2 comments

Science Fiction Suspense

Cigarette smoke hung in the air. A floral bedspread was bunched up at the bottom of the bed. Wrinkled white sheets covered the lumpy mattress. A painting of a grassy field hung on one of the wood panelled walls. A notebook and an ashtray sat on a small table.

Gary took a long drag on his cigarette and closed his eyes. He imagined he was somewhere that wasn’t a cheap motel room. He exhaled and opened his eyes, but the scene before him hadn’t changed. He tapped the cigarette against the cheap black ashtray and watched as the ashes scattered into the bowl.

Gary wondered what day it was. He suspected it was somewhere around the end of February. He recalled seeing tacky heart décor in a restaurant about a week ago. He wasn't sure what city he was even in anymore.

The door opened and Gary looked up.

“Coffee?” Ray asked as he offered a small paper cup to Gary. “Black, just the way you like it.”

Gary pushed his chair back from the small table and stood up. He crossed the room with a few short strides, accepted the coffee and took a sip.

“That’s terrible.” Gary grimaced.

“It would be better if you added cream,” Ray suggested.

“Cream will kill you. Too much fat.” Gary took another sip and allowed himself to grimace again as he swallowed. The coffee was hot at least. “I like my coffee black.”

“Black like your heart,” Ray murmured. “Ready to do this?”

“Yeah, yeah. Give me a second. I can’t believe the guy showed up here.” Gary shook his head. He took one final drag on the cigarette and butted out it in the ashtray. He wanted to get back to Seattle. Spring was around the corner. At least he thought it was.

“Maybe the third time’s the charm,” Ray suggested as he held the door open.

“Maybe.” Gary doubted they could be so lucky. He couldn't remember how long they had been on this case. He pulled his sport coat on and patted the gun in his shoulder holster.

The pair exited the room, crossed the parking lot and climbed into Gary’s black sedan. Gary started the car up and eased out of the stall. Ray reached over to adjust the dial on the radio.

“Leave it,” Gary ordered as a male voice droned through the speakers.

“Come on,” Ray begged. “We could listen to music.”

“No.” Gary turned on his indicator and eased out of the Super 8 parking lot. The drone of the announcer eased Gary’s nerves. He’d hoped the trip would provide a break in the monotony he’d experienced of late, but it only seemed to exacerbate it.

Gary navigated his way through the small-town streets. The roads were quieter than he anticipated and he pulled up in front of the travel agency. Large concrete planters bloomed with daffodils on either side of the door. He put the car in park and sighed.

“Why’s the damn place closed, Ray?” Gary looked at his watch. It was just after ten o’clock in the morning.

“Couldn’t say.” Ray shrugged.

“Find out.” Gary gestured toward the glass-fronted office.

Ray shook his head and exited the vehicle. Gary picked up his paper cup and took a sip of coffee as he looked around. There were a handful of cars parked on either side of the street, but most of the shops were dark. The restaurant on the corner was open and Gary watched as a middle-aged couple walked inside. Planters of tulips bloomed under the restaurant windows. Gary frowned. It seemed early for spring flowers. Ray opened the passenger door and climbed back in.

“Well?” Gary asked.

“Beats me. Unless it’s Sunday. They don’t open until noon on Sundays.” Ray shrugged.

“Is it Sunday?” Gary asked with an edge to his voice.

“I thought it was Saturday, but looking around I’d say it’s possible it’s Sunday.”

Gary closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. He didn’t like to travel for work. Every day blended into the next. As least when he stayed in one place he could mark the days off on his wall calendar. Gary opened his eyes and tapped a cigarette out of the pack in his coat. He held it between his lips and fished out a lighter.

“Really?” Ray asked.

“It’s my damn car,” Gary said as he ignited the lighter. He lit the cigarette and took a long drag. “We could hit his house.” He exhaled and Ray coughed. Gary smiled to himself.

“Not a chance. That’ll raise more questions.” Ray wound the window down.


***


The sun was higher in the sky when Ray nudged Gary.

