0 comments

Black American Christmas

Once, there was these two rival bakeries. One was ran by a woman, and the other by a man. They were middle-aged people with great taste in treats. The woman's name was Betsy Miracle and the man's name was Greg Harmony. They both lived in Fairbanks, Alaska. Their bakeries were just three blocks away from each other. One day, all the bakeries in Fairbanks got an invitation to an annual holiday festival. They both thought they would bake treats for the festival, since Christmas day was only four days away. The invitation stated that the annual holiday festival will be held tomorrow afternoon at 3:20. The next morning, Greg and Betsy got up very early to start baking. Betsy started baking holiday cookies and gingerbread women and men. Greg started baking holiday cupcakes and whipped up some eggnog. They both finished baking everything at 2:00. They then packed up everything and headed back home to start getting ready. Betsy was stuck in traffic. And she got stuck right next to Greg. Once they both saw each other, they decided to roll down their windows. "Greg.." said Betsy, grumpily. "Betsy..." said Greg, grumpily. Greg was the first one to smell Betsy's treats. "Did you make..treats?" Greg asked. "Yes, I did indeed." Betsy said proudly. "Oh, well.. Um..I um.. I made treats, too!" said Greg. Betsy sniffed the air. "Well, I can smell it. And it smells horrible! I hope you know I'm going to beat you because I have the best treats ever! And maybe next time you can make your treats smell better. Oh, wait! There won't be a next time! Because you'll be shut down and I'll be the best baker ever!" Betsy said with such confidence. The traffic light then turned green and everybody started going back home. When Betsy and Greg both got home, they rushed to the bathroom and took a warm shower. Once they both got out they started getting ready. They both got out of the house at 3:15. They rushed to the festival and got there just in time at 3:20. They started setting up their own booths on either side of the festival, of course. People started flooding in to the festival with their kids and family. They started by getting treats from both Greg and Betsy. One person went over to Greg's booth and then over to Betsy's. The customer said "Hi! I just tasted Mr. Harmony's treats on the other side of the festival. Now I'm trying yours! To see which one is better." Betsy asked "Oh, okay.. Well, what would you like today? I have gingerbread men and women, holiday cookies, and caramel apples!" The customer was deciding what to buy. "I'll have... a caramel apple please! Are there any drinks?" Betsy said " One caramel apple coming up! But we don't have any drinks. Sorry. But there is a concession stand over there!" She pointed to the concession stand next to the apple bobbing activity. She started to get the caramel apple and wrapped it in a festive caramel apple wrapping paper. "Thank you!" said the customer. "Of course! That'll be one dollar please." said Betsy smiling. The customer paid and then left, heading over to the concession stand. On the other hand, Greg's booth was going well. He had customers lining up to buy his cupcakes. Time flew by and it was already 5:00. Betsy and Greg started to clean up their booth and started packing it up. Then, someone came out of the Security's Room and announced on a mega-phone that there was going to be a movie in the movie area, and wanted everyone to start going there to watch Polar Express. Greg and Betsy wanted to see the movie so they started hurrying up. The movie would be starting at 5:19 and it was already 5:12. They had 6 more minutes and a lot more to pack up. Once it hit 5:19 exactly, they could hear the movie starting. Betsy ran first to the movie area. It was a long run and then Greg had started running to the movie area. The movie was in the middle of the festival and Greg and Betsy were on opposite sides. So, when they both met in the middle they hadn't been watching in front of them, and they bumped into each other. Betsy had fell down while Greg stumbled back a little. Betsy said "Ow! Watch it, Gregory!" in a painful voice. Greg said "Oh, sorry Betsy. I didn't see you there." He held out a hand to help Betsy up. "It's okay. I wasn't watching, either." She grabbed Greg's hand and felt a spark. "Did..Did you feel that? It was like an electric spark.." Greg lifted Betsy up. "Yeah, I did feel that." Both of their hearts started beating fast. Betsy said "We'd better get going. We don't wanna miss any more of the movie. Do you wanna walk with me?" Greg nodded. "Sure, Betsy." As they walked, they started to have form a conversation. "So, Greg. Um.. about that spark.." Greg turned his head to Betsy. "Yeah, it was kinda weird. It felt like those....love..sparks..." Betsy agreed. "Yes! That's exactly what I was thinking! It's weird that we have a lot in common."

"Yeah." said Greg. The wind gushed by them. Betsy got goosebumps. "Wow, it's very cold out here. I should've dressed warmly. After all, I am only wearing jeans, a blue T-Shirt and a cardigan." Greg decided to lend her his jacket. He took it off and gave it to her. "Here, have my jacket. I don't need it anyways. I'm always warm."

"Oh, wow. Thanks, Greg. You're really sweet." Betsy smiled. They started walking closer and closer together. Once they were close where they couldn't get closer, their hands started touching. Then they started holding hands. Both of them smiled. They walked in silence all the way to the movie, enjoying their bond. Once they got to the movie, they got a seat in the back. It was a good view. They could see the movie well. Their hands were still bonded together. Nothing could break it. At the end of the movie, Greg did something really bold. "Betsy Miracle, even thought we just started bonding together, I liked it. And I love you. So, I'm asking you to be my girlfriend. We could put our bakeries together and make one giant one. With my baking and your baking, we'll be inseparable. Everyone will love our treats. And we'll love each other. So, will you be my girlfriend?" Everyone stopped to look at this wonderful sight. Betsy started tearing up. "Oh, Greg! I'd thought you'd never ask! Yes! I'll be your girlfriend!" Everyone started clapping and cheering. They ended up chanting "Greg and Betsy!!" They kissed and lived happily ever after...

December 11, 2020 17:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.