A Light in the Night

Submitted into Contest #267 in response to: Write a story set against the backdrop of a storm.... view prompt

1 comment

Adventure Suspense

I collapse to my knees soggily in the mud on a steep incline in the middle of a dark and expansive forest. I can’t see much in front of me due to how dark it’s gotten, and as water rushes down the incline around me, my knees sink further into the mud with a squelch. The short dark hair atop my head drapes itself across my cheekbones, as I tilt my head down to shield my face from the army of droplets racing to the ground. The water, instead, runs from my dirty hair down my face, and collects in my beard, before dropping to the ground.

The tremendous downpour of rain is loudly crashing through the limbs of the trees surrounding me, pelting me like bullets. At this elevation, it’s cold and sharp, but I need to get higher. Flipping my soggy hair back, I tug my knees from the thick mud with a slosh and trudge on slowly through it, now with the additional weight. 

I can’t seem to hear anything over the torrential rain and thunder. Not that I would, over the sticky mud on my pant legs and leather work boots getting loudly sucked into the embankment I’ve foolishly decided to climb. 

My clothes are completely soaked through. The layers of jackets and shirts I’d thrown on had quickly gotten drenched after only a few minutes in the wilderness. I’d slipped a few of them off after the weight had slowed me down: a thicker, fur-lined jacket and long sleeved shirt. I knew I’d begin to regret the decision the higher I climbed, but it’s dangerous to be alone in the wilderness when such a storm graces your residence.

Only days ago, I’d decided to take a camping trip alone to rid my head of the stress from my office job. There had been no record of bad weather in the area in the upcoming week, so I’d leapt with the opportunity. I’d never imagined that I’d be fighting for my life in the dead of night, searching for any form of shelter or life.

I’d been prepping for nightfall, when I heard the thunder from far off, and thought I had a chance to get out of the forest before it reached the camp I’d spent an entire day hiking to, but I’d been sorely mistaken. Throwing on the few layers I’d brought, in preparation for the trek in the rain, had been my second mistake. Now, I’m scaling the side of a small mountain to get to high ground so I can search for civilization of any sort.

I glance around me but can’t see anything except for the few dark shapes and shadows of branches and logs. Right above me, the air releases its charge with resonance. The crack right after the reverberation hits a tree twenty yards to my left, engulfing it in flames. The lush forest lights up in a brilliant orange glow, and I take the opportunity to look for an easier path to high ground. To my right is a more level path, but the water rushing across the top of it has a daring strength to it. I decide I don’t have much of an option, and begin my ascent, but this time angling to the right. 

Once to the level slope, I take hold of branches as I make my way slowly to the top. The mud washing off my pants and boots are making the ground slicker with every step I take. 

Catching one foot on some dark moss disguised in the water, I lose my footing and both knees collapse to the ground hard. The branch I’m holding onto drops and I fear it will break, but to my surprise, it doesn’t. And I use it to haul myself back up out of the water. Wiping the muddy water from my face, I continue my trek up the hill. Once at the top, I release the breath I’m unknowingly holding as thunder rolls above me again. I cover my ears at the sound, then hold a hand up to my brows to view the sarea.

The top of the incline is bleak aside from a few smaller trees scattered about. I drop down to my knees out of pure exhaustion and crawl to the far edge to look down. All I can see is a dark mass of foliage. The air rushes out of my lungs in disbelief. There’s nothing. Not a single light from a town, or streetlight, or even a car. Staring into the dark void, I raise my eyes to the heavens and angrily curse at any deities who could be observing me. 

Hearing a loud cracking sound from behind me, I turn around on my hands and knees to look for any life, believing for a moment that I’d only gotten turned around. But I’m met with a dreadful sight. 

The forest rages in red and orange. Fire has engulfed the foliage for miles somehow, even in the downpour. I watch as it hungrily licks up tree after tree, devouring anything in its path.

Overcome with immediate terror, I begin to violently sob. My tears blending with the chilly rain rolling down my face, I flip onto my back on the drenched ground. Then I surrender myself to the same potentially observing deities that I so foully cursed prior to seeing the wildfire. 

After a moment, the downpour slows slightly, and I prop up onto my elbows, feeling heard as I attempt to wipe the cold rain from my face. I stare into the sky, watching dancing shadows of fire and ash cascade above me. Reaching a hand into the sky as thunder crashes behind me again, I see white light bounce from cloud to cloud as if it were the partner of the shadows dancing above me. Then they disappear. 

My hand still outstretched in the beautiful sky, I start to regain hope of escape. When I feel the air charge around me, and watch as lightning envelops my hand and arm.

September 07, 2024 16:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Cecilia Heiskary
01:01 Sep 19, 2024

Nice story

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.