1 comment

Contemporary Fiction Gay

The moment she popped out of her mother’s womb, she was destined to be a superstar. Or so the family thought. Her father was an accomplished concert pianist, and her mother sang opera at the Met. Her grandfather had been the composer for the stars and her grandmother, an accomplished actress. How could she not make her mark in the arts. Even her name Star screamed success. She was an adorable baby with blonde hair and blue eyes. As she grew her beauty only increased. She reached puberty earlier than most of her peers and was a fashion model by age 13. Her mother enrolled her in acting school, and she took singing lessons at a local conservatory. Star played the role set out for her by her parents willingly. She did have talent, but her passion was reading and science, especially genetics. While other kids were reading Fantasy and Romance novels, she read Darwin and Mendel. Her parents made sure she was well versed in Shakespeare, Chekhov and Strindberg. However, Star always made sure she had a science text or journal sitting next to her novels or plays. She excelled in sciences at school and of course aced the arts. She was truly a renaissance woman.

Her mother, Zelda, was also determined that Star would marry well. After Star turned 18, Zelda was constantly setting her up with eligible men, mostly from upper class families. Ironically, she preferred doctors and lawyers and purposely avoided actors and artists.

“Artists like us need balance in our lives. You should avoid getting involved with other artists.” Zelda would say to Star. When Star would roll her eyes and remind her mother of the irony of her statement, Zelda would laugh and say: “I just got lucky. I’m the exception to the rule. It will be hard to find another man like your father.

Star would just smile and nod. She knew she’d be going in a different direction anyway. From an early age, she didn’t have much use for boys. Most boys thought she was stuck up or aloof. Star just thought she was too immersed in her studies, acting and singing. During dates, she was elusive and wanted nothing to do with sex. At age eighteen, she was still a virgin. She was too busy for such nonsense and did not seem to have much of a libido. Her mother was disappointed in her lack of interest but thought she just hadn’t met the right boy or man. Her father, Nick, had a more laissez faire attitude. He encouraged Zelda to let Star follow her own path and make her own choices. He didn’t believe in this destiny bullshit and insisted that Star was two multidimensional to fit any one category. He suspected that her lack of interest in dating might signify more than her busy lifestyle.

Star was receiving notoriety for her roles in both school and small theaters. She was particularly praised for her singing in cabarets although her performance in Hot Cat on a Tin Roof drew rave reviews. Despite her busy extracurricular career, she managed to be valedictorian of her high school. She had already published two papers in the Journal of Genetic and Genomics based on research she had done with one of her science teachers.

Still, Zelda insisted on directing Star’s education and dating life. She helped her fill out applications to Julliard, Berklee School of Music and New England School Conservatory. Star, in turn filled out applications to MIT, Harvard, John Hopkins, University of California, Davis and Stanford. Her mother thought it was a waste of time and talent. Soon the scholarship offers began to roll in. They included all the schools to which she had applied as well as five or six others. Mother and daughter were thrilled but for different reasons. Star really liked UC Davis’s genetics program and their medical school. She wanted to pursue an advanced degree in genetics and possibly go on to pursue a medical degree. Zelda had a different idea. She couldn’t see Star turning down Julliard or Berklee School of music. They were a once in a lifetime opportunity. She herself never had the formal training those schools could offer. What was this nonsense about genetics anyway? It led to an epic confrontation.

Star returned from a rehearsal at a local theater and found her mother waiting for her in the living room. They lived in an old Victorian style house in New England. The house was surrounded by plantain lilies and mayflowers and their fragrance permeated every room. Zelda sat on a sofa and had a letter in her hand as Star entered. Zelda just glowed. She jumped up and hugged Star, with the letter still in her hand.

“What’s up mom?” Star pulled back and looked at her mother’s face.

Julliard has accepted you and you start in September!”

“What do you mean? I haven’t responded to any college yet.”

“I took the liberty of accepting Julliard for you. My source told me that their slots were filling up quickly. I didn’t want you to miss out on the opportunity of a lifetime.”

Star’s jaw dropped and her face reddened. “What do you mean? You accepted for me? That’s totally out of line!”

“Oh honey, I think I know what’s best for you.”

Star took a step back and in a moment of rage shouted; “Fuck you!”

Zelda’s face blanched, she took a step towards Star and slapped her face. Star had never sworn at her before or been defiant. “Don’t you ever talk to me like that.”

Star still in a rage thrust out her middle finger to her mother and said: “How dare you treat me like a child and try to control my life.”

Nick came running out of his study when he heard the ruckus. He stepped between the two women, putting a hand on each of their chests. At six foot six, he towered over both of them. He turned his head, first to his wife and then to his daughter.

