0 comments

Contemporary

As I stepped off the plane, I was overwhelmed by the smell of jet fuel and the buzz of the airport around me. The journey had been long, and I felt every inch of my body weighed down by it. I trudged through the dimly lit terminal, my eyes adjusting to the shadows as I made my way to the baggage claim. It was a familiar scene, one that I had played out dozens of times before, but this time it felt different. I was coming home to a life that I had built for myself, but one that I no longer recognized.


I saw them before they saw me, my husband and children eagerly waiting with smiles that were both infectious and draining. Their faces lit up as they saw me, and my heart sank. I forced a smile on my face, but I couldn't shake the feeling of dread that washed over me. It wasn't their fault, they were innocent, but their very presence was a reminder of my failure, of my inability to be content with the life that I had built for myself.


Motherhood is not for me. It never has been, and it never will be. But here I am, a mother of two, trapped in a life that I never wanted. I try to push the thoughts away, but they keep creeping back, like a never-ending nightmare. I feel like I'm living in a surreal world where I'm forced to play a role that's not mine to play, where I'm trapped in a body and a life that doesn't belong to me.


I walked over to them, hugging my husband first and then bending down to embrace my children. They were taller than the last time I saw them, and I couldn't help but feel like I had missed so much. My son handed me a drawing that he had made while I was away, and I felt a twinge of guilt for not being there to see it happen. But it was too late now, and I had to push those thoughts away if I was going to survive the next few days.


As we drive home, I can hear my kids chattering away in the back seat. They're talking about their day; about the things they did at school and the friends they had made. But all I can hear is the endless drone of their voices, like a buzzing fly that won't go away. I can't help but feel like I'm living in a world of insects, where the voices of others are a constant hum in my ears, an unrelenting buzz that never stops.


I love my husband, I really do. But he just doesn't understand me. He's content with his life, with his job, with our family. But me? I want more. I want to travel, to see the world, to experience new things. I want to be free. It's as though he's blind to the fact that I'm suffocating, that I'm trapped in a life that I didn't choose, a life that's slowly killing me.


But instead, I'm stuck here, in this life that feels like a prison. I can feel the weight of motherhood bearing down on me, suffocating me. It's like a heavy cloak that I can never take off. I feel like I am trapped in a labyrinth of rules and expectations, unable to escape the suffocating weight of societal norms. The demands of motherhood and societal expectations make me feel like I'm not living my own life, but rather one that is predetermined for me.


As we pull into our driveway, my husband tells me that he's made my favorite meal for dinner. But even the thought of food makes my stomach turn. I'm not hungry. I'm never hungry. It's like my body knows that I'm not supposed to be here, that I'm not supposed to be a mother. The thought of nourishment seems foreign to me, as though my body is rebelling against the life that I'm living.


The kids are excited to show me the things they've made while I was gone. They've drawn pictures, made crafts, written stories. But all I can see is the mess. The chaos. The clutter. It's like their stuff is taking over our house, and there's no escape. The clutter seems to be a metaphor for my life, a chaotic mess that I can't escape, no matter how hard I try.


I try to smile, to show them that I care, but it's all so fake. They deserve better than me, a hollow shell of a person who can't even pretend to be interested in their lives. Every breath I take feels like a betrayal, a perpetuation of the charade. I'm an imposter, an unsuitable fraud playing the role of a mother, all the while acutely aware of my inadequacies. A sense of despair engulfs me, knowing that I'm failing at the one thing I never asked for - motherhood.


As my husband put the kids to bed, I settled onto our couch with a glass of wine. It was the only thing that could take the edge off, that could make me forget, if only for a little while.


But even as I drank, I couldn't escape the thoughts that swirled in my head. The longing for something more, for something different. The feeling that I was meant for something bigger than this.


I could hear my husband coming down the stairs, and I quickly put down my glass. I didn't want him to see me like this, to see how unhappy I was. But I couldn't hide it forever.


As he sat down beside me, I could feel the weight of his presence, the way he filled up the space around us. He put his arm around me, and I flinched. It was like I couldn't stand to be touched, to be reminded that I was still here.


"I missed you," he said, and I forced a smile. But inside, I was

screaming. How could he not see that I was dying here?

March 09, 2023 18:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.