4 comments

Friendship LGBTQ+

"Coffee for Rachel?"

I smiled and grabbed my cup," Thank you."

The barista smiled and turned to make her next drink. I nudged my friend and headed toward the door.

"Wait, can we sit for a bit? I have to answer this email. It's for that internship this summer," she said, frowning at her phone.

"Sure, if you can find a table."

Five minutes later, I was glancing around the small coffee shop. I had never been here before, but Grace had insisted we come, claiming it was a hidden gem on campus. Grace was typing away on her phone, eyebrows pinched together in concentration. Every single table was filled with people on laptops or laughing with a friend. No one was in line, but the people behind the counter were still buzzing around like they had forty drinks to make. The person that had given me my drink was sweeping. Another worker was wiping down the counters. Another was switching out buckets and towels.

"Ugh, this doesn't sound right. Help. Please." Grace whined and dropped her head on the table. She shoved her phone towards me.

I rolled my eyes and started reading over her draft.

"First of all, you misspelled 'dear'."

--

"Coffee for Rachel!"

"Thank you!"

The same barista smiled and handed me the cup. We had been having this exact interaction almost every day for almost a month.

"Maya, can you get more whipped cream? We're out." Her coworker said.

She nodded, shot me another smile, and disappeared into the back. I walked over to a single table and pulled out my laptop. There was an essay I needed to finish, and going back to my apartment was not an option. Not when my roommates were hellbent on drinking themselves under a table for the weekend.

So I sipped on my drink and chipped away at my essay until my first draft was done and my coffee had been replaced twice already.

"Hey, sorry to bother you. But we need to close up in about fifteen minutes."

I looked up at the barista- Maya- and checked the time.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry. I wasn't even watching the time."

"No no, it's okay. I just wanted to give you a heads up."

"Thank you. Can I get one more coffee before I go?"

"Absolutely. Same thing?"

"Please."

I got up and started to follow her to the register, but she waved me off," Don't worry about it. This one's on the house."

"What? But I can-"

"You've had three drinks already. If you're having a fourth at nine fifty at night, the least I can do is give you my shift drink."

"Your shift drink?"

"Yeah, I barely use it. Don't worry about it. I'll bring your coffee right over."

My jaw dropped for a couple seconds before I shook myself out of the shock and started putting my stuff away. Just as I zipped my bag shut, Maya set my drink on the table next to me.

"Thank you so much. Can I repay you somehow? I feel bad that I took your shift drink."

"Don't worry about it. Like I said, I barely use it. Not a huge coffee drinker. Just don't have a heart attack, okay?"

"No promises. Have a good night!" I slung my bag over my shoulder, picked up my coffee, and started toward the door.

"You too!"

I tried not to think too hard about Maya. Or about the fact that she works at a coffee shop and apparently doesn't like to drink coffee.

--

"Hey, Rachel. The usual?" Maya was already typing my order into the computer.

"Yes, please." I smiled, grabbing out my card.

She was already halfway through making my drink by the time my payment actually went through. A few seconds later, my coffee was pressed into my hand with a smile.

"So, are you a student?" Maya asked, barely leaning forward on the counter.

I glanced behind me to make sure no one was waiting in line before nodding," Yeah, I am. Hence the copious amounts of caffeine I force in my body."

Maya laughed," I may have noticed that."

"Are you a student?"

"Not anymore. I dropped out last year, but I stayed around the area because for some reason I actually enjoy working here."

"Everyone has their thing. You probably get some great stories."

"Yeah, some. Customer service always gets some crazy stories."

"Oh I know. I worked at this family owned restaurant for a few years in high school. Let me tell you, that was not a good time. I don't think customer service or the food industry is my calling."

Maya smiled as the door opened behind me. The smile dropped ever so slightly. Not enough for anyone else to notice.

"It was nice talking to you." I said, raising my cup a bit.

"You too."

I kicked myself as I walked out the door, wishing I had at least asked for her number.

--

Maya and I didn't have the chance to really talk over the next month. I always seemed to come in when it was busy or when she wasn't working. So when my class was cancelled one day because my professor was having a baby, I decided the obvious place for me to go was the coffee shop.

It wasn't busy. Only two tables were occupied. I could only see one person behind the counter, and it was definitely not Maya. Not unless she had suddenly grown eight inches and sprouted a bushy beard. The guy took my order, and I went to set up my laptop at an empty table.

"Rachel, your drink is ready."

I went to the pickup counter and grabbed my cup without a second glance.

I had two article readings and a full chemistry assignment complete before I noticed something different about my cup. With a frown, I pulled down the sleeve and felt myself smile at the short message and number.

Let's get coffee- Maya

June 05, 2021 02:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Gracie Jean
19:56 Jun 16, 2021

You're a wonderful writer, and I love how you let the dialogue carry the stories (I need to get better at that for sure). I was just wondering, does the name Maya have significance to you? I noticed that you used it in both of your stories.

Reply

Lexi Meyer
22:55 Jun 16, 2021

Thank you! There's no significance to the name. I just decided to use the same characters for both stories, and I'll probably use them in future stories as well. I like the challenge of adapting established character arcs to prompts

Reply

Gracie Jean
23:41 Jun 16, 2021

Oh, I get it now. Sorry I'm just dumb! It's a really cool idea though

Reply

Lexi Meyer
01:44 Jun 19, 2021

No don't self yourself short! That was a totally valid question. And thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.