0 comments

Lesbian Adventure Drama

"We have all the time in the world, Caspia. You tend to act as if you don't, but you do. You really do. I mean, honestly, what are the chances you die tomorrow? And... don't come up with actual statistics; I know you were already forming equations.

"Look, come for a stroll with me. I'm already at the cafe so we can have a drink and you can complain over some trinket of yours and we can go for a stroll. I'll bring bread for the ducks at the park. Or... no, ducks can't eat bread; it's not good for them. What do ducks eat? Eh.

"Back on the drinks and stroll's topic. You're so in your head all of the time, with all those little math problems and wondering, 'What happens if I do this.' then, 'Oh, this, this, and this will happen. I probably shouldn't do that then. When maybe what you need to do is, instead of actually thinking things through, maybe you should just do it.

"So meet me at James' cafe. I'll get you a drink, and you can talk about whatever you want. But breaks are important, even if you deny it for 'scientific reasons.'

"...Lettuce! Oh, perfect, I have a bag of lettuce I've been needing to get rid of to give it to the ducks! Ducks like lettuce. I think they do? More than bread, at least.

"See you at James'!"

I furrow my brow as I begin to wake. I look to my left, my jaw tightening at the sight of the empty space on the bed beside me. It is always worse now, a year after it happened. I did well to avoid thinking about what happened, but sometimes… sometimes on the very autumn day it happened, it was hard to not think about it. With a heavy sigh, I sit up, rubbing my eyes as I yawn. I look over my shoulder at the empty space. It took me months to get the courage to sleep here again. I remember the tinge of regret as I moved the blanket from how she had when she woke up that morning. 

Ah, look who’s finally stepped away from those trinkets,” Eden says, leaning back in her chair as she smiles at me. She had wavy black hair and dusky skin. She wore a buttoned-up green blouse with paint stains and a pair of dark brown trousers, also paint-stained. She tilts her head as she looks at me, her eyes, which always seem to copy the moon’s current lunar phase. Her eyes were two crescent moons as she looked at me with that Eden smile of hers. “You don’t have anything in your pockets, right?”

“Really, Eden?” I say, raising my eyebrow.

“I was just clarifying, Cas,” She says with a chuckle, raising her hands to surrender. “Ay! James! Espresso?” 

James merely raises his eyebrow as he walks over. 

“If you take any longer, I’ll need it in an IV,” She says, holding her wrists out dramatically.

I smile softly, glancing at James. He had unruly dirty blond hair and wore a gray beanie. He wore a denim jacket, a gray shirt beneath it, and jeans. “I don’t know how you deal with her,” James says. 

I chuckle softly, which gets an offended look from Eden.

“How many shots?” James asks.

“Three,” 

“And how many did you have at breakfast?”

“Three.”

“And lunch?”

“Two.”

“So you’ve nearly had eight shots of espresso?”

“Around, yeah.”

James scoffs, glancing at me. “Alright,” He says. “Do you want anything?”

“Just the usual.”

James nods before walking away.

It was an average day today. Though, with how the clouds were beginning to look, I wouldn’t be surprised if we had rain over the weekend. A sorrow burns in my chest at the mere thought of rain. Eden always loved the rain, I thought as I walked. As I walked, I noticed a small movement that made me glance. I frown, watching as a puppy looks up at me. It looked like one of those fluffy Burmese mountain dogs, the type you’d take snowboarding or camping. The thought of leaving it crossed my mind. It’s been out here for this long; surely it’d be fine. But those dark brown eyes. How could I just leave it here on the side of the road with no food, no water, and the looming rain clouds above? I glance around myself. There’s nobody who seems to be searching for a long pet. I sigh. I don’t need a dog. I don't want a dog. I don’t even have food, a leash, or anything for this dog. I scowl, kneeling in front of the ground. It whimpers, baring its teeth, though I couldn’t imagine this poor pup biting. No collar. Of course not. I sigh heavily, standing up once more. “C’mon,” I say, stepping away, hoping it may follow.

The pup’s head tilts as she looks at me before barking and following excitedly. She did well to keep close.

“Here, you go,” James says, setting two mugs on the table.

Eden looks at hers and frowns. “This is hot chocolate,” She says, looking up at James.

