0 comments

Holiday

He has a baby-face. Young and sensitive and full of emotions. A desire to be loved. New with relationships and nothing of seriousness. She’s 10 years older and has a kid. He’s barely out of high school with the world at his feet. They work together and he was her trainer. He sees her and falls. He knows it’s a dangerous game, a woman who is damaged from a domestic violence breakup up with a young son. She’s like a magnet pulling him in. Her beauty, her personality, and all the kindness she has to offer, after how wrong she’s been done. In the same token he’s been done wrong by others as well but not as severely. Damage is there for both.

She’s caring toward him and supports him. He makes his move because he wants her. He wants nothing but smiles on her face. He wants to make her dark world bright and colorful full of bliss. He fell in love with her son. There are only two problems.

She spent nine years with her sons' father and he wants her. He wants to sabotage what’s good. Using her son against her and causing unnecessary drama. Emotional attacks on her psyche and this young man would be there to comfort and dry the tears. Her sons‘ father made attempts to reclaim her and put his family back together. He wasn't going to stop trying and his mission was to break them apart. Anyway to hurt him or her. If he could hurt both it was a better game for him. He was a broken man because she had enough and he wasn't ready to let go.

She was honest with him, what he was entering into but he never expected all of it to be such a whirlwind and for him to fall so hard. They didn’t expect the relationship to be such a roller coaster but he wanted her and all that entailed.

The other is the unclosed chapter she has from an old ex that was off and on for fifteen years. They never got their chance and their hearts can’t help to want each other. He treated her good and that taste of something nostalgic just ignited the fire all over again. Burning mad and strong. No longer kids and lives of their own, she was pulled in. Her heart wanted not the kid he was but the man he became. The love that was stronger. He had a new baby and an ex-girlfriend he said he was done with. She tried letting him go. The struggle was real to truly let go. She’s not perfect. When he kept dangling promises of a life for them in her face and giving her hope, it all crashed when she learned of baby #2.

The pictures of the sonograms destroyed her because she felt played. He promised he was done having kids with his ex. He said he wanted her and not the ex which is baby mamma. Yet, this young man full of potential wants her. He had been there for all the hospital days, for all the struggles she faced. Right beside her during the hard seizures and those moments he almost lost her. He opened the car doors and reminded her chivalry wasn’t dead. She was untouched and unloved for so long and he gave her that for once. She struggled with all her abuse. She struggled with her mindset and how she was pretty much accustomed to certain ways for many years with a man who had no empathy. He remained even when it became so hard. He was there and yet this guy she wanted so bad wasn’t.

He was in a different county with his family feeding her promises. She focused on someone who couldn’t prioritize her but someone who was in front of her doing everything to capture her heart she fell silent toward. A new year is approaching and they broke up but kept trying to see if anything would work. She knows he’s a great man so she tries but her heart isn’t there. She tried to remain honest with her feelings and avoid hurting him but she failed and made mistakes. She had to grow. This was the first guy she had been within nine years. None of it was easy and there aren’t any excuses. Just the truth and knowing where she went wrong. Owning up to her wrongs and trying to make it all right.

Plans for New Years all crushed when she tells him she just can’t anymore. They were equally devastated to learn that she and her ex of fifteen years were trying to make amends and work things out while this young man was trying so hard to gain her heart. He tried hanging the galaxy for her and give her all the world had to offer because of all the abuse she had been through. She learned the hard way she was played, that the ex of fifteen years gave promises while he knocked up his ex.

She ruined what was right in front of her. New Year's Eve and this young man who tried so hard to gain her love, had shed tears for days. Felt that all the efforts were in vain. Felt crushed that he couldn’t obtain the best prize he had come across. Alone and heartbroken as everyone else is ready with cheer for the New Year. Not enough words could express how devastated and heartbroken he was because he fell for someone who deserved to be loved but she kept making poor choices. For once he felt something so strong that crippled him to the core all because of her beauty, heart and soul. A New Years' kiss with a beautiful woman and hope for a new start.

Instead, a broken man who could fill an ocean full of pain. Lives changed, hearts devastated and a rough way to begin a New Year. She never meant to cause so much hurt. The heart can’t help what it wanted and has always wanted but she learned a valuable lesson. Close the chapters before starting anew.

January 02, 2020 23:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.