“What is this all about? I’ve never seen you two in such a state. It can’t be all that bad.”

Star was in tears. She had never had a confrontation with her mother before. It was a long time coming. She hugged her father as she answered. “She’s trying to control my life as she always has. I’ve had enough. I want to go to the school of my choice and follow the path I choose. Not the one, she has chosen for me.”

Nick nodded. “Okay, sounds reasonable. Your mother and I just want you to be happy.”

Zelda shook her head before interjecting: “She’s too young to know what’s best for herself.”

Star threw up her hands. “See what did I tell you? She accepted Julliard for me without asking my permission.”

Nick turned to Zelda and asked: “Is that true?”

“Well yes, the slots were filling quickly, and I didn’t want her to lose her place.”

Nick shook his head and addressed his wife: “I see your reasoning, but you should have consulted Star first. She is eighteen and a very responsible adult. Star, your mother only wants what’s best for you even if she is a little misguided.”

Star pursed her lips and turned to leave the room but not before saying: “I disagree. She only wants what’s best for her.”

***

Star accepted the scholarship to UC Davis and moved to California. She was estranged from her mother, but her father texted and E-mailed her regularly. Her main focus was her science studies, but she did take one English literature course and joined the college drama club. She had no time for fraternities but had a wide circle of friends, mostly science nerds. One friend in particular was a constant companion, especially when they attended plays or visited science museums. Jennifer was another New Englander from an upper crust family. Like Star, she had won a full scholarship and was a beauty in her own right. A statuesque olive-skinned brunette she was of Greek origin. Her parents were both doctors and grandparents were immigrants from Greece. Like Star she had countless suitors but remained aloof and disinterested. Her passion for her studies, especially genetics was all consuming or so it seemed. The girls became study partners and were often seen sitting at local restaurants and cafes together. After a few months, they rented a loft together. Rumors began to surface about the nature of their relationship. Neither of them would confirm that they were a ‘couple’. However, when they returned from Europe after their first summer break, they were often seen holding hands and walking arm in arm in public.

Both excelled in their studies and were accepted to the PHD program in genetics at UC Davis. They collaborated in many research projects and garnered praise and notoriety in the genetics community. Star met Jennifer’s parent who seemed to accept her relationship with their daughter. However, she was still estranged from her mother and hadn’t seen her father in over a year. When Jennifer and she decided to marry, she phoned her father. Not knowing what to expect, she was extremely anxious.

“Hi Dad! I have exciting news.”

“Hi sweetheart! Have you won the Nobel prize yet?”

“No even better, Jennifer and I are getting married.”

“Oh honey, I’m happy for you.”

“That’s it? You’re not shocked or disappointed?”

“If you love her and she makes you happy, that’s all that counts. From what you tell me she’s brilliant, beautiful and a good person. What more could a parent want for the daughter?”

“You’re not shocked that I’m gay? I wasn’t aware it myself until I met Jennifer.”

“Look, your uncle Benny came out when he was in his forties, and I suspect that your grandfather had many gay affairs after leaving your grandmother. In those days, everything was so hush, hush. I always knew that there was a chance that it was your destiny, genetic or otherwise.  Your lack of interest in dating and men made it seem more probable. In any case I’m happy for you and look forward to meeting Jennifer.”

“Thanks Dad. What about Mom?”

“She’s going to be a hard sell. You’ve ruined her vison of your professional destiny and now your matrimonial one. She’s coming to grips with the fact that your destiny has always been to be a brilliant scientist. Now she will have to grapple with the fact that you are fulfilling your destiny of being happily married but not to a rich professional male. She loves you. Give her time, she’ll accept your choices. I’ll work on her.”

“Dad, you’re the greatest. We’ll be getting married in California. It will be a small wedding, but I’d love you to come and Mom if she wants to.”

“I wouldn’t miss it for the world!”

***

Jennifer and Star completed their PHDs and stayed at UC Davis as genetic researchers and professors. Their research was cutting edge and helped find cures for many genetic diseases. They would eventually become as famous as other married collaborators such as Pierre and Marie Currie. They waited a year after completing their program before getting married. The wedding was held on campus and was attended by friends, and both set of parents. To Star’s surprise her mother accompanied her father and seemed accepting of her choices. They were able to heal their rift over the years. In fact, Zelda often bragged to her friends about her gifted daughter and her daughter’s brilliant partner. “Their destiny was to find cures for obscure diseases and make the world a better place.”

July 21, 2024 19:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Joseph Ellis
21:36 Jul 29, 2024

Really enjoyed this character study you've written Rudy: both the drama and the mostly-good vibes.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.