James smiled kindly. “I’m not killing you with espresso, and given the fact you have a bag of lettuce, I don’t think Caspia here wants to chase you,” James insists, “Besides, it’s cold outside today.”

Eden opens her mouth to argue, but James doesn’t hesitate to walk away. “Can you believe him?” She says.

I smile and nod. “I almost told him to do that; yes, Eden, I can believe him,” I admit with a soft chuckle.

Eden pouts but takes a sip of the drink. “Okay, so, what was I walking about?” She says.

“The monsters?” I say.

“Right… right, yeah.” Eden’s gaze saddened as she looked down at the mug that rested in her hands. “I keep seeing them. More often, now. They don’t do anything, not yet, but… I don’t want them to.”

I tilt my head. “Do you see any right now?” I ask.

Eden glances around the cafe. She shakes her head. “And you don’t think I’m absolutely bonkers?” She asks.

“Eden?”

“Yes?”

“I’m immortal, remember?”

“Yes, yeah, I remember,” She says with a nod. “I just… Do you see them? Ever?”

I sigh, nodding. “Occasionally. They don’t ever bother me; it’s like seeing pigeons, really. They're just there,” I admit, looking down at the tea with a flowery scent.

Eden sighs. “So… you think it’ll be alright? I’ll just get used to it?” She asks.

I nod. At least, that’s how it worked with me? I just sort of got used to it.

“Hey, Cas,” James says, offering a kind smile. “Rough morning?” He’s already sliding a mug to me as he leans on the counter.

I nod, looking at the mug. My usual. “Did you put something in it?” I ask. I wasn’t sure if I did or didn’t want that.

James sighs. “Just something to keep you going, is all,” James says, “Doubt you’ll notice.”

I sigh, sitting down on the stool.

The small pup barks, causing James to look at it. 

“What’s with the pup?” He asks.

“She’s been following me all the way here,” I say, lifting the mug to my lips. “A stray, I’m probably gonna just drop it off at the pound or something.”

James glances at me before leaning back and sighing. 

“How’re you doing?” I ask, sitting up as I look at James.

He shrugs, rubbing his eyes. “Haven’t slept, that’s for sure. Can barely remember what it’s like to sleep through the night,” He admits.

I smile, nodding. Neither do I. I glance at the small pup. She’s napping on the tile floor beneath the counter and beneath my feet. Eden loved dogs, especially puppies.

We’d fed the ducks at the park, and I’d been walking Eden back to her place. She’d been talking about this new friend she made at the library. A normal human who was tempted to try some type of magic, nature magic most likely. I glanced over my shoulder, watching the large hound that had eyes all across its body. It was scratching at the door, clearly attempting to enter the building. Whoever owned that building would have a lovely surprise tomorrow morning. I look back at Eden as she talks, unbothered. 

“Have you ever made recordings?” Eden asks, looking at me.

I shrug, shaking my head. “No. Do you mean, like, voice recordings?” I ask.

She nods. “Yeah. I was thinking of doing that. Sorta like a diary?” She explains. “I don’t know, it’s stupid.”

I shrug once more. “Do it. No harm in it, right?” I say.

Eden smiles and nods. “I guess you have a point,” She says, looking back in front of us. 

I couldn’t stop by the pound on my way back home. I hadn’t even thought of it, actually. I looked at a box that sat next to the door. It was all of Eden’s belongings after she’d been missing for a few months, somewhere closer to six; her stuff just got dropped off here. I hadn’t touched, unsure of what to do. But now I was staring at one box in particular that had an envelope atop it with my name. I swallow and pick up the yellow envelope. I’d avoided this for years. What if what I needed was just in the envelope? I hesitate before tearing open the paper. Within is a letter. 

Dear, Caspia. 

I’m sure you’re reading this, wondering where I’ve gone. I can’t even tell you, because I don’t know when you’ve opened this, if it’s days, months, years? Doesn’t matter. All that matters if you've opened it. 

In the box is a notebook. This notebook will help you find me because… because I think something will happen quite soon. And I know I can’t do it alone, but I know I don’t have enough time to tell you why. So please forgive me for disappearing, and please, Caspia, find me again.’

I stared at the words for a long while before looking at the box it sat atop. I’m going to find Eden. I will find her if it’s the last thing I ever do.

January 26, 2024 21:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.