0 comments

Fiction Speculative Indigenous

It was almost time for the annual ball for the 'Forever Forrest Foundation'. However, this year it would be held in early December and located at a remote cabin in Colorado. As opposed to it's usual July 20th summer celebration in sunny California. There was a small group of protestors that were adamant that their presence would only do more harm than good. The leaders, Chogan Granganimeo and Taregan Menatona, were of Algonquian decent. They had requested a meeting a few days in advance of the annual festivities. The owner and co-owner of the foundation, Paul Mingiati and Carl Stevenson, happily obliged. They were to meet at a local cafe' for coffee. The group leaders were prompt and on time. However, the other two men kept them waiting for quite some time. When the two did finally arrive they ordered their coffee along with breakfast. It seems as if they weren't taking the matter seriously. 

Chogan; It is great of you to finally join us. May we proceed?

Paul; Yes, yes. Please. 

Carl motioned with his hand to hurry up which confused Chogan and angered Taregan. Taregan stood up abruptly, but was coaxed into sitting back down by his confidant. 

Chogan; Algonquian folklore tells of a man whom was banished to the woods for reasons of being selfish. These woods are sacred place. They are judge and jury. The man was suffering from starvation, but there wasn't any food around. He heard a maniacal laugh from a young child echo throughout the dense forest. This was no child though. It was the malevolent spirt that guards these woods. The selfish man sold his soul to the evil spirit in exchange for food. He was bestowed a deer carcass. When the spirit asked for him to share... he declined, which angered the spirit. She turned the carcass into a moldering, rotting corpse midway of him devouring the meat. Maggots poured from the mans mouth and he was cursed to be one in the same as the decrepit corpse. Forever a slave to the spirit of the forest...doomed bounty hunter for guilty souls. They call him the wendigo. 

Paul was unamused, and immediately interrupted the man. 

Paul; So, you mean to tell me that if I don't postponed this event an angry deer is going to come and kill us all? 

Both men began to chuckle. Paul shook his head and motioned with his hand that he'd had enough. 

Paul; Look. Boys. I appreciate the tenacity and effort, but this is just pure nonsense. I've held this celebration for almost twenty-five years now, and no one has died. Let alone been injured. I respect your culture and all.... but I can't just postponed an important invent based on some silly ghost story. 

The men grabbed their cups and plates then retreated to a back boot.

Infuriated, Taregan stormed out of the restaurant slamming the door behind him. Chogan, however, took things in stride. He wasn't concerned. His faith was strong and he knew there'd be repercussions for their actions. The man walked slowly to their table. Looking them both in the eyes- he smiled.

Chogan; I do not give permission for such on these lands, and for that you will be punished. But don't say that I didn't forewarn you. 

He then stepped back and proceeded to walk out of the dinner. The men brushed it off. Continuing with their previous conversation as they ate quietly. Days later an eerie winter storm began to settle. Not the ideal weather for a soiree. Yet, it didn't deter them one bit. The cabin was decorated lavishly. The huge fireplace was freshly lit, and the tables were set accordingly. Everything was seemingly perfect. Satisfied with himself, all Paul needed was a good turnout despite the storm. Out of the hundreds of guest only a handful had made an appearance about thirty-five guest in total. The two men were ultimately disappointed, but the party must go on. They couldn't disappoint the few guests that they did have. A camera man set up his camera in the middle of the room pointed directly at the podium. There were seven tables each seating five guest. They ordered their expensive meals adorn with overly priced champagne. While waiting for their meals Paul decided to go ahead and deliver his speech. A toast if you will to those few and plenty.

Paul; I'm assuming that many couldn't attend because of treacherous conditions, and the rest because they were afraid to catch a cold. To those few brave souls who've attended to support me, and my business partner Carl, of course...We graciously appreciate your presence. Tonight I want to talk to you about a new proposal. As you may know the forrest around here are abundant. I propose that we utilize half of this land to make room for a ski resort. Recycling all the trees that are cut down in the process of course. By doing so we can show others what we can do with natural resources without destroying the entire forest in the process. The money will contribute to the towns every need, and the animal habitat would still remain in contact. I can assure you that no one animal would be harmed in the process. 

The guest suddenly erupted in cheers. Raising their glasses in support. Paul was slightly annoyed by the interruption but he raised his glass with a huge smile on his face. Carl came up to stand by his partner and raised his glass.

Carl; Thank you everybody! Let's give a toast to the man of the hour and business extroidener... Paul Mingiati! 

They proceeded to drink from their cups. Everyone was in seemingly good spirits. That was until the front door was blasted open by a rush of extremely cold air. You could hear a shrill noise as if the wind was howling, and that is when the wendigo appeared. Standing as tall as the trees themselves, his flesh hanging from his ribcage that jutted out of his empty chest cavity. With eyes so deep you could see the pain and agony of all the lost souls. His jagged antlers glistened against the crystal white snow. His snarl was horrible as his breathe was foul. The decrepit creature sprang forth with great endurance. Spearing both Paul and Carl in the chest with his pristine antlers. Blood gushed as the deer thrashed them around like ragdolls. Eventually, throwing their lifeless bodies aside, and began bucking at the other guest as well. Some of the guest tried to flee and were trampled. There were many who dashed out in the frigid cold refusing to take shelter. Ultimately succumbing to frostbite. A bitter cold death. As the injured guest continued to panic the deer reckless knocked the candles and center pieces of the table tops. Setting the entire place a blaze. Through all of the death and destruction a little girl stood glancing at the surviving cabin members with a maniacal grin. Then the flames receded from a gush of wind and just like that the wendigo was gone again. In the days following the townspeople set up a memorial for those thirty-seven whom were lost. Chogan was amongst the supporters. He walked up and put a white rose next to Paul and Carl's picture. Bowing his head.

Chogan; And she came in bitter as the cold wind. Seeking vengeance on all those who dare destroy her land. Summoning her creature to battle at her side. The wendigo cometh' and take it all way. 

The cabin workers stood there shaking furiously. Fear could be seen in their eyes. Their faces frozen with terror. Many resigned to show respect to the malevolent spirt and her decrepit creature. Not much later the group of protesters made their plea and the cabin resort was reinvented as a historical museum, and on the mantle could be seen...a small tattered photograph taped together of the guests beside a perfect picture of the wendigo. A reminder for all those who come to see...to respect mother nature, the land, the spirits, but most importantly the wendigo.

July 02, 2021 18:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.