6 comments

Contemporary Fiction Romance

It was a Monday morning and Jay got up in bed. She saw her husband Lal snoring near her and let him sleep. Walking out of the bedroom she looked at herself in the mirror on the dressing table nearby. She was justifiably proud of her features. She was said to be beautiful. With her dense black hair piled high on her head she looked like a well-known film star.  She knew she couldn’t waste much time at the mirror at that hour and went on to use the bathroom. She then dropped the used clothes in the washing machine and went into the kitchen. Carrying a steaming cup of tea she went to the bedroom and said “Lal it’s time you got up. Here, have your tea.”

Lal yawned, stretched and said “I haven’t come out of Sunday mood. I wish I could go back to sleep. Anyway let me have tea.”

Jay noted with concern that Lal was often complaining of tiresomeness of late. He was an engineer in an airline, and being in good health would go on duty whenever called, and stay even beyond hours when necessary. She was silent and went back with the empty cup.

Lal was soon ready in uniform and glanced at himself in the dressing table mirror. It looked to him that he had come down in weight though he looked as handsome as ever. He looked for the weighing scale but not finding it left for work.

After her husband had left, Jay dressed herself to go and teach at the school for handicapped children nearby. She had a master’s degree in commerce but had got trained to teach handicapped children. She was now disgusted with the job where even mentally handicapped were in the class and would do whatever they liked even when disciplined. She switched on a commercial TV channel and saw with satisfaction that the stocks she held were looking up. She could afford to be without the job as she had money. She then left for her 4 hour job.

Returning home she saw Lal following her. She was anxious and asked “Why have you returned? I expected you back at 8 PM.”

“I reached the airport, felt giddy and returned.”

Jay said “I know Ruby – Dr.Sen’s wife. I’ll talk to her now to get Sen to examine you.”

Despite his protests Jay spoke to Mrs.Sen requesting consultation with her husband. Jay said “I know he is a very busy man.”

Ruby said “I’ll call you back.”

The appointment was fixed for the next day when Lal and Jay were at the doctor’s clinic. After a preliminary examination Sen called for various tests which took a day more. Then he said “I don’t see anything wrong. Let me consult one other specialist and then I’ll advise you.”

That night Jay couldn’t sleep. She had a premonition that evil was stalking her. Next evening Sen called Jay and said “Lal has a rare wasting disease. He could come out of it after he takes the medication I prescribe, besides that of another doctor.”

Jay said “Lal, the time has come for you to retire. Do so. We’ve enough resources to survive.”

Lal retired and started a life stuck mostly to home except when he and his wife would go to neighbourhood eateries or coffee shops. That day when the couple were coming out of a coffee shop, a man came to Jay and asked “Aren’t you Jay?” She nodded and he said “Obviously you couldn’t recognise me. I’m.........”

In a flash her memory dawned and she said “Yes. You’re Mark the auditor”

He said with ah “Yes. I was your neighbour in the locality in which you lived.”

She was reminded of early days when Mark was a sprightly young man. In fact he had dreamt about proposing to the beauty in the next house, but they were of different castes. She had ended up marrying Lal. Mark’s family had also moved out from that neighbourhood and their families had lost contact. She knew Mark wasn’t his real name. It was a shortening of it.

Jay introduced Mark to Lal. Jay said “I suppose you’ve a family.”

Mark said “No. Jay, I live alone in a flat of my own. My address details are in my card. You can have it.” She took the card.

Jay said “We must get together some time. May be the coming weekend.”

“Sure” said Mark

Only two days later Lal took ill and 4 days later he passed away in his sleep. Mark was one of those who attended the funeral. He said “Jay, I’m sorry about what has happened.”

She explained about Lal’s illness. Mark said “Don’t hesitate to contact me for any help. Will you continue here?”

“I’ll move to my brother’s place and then decide about the future.” She paused and then said “Mark, you know I’ve a master’s degree in commerce. But I’ve been out of touch for some time. I wonder if I could work for you. I don’t need a salary.”

He said “I’m willing to take you on as a partner.”

“That could come later. Anyway thanks for saying I could join your firm.”

“Please join us at your convenience.”

A fortnight after the funeral Jay joined Mark’s firm. She was happy as her work was in the field of her specialisation.

