0 comments

General

It was the first day of spring. It was always Silvi’s favorite time of the year. This year, it wasn’t. She was going to be moving by the end of season and she still didn’t tell her friends. She envied her twin brother, Sterling. He got into a big fight with his friends a few months back which ended their relationship. He didn’t need to worry about people to say goodbye to. So how was she going to do it?

Silvi lied in bed, trying to think of a game plan. She needed to do it. This has to be the day. Then again she could tell them after school. She shook the thought from her head. No, she needed to tell them in person. They deserved that. She bundled up in her blankets again. Maybe she could call in sick?

Before she could hatch her 50th escape plan, her blanket wrapped around her tighter. She was trapped in her comforter. Then she was picked up and put on a shoulder.

“Come on breakfast burrito, or we are going to be late for school.” Sterling encouraged.

Silvi groaned at her brother’s perky attitude. How could he be so chipper in the mornings? He never was. Usually she had to shake him awake.

He placed her on a stool and unraveled her. He folded her comforter and placed it in the living room. He then grabbed their plates from the counter and placed them at the breakfast bar. After grabbing some juice from the fridge he takes his seat next to Silvi.

“Why are you the perky one?” Silvi grumbled as she chewed on her eggs.

“I don’t know, normally you are the ball of energy. Maybe one of us has to be the active bomb, while the other is a dud.” He shrugs as he sips on his juice.

Silvi shrugged at his logic. It did seem to fit them though. During normal circumstances, Silvi was more of a firework or sparkler. Always doing something that catches everyone’s attention. It was just her way of presenting herself. She needed everyone to notice. Sterling, on the other hand was like a land mine. He wouldn’t want you to notice him, he would stay buried under the facade of your assumptions. Then when you got close to him, the difference would be frightening. It was a weird analogy for the two of them, but that’s just how it was when the twins were in school. The land mine analogy also seemed better than comparing him to a pregnant woman or a teenage girl with unbalanced hormones.

After eating their breakfast, they ran to the bus stop. They nearly missed the bus making Silvi groan when they fell into their seats.

“You are gonna have to tell them sooner or later. I think sooner would be for the better.” Sterling offered his advice.

Silvi threw her head back before groaning.

“How am I supposed to tell my best friends that I knew since we were kindergartners that we can’t be together like we promised?” She asked her twin.

“It’s not like it was your choice. I am sure they will understand. They have known you for years, I doubt they will stop being your friends just because we are moving.” He tries to convince her.

“Oh yeah? Like how your friends that you knew for the same amount of years accepted you when you came out as bisexual?” She rhetorically asked.

“Oh wait, they didn’t accept you. They shunned you, called you a faggot, and broke your friendship because they were afraid of you developing feelings for one of them.” She answered with a scoff.

“Okay, fair point.” He admitted defeat.

Silvi slumped and leaned her head on the window. She released a sigh. She watched as the bus got closer and closer to school. The rest of the ride was quiet between the twins.

They pulled up to the school and got ready to disembark.

“I wanna get some more studying in for my tests today. It’s better to get it over with so you can enjoy the rest of spring. I hope nothing changes between the four of you. If it does then you will always have me.” Sterling attempted to comfort his sister.

She smiled and expressed her appreciation for his words before going their separate ways.

She goes around the courtyard to their normal spot. She sees two of her friends sitting together comparing their nails. Fiona was showing of her sparkling purple nails while Willow was showing off her sleek neon pink nails. Silvi looked down at her silver and black striped nails. Hopefully they wouldn’t ask for her to do their nails because Sterling did most of the work this time around.

She sat next to them on the bench and they greeted her with loud hellos. Thankfully Pearl was still missing so she didn’t have to tell them right now. They talked about homework and the tests they needed to take today. It took most of their time. Then they got into their nails. They complimented Silvi on her nails and asked her what colors she used. Before she could answer she was interrupted by an excited squeal.

“Oh my god, I love your nails!” Pearl said as she quickly got closer to get a better view.

“Did you faggot brother help you?” Jonas, Pearl’s boyfriend scoffed.

