had the thunder and lightning not been so threatening. But nope, he is stuck here like a troll under the bridge, waiting for prey. There is no escape from this misery.

Speaking of trolls, Jeremy catches movement on his right side, but with the lack of visibility, he cannot determine if it is debris or the more frightening reality of a wild animal. The stirring continues as he grasps the truth that this is most definitely an animal…but what animal? As Jeremy hopes it is a small rodent who is more scared of him than he is of it, he sees it scurry past him with a split-second pause. The eyes, those eyes were surely red! Red and glowing! Is that possible? Jeremy is hoping he is wrong, but he prays it is gone now.

Rustling in the ground beside the bridge, Jeremy is horrified when he sees a decrepit hand or paw with long, sharp claws emerge from a hole and point at Jeremy. Is this even possible, he thinks as he searches frantically for any stick/weapon. Nothing. Taking off one of his boots, Jeremy holds it up in anticipation of battle. The creature materializes from the underground chasm and sits in just enough darkness that Jeremy cannot fully make out its form or face, but he knows this is no ordinary animal.

Jeremy lunges forward a bit to scare it off and then pushes himself back a bit more just in case the creature’s reaction is to also lunge forward in retaliation. As he does this, he makes a guttural noise in his throat and says, “Scram! Get out of here,” but the being remains. Jeremy squints to get a better idea of its form just as the thing slowly stands up…on two legs! Startled, Jeremy shouts in a panic, “What the hell are you? Please just stay away!” The beastly figure steps into the light and Jeremy’s eyes grow wider, his mouth gapes open in astonishment because what he is seeing does not exist in any real-life situations he has ever heard about.

There, in the dimly lit nook under the bridge, stood what Jeremy could only identify as what we read about in fantasy or horror books; a goblin! A wiry haired, prune-like faced critter with bony limbs, rickety fingers, scabby feet and a body covered in warts and matted fur or hair. Such a horror to sustain gawking at, yet Jeremy cannot look away. His heartbeat is deafening and his once frigid body is now covered in sweat. He feels as though he is in one of his nightmares, the kind he always wants to scream but cannot bring himself to utter any sound. The kind of bad dream in which true danger is imminent and forthcoming.

Jeremy is paralyzed with terror, but still staring with bewilderment at the expression on the goblin’s face. Although its teeth are gnarly, spiked fangs which look as though flesh could easily be shredded with one bite, the goblin looks docile and somewhat empathetic. Jeremy, still immobile in terror, watches as it slowly meanders over to him and stands less than two feet in front of him. One of those knotty hands approaches Jeremy and the creature leans forward, grabbing Jeremy’s pinky and gestures to follow. Is this how it entraps its prey? Quiet and unassuming until the moment it turns with propelled aggression? Regardless of its intent, Jeremy feels unable to resist and follows along.

Once they reach the hole in which this thing ascended, it gestures to Jeremy to drop down into what he can only surmise is its home…or lair of horror. Jeremy approaches and is puzzled to see a ladder attached to the inside. He glances once more at the goblin who nods his head in assurance and then Jeremy scrambles down and readies himself in defense, somewhat expecting this new found companion to follow and then pounce in the depths of the underground. But to Jeremy’s relief, the goblin gives a more welcoming gaze and motions for him to sit at the table. A table? Underground? This definitely must be a dream. “Am I living in a cartoon? Is Bugs Bunny arriving next to offer some tea and ask me how many lumps of sugar I want?”

As the goblin hands Jeremy a towel, he begins to absorb the true environment in which he finds himself. It is warm, cozy and astonishingly clean. Jeremy is sure he is hallucinating at this point, as his new friend seems to wait patiently for him to regain his composure and then gestures to follow him once more. He knows he should be afraid, but Jeremy consigns himself to seeing this adventure through, believing this is some thing, or someone, he can trust. In fact, he decides to call him George, which the beast either does not comprehend or is indifferent to its new moniker.

Jeremy follows George through a tunnel which is lined with wood and dim lighting. This type of construction, along with the other attributes, leads Jeremy to believe George is a hybrid of human and animal. There has been no indication of speech but this has not hindered their communication.

They continue down the earthy catacomb-like halls for several miles. No sounds from above, no other creatures in sight other than a few worms and some nasty bugs. Jeremy is suddenly aware of how peaceful this experience has been. From sheer terror in being confronted by an unidentifiable creature to journeying through a tunnel with his new friend, he is overcome with a calm he has not felt in years. Although he is sure he has no desire to live down here, he also realizes he wants his current euphoria to be a larger part of his existence.

Up ahead, a much brighter light is shining down from above. George begins to scamper a little faster, his gait more ape-like than human now. That same wrinkled and shaggy face that horrified Jeremy earlier is smiling with pride because he knows he has taken Jeremy to his destination. Those same fangs now seem less sharp and threatening. George points to the top of the hole, sun shining down with no indication of the earlier storm. There is another ladder for Jeremy to use, but before he takes hold to scale upward, he turns to his new comrade. “Thank you for all your help. Will I ever see you again?” Jeremy asks without being certain his words even make sense. George nods in the affirmative and Jeremy is ecstatic that, although there is no verbal dialogue, his goblin friend does indeed comprehend his words. He asks him how he can find him, and again, George simply points upward. Jeremy seems confused, but trusts that somehow, their paths will cross again.

The climb is a bit tedious but faster than Jeremy anticipated. Just before he steps out onto solid ground above, he turns back to take one last look at George, who is smiling and nodding in approval. Jeremy smiles, nods back and lifts himself out of the abyss. Shock and awe creep over his face as he adjusts his vision to the above ground world and discovers he is on his own property! George’s subterranean world has infiltrated directly beneath his own home? How could he have not seen any indication of this? At the moment this thought crosses his mind, Jeremy glances down from where he just emerged and realizes the entrance has disappeared. It is as if the earth healed itself and closed the “wound”. Crouching down to feel for any proof he has not been hallucinating, he sees a small, red crystal partially buried in the dirt. He pushes it and sure enough, the hole reappears and there is George, hanging halfway up the ladder and nodding again.

“I understand George, I understand,” Jeremy says with excitement. “Anytime I wish to return, I know how to find you. And return, I will. Thank you again for introducing me to a world of infinite questions and possibilities.” George touches his furry chest and seems to point to his heart, again indicating to Jeremy that he does understand. He then disappears into the blackness underground and the entrance fades once more.

Jeremy, standing in his backyard, points his face to the sunlight to bask in the warmth and comfort. He acknowledges the fulfillment he feels within after this existential experience. An event which appeared to be dreary and uncomfortable having evolved into a life-changing encounter which surely should not be real. Goblins exist? An underground world unknown to anyone else? Surely, there is time for Jeremy to learn more and question his new buddy as to how all of this is even possible, but not today. No, not today because Jeremy wishes to relish in the knowledge that his life is forever changed. The inescapable misery of a powerful storm brought him to the most peaceful place. People like to say there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but for Jeremy, the experience in that tunnel is the true light and beauty.

October 20, 2023 22:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.