Tusks and Daggers Part Twelve: A Dinner among Friends

Written in response to: Write a story where a character’s life completely changes over the course of a meal.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Friendship

The chilly morning air rushed around my face, Mina smiling as we flew towards the ocean. Today was going to be our day, a much needed break from the adventure. It felt like the old times where we played all of the time, the two of us basically inseparable. Flipping upside down, she let me fall from the sky. Air rushed around me, my hair flying straight up. We used to play this game all of the time, Viktor nearly having a heart attack every single time. Catching me at the last minute, a crooked grin danced across my face. Hanging on tightly, she drifted down to a lush green island. Sand flew up into a cloud, miniature dragons lined up in front of us. A rainbow of scales shimmered in the morning sun, an excited glint in Mina’s eye worried me.  The red one in the front passed me a rainbow stone on a golden chain, the metal feeling cold around my neck as I slipped it over my head.

“Can you understand me now?” Mina asked excitedly, jumping up and down. “I hope you can.” Her voice was sweet as sugar, my body crashing into the sand. Childlike brightened my eyes, a crooked grin dancing across my face. I had always dreamed of this day, hoping she would talk to me at some point like Mina could talk to her. Struggling to my feet, the red dragon helped me up. His golden eyes shimmered with excitement, a raw red fish flopping around in his claws. Offering me the fish, a nervous smile dimmed my face. Accepting his gift graciously, the wet scales nauseated me slightly. Confusion twisted my face, my green dress fluttering in the ocean breeze. Mixed emotions flashed in my brain, unsure of what to do in this situation. Say something, I yelled at myself.

“Is this a stone that allows me to understand you?” I queried nervously, all of the little dragons running up to me. “I can’t thank you enough for the gift, but would you be offended if I cooked it. I can prepare a meal for you guys if you wish.” Mina nudged my shoulders, it still felt a little too early for fish. The dragons all touched me, feeling the wool of my dress. Golden eyes stared up at me, excited grins smiling up at me. They reminded me of a sea of children, a couple of them poking my boots.

“Indeed.” A deep voice rumbled from the throat of the red dragon, the red dragon coming to the front of the crowd. “I am King Scarlet, ruler of the island of the dragons. Anything you want, my guys will get it. Perhaps your cooked fish is delicious, I would be willing to try it out.” A row of sharp teeth flashed in the morning sun, my anxiety melted away. Shock widened my eyes, his red scales brushed up against me. Taking the fish from my hands, he tossed it to a couple light blue dragons. The scales felt smooth but rough at the same time, grains of salt shimmering off on their scales.

“This is so awesome.” I squealed happily, hugging Mina’s snout. “I can’t wait to tell Boran and the other’s.” My face fell as she shook her head, her rough tongue licking the side of my face. Crossing my hands, her eyes bore into mine. Guilt dimmed her eyes, a puff of black smoke twirling from her nostrils. 

“We have to keep the island a secret or all the work King Scarlet has done would be worthless.” She spoke softly, so no one else could hear. “You can keep the necklace to keep talking to me.” A sad thought flashed in my head, tears welling up in my eyes. No, don’t ruin the moment for the two of us. What if she wanted to stay with them, and leave all of us behind. A throat clearing snatched me out of my inner thoughts, Scarlet held a golden woven basket of fish behind him. His tiny wings fluttered with joy, a polite smile dimming my face. Taking the basket, he shot me an appreciative grin. Following him, golden eyes watched us in the bushes. Baby dragons crossed the paths, their mothers chasing after them. My breath hitched at the sight of crystal clear water cascading down a gray wall of rocks, water dragons peeking their white heads out of the water. Light blue eyes glittered with excitement, water shooting from their nostrils. Guilt ate at me, wondering if this would be a better home for Mina. A couple of shadows blocked the sun, dragons twice her size flying over us. Gasping in wonder, Scarlet poked my arm. 

“Can I show you something even better?” He promised pridefully, motioning for Mina to take me to the top of the waterfall. What could be more amazing than the freedom of the dragons all just living life simply. Lifting me up by her paw, she placed me on her back. Joy rushed through me, the mist from the waterfall ticking my skin. The trees leaned back as she landed on the top of the waterfall, Mina lowering me gently to the ground. My jaw dropped to the ground, a magical sight amazing me. Dragons of all types and colors played by the water, the bigger ones flying above me.  White clouds floated aimlessly in the blue sky, the salty air relaxing my muscles. The basket was still in my hands, nothing but the playful roars of the dragons filling up the hot summer air. Turning to Scarlet, he was gone. Mina laid down next to me, a crooked grin making my heart melt.  

“Do you want to stay here?” I inquired weakly, praying that she would say no. “You can if you w-” Her black claw on my head stopped me mid sentence, her snout rubbing up against me. Petting her black scales, her eyes meeting mine in a loving gaze. 

