0 comments

Contemporary

The stifling humidity of the Italian spring engulfed Angie like a warm bath as she dawdled after her older sister. Behind her, her newly engaged brother-in-law was enthusiastically commentating on everything he seemed to lay eyes on which only further fueled Angie's irritation. What was meant to be a fun ' congratulations for finishing university' trip with her sister had turned into an awkward third wheel situation thanks to Alex's sudden proposal to her sister the night before. While her sibling was sharing the joyful news with her mother on the hallway phone Alex had explained the situation. In his defense, he had apologised for making the trip a little awkward but he insisted that it wouldn't turn into a third wheel situation.

Angie didn't blame him, not really. The two lovebirds had been dating for over 8 years...he was practically family already and he was a good guy. Last night had been the perfect proposal, it was almost a shame it wasn't planned because she would have loved to capture it on camera. Hopefully, she could put her art skills to good use and draw the scene that was still vividly imprinted on her mind. It was the least she could do considering her double degree in Arts and Ancient Civilisations was pretty much useless in the current Australian market. Perhaps if she moved to the more art-focused rather than business-focused cultures of the world she could have a steady career...or perhaps she would just live the typical 'broke artist' lifestyle.

She certainly had been living the nomadic lifestyle over the last little while. After spending several days sleeping in airports and planes...eating cheap airline or generic fast food the comfy lounge booths and authentic Italian food of last night's supper had seemed like heaven on Earth to the three weary travelers. The balmy warm air was perfect for the Al Fresco dining restaurant, the nearby ocean waves providing the perfect ambiance as twinkling fairy lights dotted the trees lining the cobbled boulevard. His proposal over a mini gelato cake had them all crying, it was a great night and Angie found herself grinning, her irritation rapidly dissipating despite the suffocating exhaust of a passing bus as it puffed a cloud of toxic smoke in her face.

That was one of the things she didn't realise would follow her from Sydney. The pathetic driving of bus drivers and the constant exhaust of passing traffic. Despite being in what her mother described as one of the most beautiful places on Earth, while the city was certainly breathtaking the combination of jetlag, exhaust fumes, and the sudden third-wheeling to an engaged couple had Angie feeling a little down. Travelling was hard at the best of times when you were an introvert, let alone when you were a dead weight on what was now an exciting European trip for her sister and her fiance.

The fresh scent of newly ground coffee and still warm pastries had Angie snapping out of her thoughts and back into the moment. She was halfway across the world with her best friend and her future brother in law on a life-changing trip. She had always been fascinated with Ancient Civilisations...especially Ancient Rome and Ancient Greece. Even as a child she had developed an odd obsession with these cultures which ironically led her to degree selection. Now she finally had the opportunity to physically explore the worlds in which she had only read about. Sure, a few things weren't going exactly as she expected but maybe that was for the best, it was always good to stretch her comfort zones...this trip was about experiences after all. A chance to ' stretch her wings' as her Mother had described it before settling down and focusing on her career path.

Forcing a broad smile on her face she joined in on Alex's constant small talk as he started his coffee lecture, something Angie had heard at least 100 times in the last several months alone. Rolling her eyes Talia kissed Angie and her new fiancee on the cheek as she went up to the counter to order, considering she was as fluent as an Aussie could be in Greek and Italian that was probably for the best. Especially when it meant she could avoid the lecture her 'coffee snob' of a fiancee was currently engaging in.

20 minutes later Angie was tucking into an oversized mug of bitterly strong Java and a collection of pastries as she flipped through her 'eyewitness' guide to Naples whilst the happy couple next to her fake argued about what they wanted to do that day. Although she wanted to spend time with her sister, she knew that the smart thing to do was to go off on her own and leave the two lovebirds to have 'private' time for a while. Although traveling by herself was a bit of a daunting concept it's not like she was spending months away from anyone she knew...she just thought that for the rest of the day she should give them some privacy, an engagement was a big deal after all.

Tuning back into the conversation she ignored her building headache and instead continued to listen to them discuss their plans for the day. It was almost amusing how different they were yet they still seemed to fit together so perfectly. Alex's more refined loves such as galleries and museums contrasted greatly against Talia's love of adventure and spontaneity. They had decided to combine the two it seemed and take a boat tour down the Sarno river. That way, Alex still got his history kick and her sister got her adventure fix.

" As fun as that sounds I'm going to do my own little bit of exploring, I'm not really a boat person."

Angie explained as the newly engaged both looked at her in surprise. Angie fought to keep her face neutral and to not smirk, it was blatantly obvious they had both forgotten she was there. The guilty expressions and rising blushes were a dead giveaway.

" Look, I'm not really comfortable with my younger sister traveling by herself through Italy, even if it is only for a day. Do you know the types of things that happen to the vulnerable here?"

Talia's older sister protectiveness swiftly kicked in while both Alex and Angie both simultaneously rolled their eyes, at least they could agree on something.

" It's not like I'm a puppy, I'm not some helpless defenseless little girl. I know taekwondo and I've studied this area enough to know how to get around and what not to do."

Alex nodded in agreement, it was clear he just wanted alone time with Talia. This trip was basically an early honeymoon...you could practically see it in his eyes.

" You've studied Ancient Italy and Rome Angie, the new world is a much more dangerous place...welcome to the 21st century."

Angie laughed aloud at this as her sister scowled.

" The gladiators are a thing of the past sis, it's just pickpockets and angry shopkeepers now. I'll be fine I promise ok. Why don't we meet back at the hotel for a night in?"

" Yes! We will order in and have icecream...I mean Gelato and watch chick flicks just like we are meant to and Alex can either deal with it or go elsewhere."

The cheeky look her sister through at her fiancee had Alex and Angie both laughing ashe simply grunted and started discussing the history of the region...in an almost infuriating level of detail.

A short time later Angie bid her sister and Alex farewell as they went to board their ' Historical boat ride.'

" Keep your phone on at all times, text me every hour at least and enjoy yourself okay. Try not to socialise."

Angie smirked at this as Talia rolled her eyes.

" Well, at least I don't have to worry about the good ol' introvert over here socialising. Seriously though, be safe...communicate and I'll see you tonight."

As they boarded the boat straight off a touristy postcard Alex hugged Talia, muttering a low ' thanks cuz' in her ear as he followed her sister.

October 01, 2020 09:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.