Magic From the Sky Pt. 1

Written in response to: Write a story about an artist whose work has magical properties.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Mystery

Ansel's fingers danced along the keys of the small calliope he'd painstakingly set up in the underground bunker. His sister Valentina busied herself with the final preparations to transform the space they'd be staying in for the foreseeable future. Ansel hit a sour note and sighed inaudibly. Each passing year saw the seasonal derecho grow in length and intensity until everyone in the area was forced to take refuge underground. 

"Will you stop messing around with that doohickey and help me section off the bedding areas?" Valentina loved her brother and generally found his music amusing. However, they were in the middle of emergency preparations.

A knock at the bunker entrance set the two on high alert. Valentina shushed her brother as she inched her way to the door and opened the peephole to look out. It was just Jax. She opened the door to her childhood best friend. The woman was shorter than her and hid her curves underneath a rain poncho. Jax made her way through the door as quickly as possible with Valentina shutting it behind her. "You would not believe the weather out there. The sky is starting to spit down magic." 

"Already?" Ansel blinked until the motes of magic fluttering from Jax's poncho fizzled out. It typically rained for a couple of days before shifting to a downpour of magic. That was the final warning to take cover.

"Is your poncho still good?" Valentina asked, taking the garment's hem and shaking it out.

"So far," Jax said. She carefully shed the poncho and yelped when a spark from a magic blob caught in the lining zapped her. "I'm already over this magic storm." She leaned in and nodded toward Ansel. "How's he doing?" she whispered.

"You're off the hook now that Jax is here!" Valentina called to her brother.

"Good timing." Ansel's small smile felt timid. He turned back to the calliope.

"I think his magic sensitivity's worsening," Valentina said in low tones to her best friend as they gathered the thick curtains between them in preparation for hanging them up.

"He's not going to make it well through this magocalypse," Jax said, shaking her head. "The weather report said it will only get worse as the weekend goes on."

"We'll just have to make sure he stays inside the whole time." Valentina looped the first few hooks through the prepared holes at the top of her half of the curtain. "If we need anything before the derecho hits, one of us will just have to go out for it."

"It wouldn't hurt to stock up more. People are already in a panic. I heard that the Hanson family received a ransom note this morning," Jax shared.

"Oh my God," Valentina hurried to finish hanging the curtain, drew it, and tugged Jax out of sight. "Were the Kingstons behind it?"

"Last I heard, the Inspectors were looking into it but with the magic," Jax gestured at the door, "I'm not so sure they'll get around to it." 

"Probably not..." Valentina massaged her temples. "I swear, people..."

"That's the truth. Anyway, I came here early because I think I found someone who can help us reinforce our defenses while this lasts. If you're interested that is," Jax said, cutting her eyes to Ansel. "It wouldn't hurt."

"I'm interested," Valentina said. She didn't ask questions in case this was another instance where Jax's normal life brushed the shadier life few knew about. Quieter, she added, "It is only a matter of time."

"He's not going to like this, but if you're willing to dash through the magic shower... I can take you to the guy?" Jax suggested. It was obvious by her fretting that she had mixed emotions about this suggestion. 

"What's giving you pause?" Valentina pressed. "...This guy doesn't know you're coming to us with him in mind, does he?"

Jax wiggled her finger for Valentina to come closer. "It's Ansel's nemesis," she whispered. 

"Oh, God," Valentina groaned. She plopped down on the bed, pulling Jax down with her. There were so many problems with going to Anders that it made her head spin. "How do you even know he'll help?" She asked, plucking the most pressing thread in the tangled spool of her thoughts. Ansel was in a fragile state. It would be easy to destroy him if Anders were so inclined. Valentine pressed her lips together tightly. "...How do you know he won't do something to Ansel?"

"We don't, but he's the best there is, and if we pay him..." Jax paused. "What other option do you suggest?"

"Pay him?" Valentina bit down on a laugh. "With what money?" She shook her head. "Never mind. Perhaps he'll trade, or accept something we are capable of giving. But let's leave Ansel here."

