The Lost Soul

Submitted into Contest #221 in response to: Write a story from a ghost’s point of view.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Thriller Horror

Victoria couldn’t believe that it was actually happening. She didn’t think it would actually work. She never imagined she would be able to muster enough strength to manifest herself. Practice really did make it perfect. She had been trying for such a long time to be normal again. Finally, she was able to do it.

Not sure what she wanted to do, she sat on the couch to think about it. Smiling from ear to ear, she couldn’t recall the last time she had been that happy. Her sister was going to be so happy. Victoria couldn’t wait to tell her.

Deciding to visit her sister she searched her closet for something to wear. Settling on a sundress she almost pranced her way through the front door. Breathing the fresh air again, made her smile more deeply. With an expression of profound joy, she started to take a step off the curb when she noticed her leg. She paused for a moment to notice the grass. There wasn't anything odd about it, but she just couldn’t figure it out. Resting her foot on the edge of the stoop, she tried to understand more.

Placing her foot on the ground and then returning it back to the doorstep only created more confusion. After several attempts she figured out what was different. She was fading. Now was not the time to visit her sister. She very disappointedly returned back to the house and went to bed to regain her energy. Crossing the living room, she made her way back into the corner on top of the mantel where her picture was now displayed. She stood in front of it, took a deep breath and disappeared.

“Who’s there?” a woman in sleep attire rushed into the living room looking for the commotion. Holding a baseball bat over her head an older haggard looking woman tiptoed into the room.

“Someone in here? I won’t call the cops if you reveal yourself.”

As she lightly walked around the couch to check for anything else out of place, she double checked the locks on the door. As she turned around she saw the picture of her daughter lying face down on the floor. Unnerved by the sight, she hesitated to replace it. As she picked it off the ground she flipped it over and ran her hand over the surface of the glass.

“My baby. So beautiful. I miss you. I love you.”

After shining the glass, she returned it to the end table. As a tear began rolling down her cheek, she made her way to the couch. Startled by the sound of her phone ringing she practically jumped off of the couch.

“Mom. How are you?”

“Not good. I’m hearing things. I’m seeing things. I’m paranoid.”

“Let me live with you for a little while. It’s only been a few days.”

“Fine. If you insist.”

“You need to relax. I can help take care of things.”

“What about you?”

“What about me?”

“You haven’t mourned one day. That’s not healthy.”

“I have to make sure you’re alright.”

“You need to take care of yourself too.”

“I’ll be fine.”

“Emma.”

“Margaret.”

“I don’t like when you call me by my name.”

“It’s the only way to get your attention.”

“Fair enough. You can come over and we can talk.”

“I wasn’t going to ask permission.”

The women giggled together before ending their conversation.

Victoria was elated about the fact that she could do it again. Smiling to herself, she quietly walked across the room. Wiggling her toes with every step, she giggled with amusement. Spinning like a little girl in a field of flowers she had trouble containing her excitement. She wanted to take a walk, but stopped at the door. Exhaling deeply, before placing her hand on the doorknob, she slowly reached for it and found herself easily amused when she could put it in her hand. Turning the doorknob, Victoria giggled again as she pulled the door open and stepped through it. Looking at her feet with amazement, she stepped onto the sidewalk and slowly walked toward the edge.

Pausing at the mailbox to remember which direction her sister lived, she began to wring her hands because she knew time was of the essence. Turning to her right she started to jog. Pausing in front of the neighbor’s house because she started to feel odd again. Holding her hands in front of her, she saw that she was fading. Slumping her shoulders she stood there on the verge of tears. Discouraged enough to not move, she completely vanished. Disappointed that she didn’t get to leave, she pouted as she went to rest.

Emma knocked on the door of her mom’s house and waited patiently for the door to open. Once invited in she noticed something odd about the picture on the end table.

“Mom, how did you get that picture?”

“Which one?”

“The one on the end table. Did you change her picture?”

“What do you mean?”

Turning to look she noticed the picture was different. Gasping, she turned to look at her daughter.

“She’s wearing a sundress,” Emma commented.

“Oh. That. It’s been like that for a few days. I thought you did that for me.”

“Mom. I haven’t been here in a couple of weeks. Yesterday was the first time I had been over.”

Margaret looked utterly confused as she looked at her daughter for understanding, but was taken aback when she realized Emma was just as confused as she was.

“Mom? Are you sure you’re alright? I know you’ve been under a lot of duress lately.”

On the verge of tears, Margaret realized that maybe the loss of her daughter had been playing on her mind drastically.

“I don’t know any more. As I’ve mentioned. I see things. I hear things.”

“Three more days and I’ll be ready to move in. There are a few more things I have to settle.”

“No rush dear.”

With a sympathetic look, Emma embraced Margaret.

“I’m here for you.”

Victoria didn’t waste any time, she quickly left through the front door anxious to visit her sister. As she skipped down the sidewalk she got giddy when she saw her sister approaching. She couldn’t wait to talk to her again. Stopping in front of her, she smiled as they became face to face, but immediately let it fade as she watched her sister walk past as if she was never there. Slightly confused, she held her hand out in front of her. Not sure what happened, Victoria sadly walked back to the house. She was so certain the ritual would work. She reentered the living room and stood by the mantle and said good-bye.

“Mom? Did you see that?”

“See what?”

“There was a bright light.”

“I didn’t see that.”

Looking at the picture on the mantel Margaret noticed something different about it. Rising from the couch, she went to retrieve the picture to study it closer. With a gasp, she turned to Emma and handed it to her. Immediately, Emma knew why her mom responded in that manner. She looked at her mom, with a look of shock and terror.

Emma stared at the picture of her sister and her dad together. The man was a young man in his thirties, but she knew who he was from the pictures her mom had shown her. Standing beside him was Victoria with the same sundress she was wearing when she tried to visit her sister days before with her dad before Emma was born.

October 27, 2023 18:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.