2 months later, Mark said “Jay, my niece is getting married soon. I’m buying her 5 silk saris etc for the occasion. I need help for selection.”

“Sure I can help you.”

“If you would come with me to the Sari Palace......”

“I know Asha the lady in Sari Palace  who’s a designer and chief of sales. Shall we visit the shop this Saturday?”

“Thanks a lot. I can pick you up at your home.

”I’ll pick you up since my car hasn’t been touched in over two months.”

On Saturday Mark woke early and had his shave. It was something which he would never miss unless he was ill. Looking at himself in the mirror he felt diffident about going out with the beauty Jay. He was bald in patches and his appearance showed he was nearly 40. However he dressed himself nattily as far as he could and joined Jay in her car. She was dressed in a green sari which suited her complexion very well, and she had her abundant shoulder length hair spread over her shoulders and looked very beautiful and years younger than her real age of around 30. Looking at her Mark had a feeling he was out with someone far junior.

The sales chief Asha joined to help in the selections. She said “Jay, you take the lot. Let the would- -be bride choose what she wants. I’ll get our staff to bring back whatever is not needed. Now you and Mark can come to my room for tea.”

Mark said “Thank you very much. Let me take this opportunity to wish my client who owns Stainless Steel House opposite who is 75 today. He has been my client several years. I’ll be back and join you.”

Mark was back 15 minutes later when he saw a commotion outside the Sari Palace. There were shouts of a fire and people were rushing out. Mark saw a fire raging and there were complaints the fire engines hadn’t come in. As Mark tried to go in, there were shouts saying he was mad to go into the inferno. Jostling hostile crowds, Mark managed to reach Asha’s office which the fire had now reached. It was with considerable difficulty that  Mark could rescue Jay. He carried her out when Jay lost consciousness as the smoke was over-powering. Mark carried her to the car where she was revived by sprinkling water on her face. He drove to a nearby clinic where Jay was treated. She had burn injuries on her neck and behind her ears, and her hair was partially singed. Mark ‘s shirt had been largely burnt and the skin on his back had also burn marks.

Jay and Mark were treated appropriately and discharged. Driving home Jay said “Mark, I am now wearing a new sari I hadn’t used so far and it’s gone. I’m lucky the doctor says my burn marks won’t be visible after perhaps 10 days.”

Mark said “You won’t be disfigured. Of course when I had seen you as we were setting out you looked even better than international models. The burn marks will disappear and your luxuriant hair will surely grow again. I suppose my right ear and back will bear the mark till I’m gone.”

Jay now had call from Asha and after listening,  she said “Asha, I know the choices we made would all have been consumed in the fire.” They talked some more and then disconnected. Jay said to Mark “That was Asha and apologises for the mishap. She said she will send a selection from distributors to my place and we could choose.” She paused and then said “I don’t know how I’ll reach home half clad in this burnt outfit.”

“I’ll escort you partially covering you with the car’s plastic cover.”

“Thanks a lot. There you can come in and have a drink while I change into something presentable.”

In her apartment Jay changed her dress and served refrigerated soft drinks.

He said “You look ravishing in that knee length frock. I had always an eye for you.”

She blushed. He said “If I were to see a charming girl like you, and if a proposal was possible.......

.Will you accept me if I propose to you?”

“Try.”

He did and she said “I accept you whole heartedly.”

He got up and kissed her ardently which was returned with twice the force!

END

October 21, 2020 11:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

16:20 Nov 06, 2020

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Roxanna C Revell
21:32 Oct 28, 2020

Hello! This story has been flagged as one for me to engage with and it's always difficult to know what to say when you're not sure if English is the first language, but I know we're supposed to be constructive.... I didn't really get much feeling from this piece and there wasn't much depth or flow to the conversations. A woman had just lost her husband, had to try to move on and then almost died in a fire, before finding love again. It's obviously hard to fit in so much in a small amount of words, but I didn't really feel any of th...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
02:48 Oct 29, 2020

I feel this comment has said it all. CRITIQUE CIRCLE. And English is not our first language, so better to work on it.

Reply

16:22 Nov 06, 2020

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:50 Oct 29, 2020

THANKS.

Reply

Show 0 replies
12:51 Oct 29, 2020

THANKS.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.