“There!” Ray nodded toward a figure dressed in khakis, a dress shirt and a sports blazer.

The man was around five foot ten inches tall. His black hair was slicked back which made his widow’s peak even more evident. He had a swarthy complexion and walked with a swagger.

“I see him. Let’s just get this over with.” Gary butted his cigarette out in the half-full ashtray. He opened the car door and climbed out.

The man looked over as he walked toward the travel agency. Gary and Ray followed him to the door.

“Hello gentlemen. Are you two interested in a vacation?” the man asked. “We aren’t quite open yet, but if you’d like to come in you are welcome to wait!” The man grinned and blinked rapidly.

“We’d love that, thank you,” Ray said.

“Yeah, thanks,” Gary echoed. It unnerved him how the man blinked. He thought he’d be used to it by now.

“Excellent! I’m Rico, and I’m happy to help you out,” Rico said as he unlocked the door.

Gary and Ray looked at each other as the door opened. They followed Rico inside and stood in the front area of the office while Rico turned on the lights. Gary watched as Rico slipped a piece of plastic with the number three out of the calendar on the wall and replaced it with a four. He frowned.

“Is that the date?” Gary looked between Rico and Ray.

Ray made an apologetic look and shrugged.

“Aren’t you a funny one?” Rico laughed and Gary cringed. Rico blinked rapidly. “Yes, it’s March fourth! I’m almost ready for you.”

“Shit,” Gary cursed. He was sure it was still February. He was about to miss his mother’s birthday again.

“I don’t appreciate bad language. I have to ask you to refrain from it in future,” Rico chastised.

“You okay?” Ray asked.

“I’m fine.” Gary growled. If they could wrap this up now, Gary guessed they could cover enough ground today he might still make it back in time.

“So where did you gentlemen want to travel to?” Rico asked.

Gary sighed. He hated how the man blinked. It reminded him of a girl he’d dated once. She had batted her eyes at him whenever she wanted something, only Rico didn’t bat his eyes.

“Look Rico,” Gary said as he drew his gun and pointed it at the travel agent, “I’m going to need to ask you some questions.”

“Oh my!” Rico exclaimed

“Gary!” Ray grimaced.

“Just tell me what I want to know. Like why the hell do you blink so much?” Gary stepped toward Rico.

“I asked you not to swear,” Rico pointed out.

Gary gestured with the gun and indicated for Rico to move toward a nearby chair. Rico took a step toward the chair and then another. Gary followed close behind.

“I don’t give a shit. Ray, keep an eye on the door,” Gary barked.

Rico tsked, as he reached out and grabbed the back of the chair. He picked it up and flung it in one swift motion. Gary ducked out of the way. Rico ran toward the back of the office.

“Shit!” Ray cursed again.

Rico ducked through a doorway and slammed the door closed behind him. Ray ran to the door. The doorknob rattled in his hand. He slammed his fist into the door.

“Just open up, Rico!” he yelled.

Ray heard a loud pop on the other side of the door.

“Open the damn door or I’ll shoot it open!”

“Gary, come on,” Ray called from the front of the office.

Gary appraised the door. He’d broken down sturdier ones than this. He nodded to himself, and slammed his shoulder into the door. He backed up and slammed his shoulder into it again. On the third try, the door frame splintered and the door flung open. Gary staggered into the small dark bathroom.

“You got him?” called Ray.

Gary blinked in confusion at the empty, windowless room.

“Shit. Shit. Shit!” Gary kicked the door frame. He turned and out of the office.

“I thought we weren’t going to do it that way, again.” Ray sighed.

“Shut up and get in the car.” Gary turned the ignition on and looked at the clock. If traffic cooperated, he could make it back in time for his mother’s birthday dinner.

March 13, 2021 04:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Catherine Hill
23:03 Mar 17, 2021

This is great! Love it! I wasn’t expecting the twist.

Reply

Kelly Pawlik
22:28 Mar 18, 2021

Thanks, Catherine!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.