4 comments

Adventure Drama Mystery

“Dear whomever it may concern,” the words are written flawlessly on the white paper. “My end is near, and I have given a lot of thought to this. As many people know, I am a billionaire. My family has not stopped bugging me about my will. I could not decide which family member would inherit my money or any of my other belongings. That is why I have decided to leave everything to whoever finds this letter. The reader of this letter will be a curious young soul. All I ask from whoever finds this - do not be selfish. You are one of a kind. Do not forget to dream. I hope your life gets brighter, and you remember who you are. If you hurt people, you will be in grave danger. Best wishes, Arthur Ainsley.”

He puts down the pen from his and puts the letter in an envelope and proceeds to rest. 

  •  

Sarah put on her heavy coat and hid her face. She hated herself. She hated how everyone treated her like garbage. She is tired of the pain and ready to end it. Sarah runs outside and looks to the abandoned mansion. That is where she planned to end everything. As she grew closer, she felt odd. Something wasn’t sitting right. She continued despite the feeling. She opened the door slowly and was astonished by what she saw. The place was not creepy at all. In fact, it looked like the inside of a castle. Curiosity got the best of her, and she continued to study her surroundings. She noticed at the end of the corridor was a room. It looked like a study. She found herself walking closer, and unable to walk away. At this point, the strange feeling in her chest grew. Her heart pounded harder and harder. She went into the study and relief overcame every fiber of her being. Sarah noticed a small envelope on the floor. Of course, she had to pick it up. She unfolded the paper from the envelope and began mumbling the writing to herself.

“Grave danger. Best wishes,” she paused. “Arthur Ainsley. Wait, isn’t that the guy who died twenty years ago?”

Sarah was confused. She wasn’t sure what had happened, but she knew it was big. She wasn’t ready to end her life anymore. She had to tell her mother. She flew out the door, down the hill, and to her house. Her mother was surprised to see her.

“What are you doing, Sarah? You should be at school!” Her mother scolded. 

Sarah was catching her breath before she answered. She didn’t know what to say, so she gave her mom the letter. 

“This is a joke. It can’t be possible.”

“I know, Mom. I don’t think it’s a joke, though. It is really happening. I found the letter. I am going to bring it to city hall.”

“Go ahead. I have to leave for work, sweetie.”

The city hall was right in front of Sarah. It was a tall white building with a bell on top. It looked more like a church than anything else.  She stepped into the building. 

“Hello, how may I help you?” a woman’s voice came from behind the desk. 

“I found a letter from Arthur Ainsley.”

“Oh, that’s weird. I don’t think he left a will, but I can get you to discuss this with the mayor.”

“Okay.”

She led me to a small room and let Sarah in. She told her to take a seat. Sarah waited approximately thirty minutes before being let into the mayor’s office. 

“Have a seat, please,” the mayor said.

-”Mr. Mayor, I found this letter, and I don’t know if it’s real or not.”

“Let me see it, please.”

Sarah quickly handed the letter over. She watched the mayor read over the letter and watched his expression change. 

“I did not realize he left a will. His family will not be happy about this. I cannot believe an eleven year old has just become a billionaire.”

“Excuse me, I am thirteen.”

“Whatever, well it looks like you are now a billionaire with a mansion.”

Sarah’s mind clicks. She cannot believe it. She decides she will use the money to her advantage.. She can gain friends this way! 

I don’t have to be alone anymore! I can finally have friends! I don’t have to hate myself!

Sarah quickly leaves the city hall and runs home. Her mother is still at work, so Sarah goes to her school. It’s time for her social studies class, so that’s where she heads. Everyone watches as she sits next to the most popular girl in school.

“Excuse me, freak, what are you doing sitting next to me?” Olivia scoffed.

Sarah smiles slyly, “Oh, I don’t know. Sitting next to the second richest girl in town.”

“Ha, you mean first richest girl in town.”

Sarah looks her dead in the eye, “You mean you have more money than a billionaire?” 

“There are no billionaires in town, so joke’s on you.”

“Really? Because I am.”

Olivia burst into laughter and the whole class followed her cue. Her voice turned more sarcastic and dry.

“Oh, really? You, a dirty, worthless, nobody has that much money? I don’t believe it.”

“I inherited all of Arthur Ainsley’s money and his mansion.”

“How?”

Her voice was a whisper now, “I found his will. So, how does it feel to be second to me?”

Olivia only scoffed and looked away. Then, all of the sudden, students were asking Sarah  if they could be friends. They all wanted her. Sarah realized it was only for the money and not for her. They could care less about her. Sarah decided she didn’t want any of them to be her friend. None of them actually wanted to, anyway. She couldn’t stand the thought of being alone around so many people. She thought they were disgusting, greedy pigs.

“You know what? Stop! None of you will ever see any of my money. I will not share with you guys!”

To be continued…. **PART 1 OF 2**

August 31, 2020 15:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Ariadne .
22:35 Sep 21, 2020

Wonderful story! Can't wait for the sequel! I'm glad she realized that 'fake' friends are not worth it. It's better to be alone than to have hundreds of 'friends' that care more about your money, popularity, etc than who you are. Could you please check out my stories? Thanks! ~Adrienne

Reply

Grace Jarvis
01:02 Sep 22, 2020

Yeah, and yes! I will when I can!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lynn Penny
17:59 Sep 12, 2020

This was a perfect set up for a continuation. I can't wait to see where this goes. My only advice here would to make the letter in italics and write it out as the letter, Give it some pizazz.

Reply

Grace Jarvis
20:05 Sep 12, 2020

Oh, yes, that makes sense.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.