0 comments

General

Slowly exiting the kitchen’s back door onto the deck, Emma relished the coldness of the red Popsicle and the burst of flavor that filled her mouth.  With the temperature in the high eighties, the Popsicle was melting almost before she could eat it. She was thankful that she had thought to put her auburn hair up in a high ponytail to keep it off her neck. It was her 16th birthday and her foster family had went off to town to celebrate since the family had unpacked their last box from their big move to Montana from Virginia. They were finally completely moved in. They’d asked her to go too, but wanted time to herself. She still felt every bit the outsider as the day they first took her in months ago.

She was thankful to have some time alone for once. Her foster parents hadn’t left her alone since a huge wild dog had nipped her several weeks ago. Loving animals, Emma had fed it since it had seemed friendly. Her hand still wore a bandage wrapped around where she’d been bitten. It was half finished and she’d walked down to the edge of the woods that bordered their backyard.  

Without warning, a searing hot pain shot through her body causing her to forget the Popsicle which dropped out of her hand onto the ground. After the initial wave of pain ebbed away, she felt that her entire body was crawling as if thousands of insects were running all over her. She whimpered as the agony began again and even worse this time. Feeling the urge to try to escape, Emma staggered into the wooded area. As she slowly delved farther into the shade of the trees, her cries caused birds to flee the area and she could hear the creatures native to the area running from her sounds. Biting back screams, she felt as if bones were breaking. Not knowing why, she didn’t want anyone to find her at the moment. She continued deeper onto the State Forest’s property and soon found a rushing creek. It appeared to be the perfect place to rest. After hearing that you weren’t supposed to drink water from unknown sources, she was hesitant to drink now, but her thirst was overwhelming. It’s fast moving water and the ice coldness that made her think of the nearby mountains comforted her as she scooped out a handful to gulp. Worse than before, the intensity of the pain increased to the point where Emma fell backward onto a lush grassy patch and passed out.

Moaning, Emma rolled over onto her back and tried opening her heavy eyelids. Confusion filled her eyes as she noticed that the sun had passed over and it was getting close to twilight. How long had she passed out for? Blinking and trying to wake up, she took stock of her situation. Her pain was gone. In fact, she felt great, even amazing. As she tried to turn over to stand, though, she realized that her arms and legs weren’t working right. Looking down, she yelped in shock and horror. All she saw was fur and paws! Carefully, she got up on all fours and wobbled over to the creek. Looking into the water, a massive wolf stared back at her. It was beautiful, though, with a brown coat and seemed to have auburn highlights. Sharp hazel eyes stared back from the reflection of the water. Sticking out her tongue, the wolf did the same causing her to chuckle slightly. Somehow, it was her!

Carefully, she began to practice walking around the immediate area. Once she had walking down, she really began to notice her surroundings. Ants marched with food back to their hill. Birds, high up in the tree in a nest, feeding their babies while keeping a watchful eye on her at the same time. Emma gasped as she realized the extent of what she could see. She could even see a plane that was flying miles overhead as if it was almost within reach.

 Abruptly, her focus shifted to something she heard. Rustling of leaves off to her right stirred something she couldn’t define as yet and the pull was irresistible. Instinctively knowing that she couldn’t fight it, she gave in and started running. As the wind blew through her fur, she ran faster and faster. This was exhilarating! As the noise was forgotten for the moment, Emma bounced and leaped into the air, playing like a pup. Tumbling and rolling around on the ground, she felt the dirt and leaves gather in her fur. Finally standing, she shook rid herself of them and abruptly sneezed. Laughing inwardly at herself, she looked around and saw a meadow nearby, open and inviting. With stealth that she didn’t even realize she had, she crept toward the treeline. Primal instinct told her that she wasn’t alone.  

At the edge of the meadow, Emma peered through a patch of thick underbrush into the clearing. In the center of the field laid a blanket that held several objects. With her enhanced vision, she could see that it was a pile of clothes, bottles of water, a pile of old books...and a cake sealed in a plastic container. As she scanned the area, she couldn’t see anyone around. It was then that the wind shifted and she caught a smell in the air that made her uneasy. It was as if her brain started tingling and every nerve was set on edge. She somehow knew that she was not alone. Filled with fear and uncertainty, she decided to go check out the items on the blanket. They seemed innocent enough, but she worried that it could be a trap. Cautiously, she padded toward the blanket. Once there, she heard the cry of a wolf nearby and instantly hunkered down flat on the ground waiting for what was to come next.  

