Untitled

Submitted into Contest #30 in response to: Write a story about someone who loses their cat.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Bynx ended up in the washer when Yaelin went to do a load of darks and didn’t see her cat’s green eyes poking out of her green bra, and Bynx did not know she needed to panic and get out of the washer before it started up and the water and soap started to fill into the small compartment that got even more cramp by the second as the cat became more and more drenched from soap water covering the dirty clothes. No matter how many times Bynx screeched out for help, Yaelin couldn’t hear because her routine was to immediately jump in the shower whenever she started the washer so that she could feel just as clean as her clothes.

So Bynx meowed and screeched and tried to find air whenever she could until Yaelin could notice because she liked Yaelin since Yaelin fed her and petted her and played with her. They were good friends, and Bynx knew that Yaelin would not leave her in the washer to drown in soap water and dirty clothes on purpose.

After what seemed like eternity, Yaelin jumped out of the shower and called for Bynx since usually the cat greeted her when she got out of the shower. But Bynx was nowhere to be found. Yaelin looked in all of Bynx’s usual hiding places, under the big comfy green chair, next to her computer where it was warm, under the kitchen table, and even inside the cat climbing tree, and yet Bynx was nowhere to be found. Though Yaelin did notice a weird sound coming from the washer that she did not recognize. At first, she dismissed it as the washer possibly needing to be fixed. It was a hand-me-down washer her parents had given her when she moved out of her dorm and into her first apartment. The washer had more than likely fifteen years under its belt and motor.

But something, call it intuition or a hollow feeling that something was terribly wrong or just dumb luck, compelled Yaelin to check to look inside the washer, in which she noticed a drenched figure that looked suspiciously like her cat, Bynx. She stopped the washer’s cycle and ripped open the door, in which a flood of soap water rushed out onto the hardwood floor of her apartment and covered her feet and ankles, but Yaelin could careless as she reached for Bynx, who miraculously could still stand on her four little paws, despite feeling incredibly dizzy. 

The vet told Yaelin she was incredibly lucky. Most cats don’t make it through a round in the washer and live to meow about it, though Yaelin barely paid attention to the vet’s inappropriate joke since all she wanted to know was whether or not her best friend would pull through. The only damage Bynx suffered was being partially blinded by the soap water and developing a mild form of cataracts that would probably exacerbate as the cat grew older. 

And thus is the reason why Yaelin walks around a mile each week to the nearest creek so that she can hand wash her clothes and know that there’s no way that her cat will ever drown in the washer.



February 26, 2020 15:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.