Celestine meets Luciano

Submitted into Contest #264 in response to: Center your story around two people who meet at a wedding.... view prompt

5 comments

Contemporary Creative Nonfiction Drama

Clarence Roosevelt and Clementine Fitzgerald had jumped the broom. Clementine gave birth 2 years before. Named her Clare Ann Roosevelt. Clarence was happier than kids in a water balloon fight on a sizzling hot day.  In a little town called Mancini, they picked the one and only church big enough to fit a thousand people inside. Light gray and royal blue were the colors for the wedding. Clementine's hair pin curled which complimented her soft and playful features. She was a slender framed woman. Short and sweet. She wore light gray opera gloves matching her kitten heels and a royal blue ruffled dress. Clarence was a tall broad shouldered man. His royal blue with light gray trimmings on his suit jacket made him look like a superhero in his stance. Clarence's pants fell over the ankles of his loafers. The man had an identity that was stricken with masculinity and gold. Both of them looking crystal eyed at each other as Clementine walks to the altar. Clementine's sister, Celestine Roosevelt was her maid of honor and Clarence’s best friend, Teddy Franklin was his best man. The closer Clementine had gotten she noticed them two giving each other vicious looks and mouthing words to each other. She focused back on Clarence when she arrived in front of him and the ordained minister, Senior O'leary.  

“Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today in holy matrimony.” “He said in a voice that men church leaders have. “If the couple has written any vows, you may recite them.” Clarence was ready to pour his heart out. “You should've thought about that before we started fooling around!” Celestine abruptly shouted. Clarence turns to Teddy with a face scowled with confusion and Clementine's eyebrows went up in shock. She knows that Teddy was married and she was in the pews. “We should talk about this later.” “Ok?” Teddy said low and smoothly. Celestine started crying. “I'm sorry but later never seems to come.” She grabs the microphone from the minister. “ “Luciano??” I need you to come forth.” “Teddy has something he should tell you!" She'd never seen her until this very moment but knew she existed. Luciano was a short and curvy woman with a pretty killer smile and a mean backside. When she approached the altar she asked, “What's going on?” Her voice shook. Teddy looks at her remorsefully but doesn't say a word. Clementine finally spoke out. “This couldn't wait until after my wedding?” Celestine, what's wrong with you?” “Teddy and I had been having an affair.” It started 6 months after their wedding. Teddy and Luciano's marriage is a year older than Clare Ann. “And we're with child.” 2 months pregnant. Luciano took everything in but also kept her eyes on Teddy. “Tell me it's not true.”I love you.” She repeated, “Tell me it's not true.” Teddy dropped a tear but said nothing. Luciano went silent then she took her ring off and threw it at Celestine. "Congradulations, you've given him something I couldn't.” She said with a dry, lifeless voice before leaving the church. “Teddy, have you lost it?” Clarence's authoritative voice made Teddy raise his head. “Come on C, not you too?.. Clarence instantly replied, “Yes, me too. “Was everything you said to me before your marriage a lie?” “Luciano is a good woman.” “What made you do this?”

Clarence grew angrier at how Celestine and Teddy crashed his and Clementine's wedding and finding out his best friend cheated with his soon to be wife's sister. Clementine sobbed. “Did you have to use my wedding to reveal this?” Celestine walked closer to her. “I held it in long enough.” “It made me crazy.” Celestine sighed in relief. “Crazy?” “You've got that right!” Clarence yells. He tells everyone to go home. “The wedding is postponed, I need everybody to leave.” Teddy, what are you going to…” Celestine's words took a halt. “Where is he?” Like thin air, he was gone. “What were you thinking, Celestine?” Clementine was filled with rage. Clarence inputs, “He was never going to divorce Luciano for you.” He laughed to cover his anger but it was very telling.  “Luciano has class and respect like your sister.” Have you ever thought that there's a reason why you can't get your own guy? Celestine and Clementine both looked at him in awe. Before hauling off with her and the minister, Celestine locked eyes with Clementine. Hoping she'd see sympathy within them but there wasn't any. "Shame on you." Clementine felt defeated. Celestine all alone in the church. Left to reflect on what had taken place. She had made a spectacle of herself and sister's wedding all in one and had to face the possibility that Teddy went looking for Luciano. “How could I have been so selfish?” “I knew he was married but I continued to be with him.” Self-awareness settled in and she laid in the pew as tears drowned her face. 

A few minutes later, Teddy walked back into the church. He sees that it is empty so he turns to leave. “Teddy!” Celestine's voice stopped him in his footsteps. Teddy went to sit next to Celestine in the pews.” I'm so sorry I ran off.” “I really love Luciano.” “I started something with you that I shouldn't have done.” “You were a breath of fresh air from some of the hardships I was going through at the beginning of my marriage.” Clementine interrupts. “Did you find her?” “No but for my sake I want to see her when I get home.” Clementine fell apart again but felt worse than before. “I'll care for the kid.” “I just can't be with you.” “Again, I'm so sorry.” Teddy explained. He was about to depart. “Mr. Roosevelt?” Teddy stopped and stood still. “I'll make sure you won't break another woman's heart again.” “If it's the last thing I do.” Celestine said painfully. Teddy still had his back turned to her. “What would you tell our daughter?” He decided to face her after his question. Celestine answered quickly. “I tell her exactly who you are.” “When it gets older, they'll know your blatant disrespect for women.” Teddy kept eye contact with Celestine before he took one step back and walked out.

August 23, 2024 17:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Elton James
13:11 Aug 29, 2024

Critique circle :) , welcome and well done on your first submission. I would suggest breaking up the big paragraphs, personally, I find the walls of text imposing. If this nonfiction is recent, I certainly hope everyone from this story is okay! What a tragic day.

Reply

Show 0 replies
David Sweet
00:59 Aug 25, 2024

What is amazing is that this is creative nonfiction! A family story? Interesting piece to introduce yourself to Reedsy. Welcome! It's heartbreaking and tragic on its own, but even more so knowing it's a true story. I hope you continue to write. Sometimes family stories make the best basis for a story.

Reply

09:58 Aug 25, 2024

Thank you so much! The funny thing is I accidentally submitted the rough draft instead of the final 😅. Slightly embarrassed 🤭

Reply

Show 0 replies
10:02 Aug 25, 2024

In the rough draft, I ended writing the wrong woman's name close to the end. Nonetheless, it is good story

Reply

David Sweet
13:34 Aug 25, 2024

It is a very interesting story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.