“Why would I want to leave you?” She mused playfully, drawing in the dirt beneath us. “We have been together since I was born. Yeah, this is nice but I am your pet in a sort of way.” Apprehension burned in her eyes, this was her only chance of having a family. Biting my lip, this wasn’t really fair for her. Tears welled up in my eyes, her black claw wiping it away. The teardrop raced down her black claw, crashing to the dirt. Her lips parted to speak, the proper words milling about in her brain. We were both new to this whole talking game, both of us adjusting slowly.  A bell rang out, the dragons rushing to the water. Mina placed me on her back, her wings unfolding majestically. Leaping off the cliff, warm air lashed at my face. Spinning around in the air, she flipped upside down. Falling off her back, the guilt gnawed at me again. Smooth black scales scratched my arms as I landed on her back, her eyes dimming at the sight of me. Landing gracefully, dirt crunched as I landed on the loose dirt by the river. King Scarlet presented me with a plate of burnt fish, my appetite fading away. The charred scales smoked dangerously, everyone else swallowing fish whole. A small gasp of pain tumbled from my lips, my fingerprints burning off as I opened the fish with my bare hands. Surprise widened my eyes, the white fluffy meat inside was cooked to perfection. Mina nudged my shoulders, a black heart made of smoke coming from her nostrils. My heart fluttered, Scarlet sitting down next to me.  

“She already told me that she wants to stay by your side.” He explained calmly, disappointment dimming his eyes. “I get it. We would all love to have a human companion, but we had to come here because they hunted us. They stole all of our land, trapping us to this tiny island. Please keep it a secret for us, I just want us to be safe. You can keep the rock around your neck, and when she wants a mate you two can come right back. She is still young, so we have a couple of male dragons waiting for their brides.” Smiling warmly to myself, Mina rolled her eyes. I wanted to help them, but I didn't know how. One day I will help them out, just not today. This poor dragon king was just trying to find a bride for his own companions, the guilt easing slightly.  

“Shut up, you old bag of scales.” Mina joked lightly, swallowing another fish whole. “I don’t want that yet. I just want to hang out with my master. Although, I might take you up on that offer in the near future. That is if he is willing to cross dimensions. “ The two of them snorted, all of the dragons laughing with them. Glancing around, this energy felt as warm as it was back home.  The sense of community made me miss home, my hands falling to my stomach. A loud growl erupted in the awkward silence, all of them turning towards me. Smiling nervously, my finger pinched out a large chunk of fish. The white meat melted in my mouth, shooting them a thumbs up.  The day passed with speed, the little dragons playing with us. The moon was beginning to rise, the stars beginning to twinkle in the sky. Today was so much fun, the two of us really needed it. Sadness dimmed my eyes when it was time to go, the dragons loading up a bunch of smoked fish onto Mina's back. King Scarlet bowed towards me, his tail wagging excitedly. A wide grin melted my fears away, his claw tracing my cheek. Tears welled up in my eyes, part of me wanted to stay. The baby dragons protested, all of them hugging my legs. A soft blush rose to my cheeks, an idea striking me. Snapping my finger, blue roses drifted aimlessly. The babies picked up the roses, giggles tumbling from their snouts.

“You are welcome here anytime, my lovely Earth child.” He promised earnestly, kissing me on my cheeks. “I can’t wait to have another meal with you again. This isn’t goodbye, but my way of saying see you later. So don’t be a stranger, my friend.” Kissing the top of his head, I swear that I saw a soft blush rise to his cheeks. Hopping on her back, everyone gasped as she unfolded her wings. Taking off, they all waved. Hugging her neck tightly, my lips parted to ask her one last time. Before I could speak, a puff of black smoke curled out of her nostrils. 

“I promised to stay by your side no matter what.” She promised lovingly, her tail wagging. “Besides, I have options now. So, don’t you worry about me. My mother had me and raised me alone for just a moment. However, in that short amount of time, I learned loads from her. I bet right now you want to hold her fang right now.” A crooked grin danced across my face, tears of joy streaming down my cheeks.  

“You know me so well, Mina.” I chirped cheerfully, the moonlight reflecting on the dark ocean water. “I am so happy you chose me, and didn’t shy away.  I promise to find you a husband after all of this. Is that permissible?” Chuckling to herself, she reminded me of her mother. Resting my head on her neck, a deep purr rumbled in my throat. Any doubt was erased, the warmth of her body melting my heart. Thank you Mina for always sticking by me. My life would be a lot less exciting without you. 

“You’re welcome.” She purred softly, her tail wagging again. “So please don’t worry about me. We girls have to stick together in this crazy world.” Sighing deeply to myself, she shot me a devious grin as her tail poked me in the back of my neck. Melting into her body, this felt amazing gaining a new friend in my crazy world.  Kissing her neck, she shuddered with pleasure. Blowing me a black smoke heart, I blew her a kiss right back. Looking down, my other friends waved up at me.  A warm smile brightened my face as she flew down towards them. Placing her finger on her lips, I understood. Our secret was ours, and only ours to keep.  

September 08, 2022 01:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.