Silvi immediately scowled at him. She was sick of hearing all of the names they called Sterling. His friends were spreading loads of all kinds of defecation around school. Sterling wasn’t a faggot, the sex or gender didn’t matter to him. He was open minded, but of course others had to point and laugh at something different. Silvi grabbed her things and didn’t give him the time of day. She walked away as the bell went off.

It was the period before lunch. Pearl and Silvi had the same class. Pearl was trying to convince her to eat lunch with them. Pearl was persistent, but Silvi was as stubborn as a mule.

“No, I am not to going to have lunch with a group of people who have nothing better to do than call my brother a faggot.” She refused.

On the way to class Jonas and his friends were making faggot jokes to Sterling. He just let it fall on deaf ears, but Silvi wanted to slam their faces into the wall.

“I promise, it will just be us.” She plighted.

With no reason to decline, Silvi agreed. Pearl swore to keep her promise as they waited for the bell to ring for lunch.

Like she promised it was just the four of them during lunch. It was a quiet part of the campus since it was next to the library. She looked up at the roofs of the buildings trying to sight Sterling. He was either in the library or napping on one of the roofs since he came out. Silvi always had to personally wake him up since his ringer was normally off.

After eating, Silvi summoned as much as her courage as she could. They put their food away and talked about their next classes. Without finding a time to interrupt them, she looked up to clear her mind. Then she noticed something in the corner of her eye which was Sterling giving her a thumbs up. He mouthed the words ‘you got this’ to cheer her on. She smiled at his support and took a deep breath. It had to be now. Her courage then began to sprout to match the change of season.

“I need to tell you guys something.” She blurted out.

She got their attention immediately. The nerve began to build in her stomach, making her feel queasy.

“You don’t look too good.” Fiona commented.

“Do you need to go to the nurse?” Willow asked with concern in her voice.

“No, I’m okay. I’m just nervous.” She confessed.

“Why are you nervous?” Pearl asked.

The air was still and the group was quiet. Silvi tried to find the right words as her friends waited for her.

“My dad got transferred and we need to move.” She told them.

Their faces dropped. They didn’t utter any words. Their eyes stayed glued to Silvi at the news.

“You’re moving?” Willow asked.

Silvi nodded.

“Why can’t you just move into the dorms?” Pearl asked.

“It’s not that simple.” Silvi replied.

“Why? Your parents have the money.” Fiona questioned.

“Why would I make them spend the extra money?” Silvi asked them with her head tilted in confusion.

“To go to high school with us and graduate.” Pearl deadpanned.

“That seems a bit selfish don’t you think?” Silvi asked.

“Then be selfish.” Fiona suggested.

Silvi couldn’t believe what they were saying. Sure they tended to put themselves first, but she didn’t realize they could be this selfish.

“Why are you guys talking like that?” Silvi asked with more confusion burdening her mind.

“Because we won’t be able to stay friends if you aren’t here anymore.” Pearl deadpanned again.

“And why wouldn’t we be friends anymore?” Silvi asked in a nearly defeated voice.

“Cuz’ you’re gonna find new friends when you move and barely talk to us.” Willow stated confidently.

Hurt filled Silvi and laced her voice, “You make it sound like a fact. Like it already happened.”

The girls were quiet. They weren’t denying it. Silvi couldn’t believe them. If it was them she would have tried. Tears threatened to fall but they didn’t deserve to see her hurt.

“You’re all the same in this town.” Sterling belittled.

Silvi turned to see Sterling climbing down from the library roof. He ran to her bag and picked it up.

“You let your assumptions get the better of you.” Sterling continues.

Sterling grabs Silvi by the hand and drags her off to the library. He gives the librarian a pleading smile. She gives him a nod towards the back and he whispers his thanks. When they get to the bathroom in the back Sterling grabs Silvi’s make up cleaner wipes from her bag. Before he could start cleaning her tears already made some of it run. He cleaned her face up as she sniffled.

“Don’t worry, I bet we will find better friends at our new school.” He assured her.

“I hope so.” She snivels. “I’d be grateful for even one.” She voiced.

“As long as they are better than the people here, one doesn’t sound too bad.” He smirked at her.

They were always surrounded by a large group of friends. In the end it didn’t matter, they all were too naive and close minded. If they could only manage to find a single person who was different then it still would be a better place compared to their hometown.

March 31, 2020 05:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.