"Just leave that to me." Jax glanced to ensure that Ansel wasn't listening on the other side of the curtain. "Trust me."

--

The building was rustic with brick walls and about five stories. It had some charm to it if one squinted right. Something from an old-timey small town that would provide a backdrop in a black-and-white movie. The shutters appeared to be waving which seemed to unsettle Valentina to some degree. "Don't be afraid," Jax whispered. "And be careful." She kept the umbrella over their heads until the two entered the building's lobby. "He's on the third floor, apartment 35C." The lobby had a mishmash of decade styles with modern paintings on the walls and mustard yellow chairs straight from the 1970s around knobby tables. By all accounts, it was hideous to the eyes. The elevator was on the fritz due to the weather which forced the two to take the stairs. The dimness of the stairwell ramped up their uneasy feelings and they were only able to exhale when they reached the door to the third floor. "Don't look so worried. This is his bailiwick," Jax assured them both.

The hallway seemed to loom ahead, growing longer rather than shorter which gave Valentina this off-balanced feeling that resulted in Jax having to take hold of her arm and steady her to prevent her from tipping over into the wall.

"Here we are." Jax knocked on the door. The sound echoed as if a scream escaped it. 

The door opened and a man appeared. He wore glasses, flecked with paint, and hair that stuck out with the appearance of just waking up. "Jax..." His eyes drifted to Valentina and he narrowed them.

"You remember Valentina Fairweather," Jax said, putting on a chipper smile. 

"She looks different with the pink spots," he said. "Come in." He moved out of the doorway but it was up to them to push the door aside to enter. 

"Anders, we were hoping this would be a civil conversation," Jax tried. The living room smelt of paint and tickled her nose. A painting was on the easel and on it was an ocean with waves that moved steadily before a pink and orange sunset. The movement made her feel seasick. 

"I've been told pink is my color," Valentina said blandly. She found herself swaying in time with the waves in Anders' painting. Realizing it, she straightened. There were rumors of people who'd changed since the advent of the magocalypse. It appeared Anders was one such person.

"I wouldn't say that," Anders said without any feeling. 

"I realize our relationship could best be described as rocky," Valentina said, plunging through her bristling response. "However, Jax brought us together, as you can provide the help we desperately need to survive the coming derecho."

Anders flicked his eyes at her and then focused his attention on removing his glasses to clean them. "I was promised the Wealth of Knowledge," he said. 

Receiving a bug-eyed look from Valentina, Jax put a hand up to prevent her friend from commenting. "And you'll have it, that I promise you. But first, you are to help us." She watched her friend mutter to herself as she made her way to the other side of the room, walking along the row of paintings that sat leaning against the walls. 

Valentina jerked to a stop when a painting caught and held her eye. The longer she looked the less certain Valentina was of what she saw. Suddenly, emotion gripped her tight and swept her away. She was mortified to discover she was openly sobbing.

Anders appeared next to her. "Catharsis of Death."

Valentina jumped at his sudden presence and her eyes widened. 

"That's the name of the painting you're looking at." Anders said.

"What did you do to her?" Jax shook her friend and backed her away from the painting. 

"The painting purges the viewer of pent-up emotions. She was repressing something," he explained.

"Of course it is," Valentina gasped through her tears. Her entire body shook from the weight of her emotions. Gradually, a feeling of peace stole over her. She squeezed the handkerchief Jax pressed into her hand. "Are you so emotionless because you spent so much time staring into this piece?" Valentina did her level best to dry her tears and tidy herself up. 

"No," Anders answered simply. He moved away from her and fetched a coat from the hall closet. He adorned himself in it. "As long as you keep your promised payment, then we have a deal." 

"It disturbs me that you visited Anders before us," Valentina said, pitching her voice for Anders to hear. The look on her face told Jax exactly what she could expect once they were alone again.

March 01, 2024 04:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.