Within minutes, several women dressed in comfortable looking, flowy sundresses and one muscular man dressed in shorts and tank top emerged from the trees opposite her. Behind them, a number of wolves followed them out of the woods. The people were unconcerned about the animals behind them and were solely focused on her at the moment. Emma scooted back a foot or two without standing as they reached the blanket. One of the women, beautiful with long flowing blonde hair and bright blue eyes came forward a little more than the others and slowly picked up a blanket that she hadn’t noticed.  

“You’re alright, little one,” she said softly, although Emma heard every syllable. “I’m Arora and I’m here to help you.” There was something about her voice that calmed her. With watchful eyes, she watched Arora glide toward her gracefully and place the blanket around her wolf form with only her head sticking out. Emma, still a little scared, let out a small whimper at which Arora smiled comfortingly who gave her a quick scratch behind the ears. 

“To change back to your human form, you need to focus on what you looked like before,” said the man across from her. His voice held an authority that she felt that she couldn’t disobey. Looking up at Arora, who nodded with a smile, Emma then closed her eyes and felt an odd sensation throughout her body. She heard cracking again. This time it wasn’t as painful, although it still hurt.  

When she opened her eyes this time, she glanced down to see human hands on the ground peeking out from under the blanket that Arora held closed. Emma blushed furiously as she realized that she was as naked as a newborn under the blanket. Arora handed her the pile of clothes and Emma quickly donned them under the blanket. She emerged wearing a soft sundress similar to the ones the other women were wearing. Spreading out as sentries, the wolves set up a perimeter. On the other hand, the man and women came up to sit on the blanket and motioned for her to join them. Her curiosity overrode her fear so she did as they asked.  

“I am Konyn, the leader or Alpha of the werewolf pack in this area,” the man said. “Celeste foresaw your turning.” He motioned to a woman with wild, curly brown hair and deep brown eyes. She smiled at Emma and took her turn to speak at his nod.  

“Normally, wolves are born into our pack,” she said. “It is rare for humans to transform. In a vision, I saw you bit by a Lycan, one of our ancestors who have died out millennia ago. I believe it was the Moon Spirit in Lycan form that chose you to become one of us, part of our family.”

“I’m not sure I understand what is happening,” Emma said, still confused, thinking that this may be some sort of dream or nightmare.  

“You’re now a werewolf, and a very powerful one at that,” said Arora, smiling. “You can choose to be a part of this pack if you would like. Otherwise, you’ll be considered a lone rogue and have no home or family until you finally find one that you’d like to call home if they’ll accept you. Not all packs are open and welcoming. It’s up to you.”

“Would I be a prisoner?” she asked, still scared.  

“No,” Konyn said, smiling. “You would be part of our family, our pack. We work together and live in a community not too far from here.”

“Is there a reason you don’t want to leave your old life behind?” asked Celeste. “Parents, boyfriend, friends?”

Emma stared off thoughtfully for a few moments, thinking before replying. “Not really. Both my parents were killed over a year ago. I haven’t found a place to fit in again. We’ve just moved here, so I don’t know anyone else yet.”

“Now that you’ve changed into a Lycan, no one will recognize you from before,” Celeste said. “Actually, it would put them in danger if you returned there. You aren’t human anymore and can’t live in that world still.”

“I suppose that settles it, then,” Emma said with a slight smile. “I’d be glad to join your pack if you will let me.”

Everyone smiled at her answer and then the wolves started howling, adding their opinions. Celeste put an arm around Emma’s shoulders as they gathered everything. Half the wolves led the way while the other half protected their rear. Celeste stayed close by Emma as they walked.

“I have a few other tidbits to tell you later,” she whispered in Emma’s ear. “Our little secret, okay?” Emma nodded and smiled.  

Once they made it back to a huge mansion hidden in the middle of the woods, everyone seemed to go off in their own directions. Celeste pulled Emma into her favorite room, the library, off the living room and closed the door securely behind them. Emma looked at her strangely and sat down in an overstuffed chair, waiting for an explanation.  

“You need to know that being a Lycan is slightly different that being only a werewolf,” she said softly, not wanting to be overheard. “You are going to be stronger and faster as well as have some magical powers. You need to be careful and not let everyone know all your abilities.”

“Why?”

“Our pack is one of the best packs, but we still have to deal with some that would do anything for themselves and let the pack suffer,” she said. “There are bad apples in every load, you know? If you need to confide in anyone other than me, Alpha Konyn and his mate Arora are wonderful and trustworthy. They won’t let anything or anyone use you. They are the only ones that know anything about Lycans besides me.”

Tilting her head, Emma focused on Celeste and wondered if she was being truthful. Something inside her said yes and that she’d made a new friend in the process. Emma wondered what the future would bring, but for the first time in a long while, she was actually looking forward to it.  

“Welcome home!”

August 08, 2020 02:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.