My best experience

Submitted into Contest #91 in response to: Set your story in a library, after hours.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Creative Nonfiction Inspirational

The first time I ever wandered into the library was when I was 10 years old. It was the school library. Before then, I was only used to having a small shelf with books stacked on it in my room.

On that fateful day, my teacher wasn't in class and the class was noisy. I needed some space, so I got up and decided to explore the school; because then, I wasn't the adventure type of person. I went to different hideouts until I saw a door with the label "library" on it. I pushed the door open, and what welcomed me was an experience words cannot fully explain. The high arrangements of the shelves, with lots of books neatly arranged on it. It had large windows for ventilation. The smell that enveloped me was that unique smell from books that can only be understood by experience. It was as if each book on the shelf had it's own unique smell; as though it was trying to tell it's story through its scent. I walked up to the first shelf and the first book that caught my attention was "the selection" by Kiera cass. I picked it up and sat down. Funny enough I didn't read it. I just sat there and began to think. I tend to do some serious thinking when I'm alone. What brought me out of my thought was an argument between the school librarian and a girl from a senior class.

The librarian was forcing her to open her bag for inspection, because a fellow student reported seeing her put a book in her bag without registration. The student declined the accusation and it brought about the noise. A couple of students and teachers gathered around them to inquire what was going on. This went on for some time until the head teacher collected the girl's bag and checked inside only to see a novel inside. The girl was taken away for disciplinary measures. Just this incident brought about noise in the library until it finally died down and the library went back to its normal state. After my first experience, my free time was always in the library.

I open my eyes and I'm back to my college library. I wandered when I trailed off to the past. I'm 19 years at the moment. In front of me was "paper princess" By Erin Watt. Today was an important day, because a school, organized, book exhibition was taking place and we had a special guest. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie the author of "half of a yellow sun", " Purple hibiscus ", "Americanah", "we should all be feminists", " The shivering " , e.t.c, was present. I was thrilled and excited. I always loved this author. Her books inspire me a lot, so I was so happy to see her. They were a lot of questions that came into my mind, but it was so crowded so I couldn't ask any. I so wanted to ask her what it took to become a good writer, how does she write her stories?, does it come from experience, her imagination, or she just wakes up one morning and the idea just comes. I had a lot of unanswered questions that day. The exhibition also included rising authors and their work; even children novelists. It was a sight to behold. If I was permitted I would have termed that day "world readers day".

After the exhibition that day, I still remained in the librar; because I was so engrossed in the novel I was reading. A boy of around my age walked up to me and struck up a conversation. He said, "My name is Eric, what's yours". 

I answered, " My name is promise ". 

He told me, he was a pharmacologist major and we shared our views on what we thought about the exhibition and to my utmost surprise, we had a lot in common to say. I also found out he just started reading novels recently and it struck an unforgettable fire that cannot be quenched within him. He talked about how novels expand your horizon. How it makes you see the world in a different perspective, how it draws you into another world. There was something he said that struck my attention. He said, " A good writer makes a reader that has never been to Europe or any other continent experience that continent without stepping foot into there." That really struck my attention. That means as a writer I can make someone that is crippled experience walking without actually walking. As a pharmacologist, I was surprised of how in depth his knowledge of a writer was. He then asked me if I could recommend a novel for him

I told him, "I can't just recommend any novel for you because it depends on your preferences. It's not every novel that strikes my attention that will strike yours. It wholly depends on what kind of genre you like"

He told me he liked fiction, action and romance all in one book and I recommended "the hunter games" series by Suzanne Collins. I told him that he would love it

. We were discussing and we didn't know when time flew. We finally noticed we were the only ones in the library and we sat in a blind spot. We checked the time and it was passed the library closure time. We wondered why the librarian didn't bring us to notice. I had a bad feeling about this and hurried up to leave only for us to notice that we were locked inside the library. The librarian didn't notice us. We were in shock for few seconds. Eric picked up his phone to call for aid only for him to find out that at the worst timing there was no network. I also tried but it didn't go through. I couldn't process anything. I was in a state of denial until It finally came to my notice that I would have to sleep in the library that night. 

Although at first, it was a scary experience but after some time passed I was thrilled and cool with it. It just meant I had more time with my babies (the novels I loved), so I picked up the novel I was reading and continued from where I stopped. It was a fun experience, I went back to my dorm very early in the morning. 

April 30, 2021 10:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.