Happy Anniversary

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Fiction

"Good morning Darling."

"G' morning."

"Did you sleep well ?"

" Just not long enough."

" Ah, Tibby ?"

"Yes, Tibby. That cat had me up at 6.30. Bad enough on a week day. She didn't really want anything when I got up. I think she just likes to see me up and working....like the humans around here."

"Coffee smells good."

" Coffee always smells good....help yourself, there's plenty perc'd."

" Thank you love. I'll just toast a couple of slices."

"Oh, no full English breakfast ?"

" You're not offering and I'm not cooking,"

"Saving your appetite for later ?"

" Er. something like that....pass the butter please Angie....thanks."

" So, what are we doing ?"

"We....er, What do you fancy doing ?"

" Well, with the kids at Mum's and the sun shining, what do you think I fancy doing ?"

"I don' really know. I'd like it to be what you want to do, your choice, you know."

"Well, in that case, a drive down to a pub on the Thames,somewhere really nice for lunch.You know, one of those places where the garden sweeps down to the river and you can eat outside if the weather is fine. Can we do that ?"

" Of course ! Just the thing ! Glad that's what you'd like to do too I know just the place!"

" O.K. Honey, I'll just hang out these towels and things.....might as well take advantage of the sun........la la de da da day"

"Hello, Tommy ? "

" Yes Jim, who else did you think would be answering my mobile ? "

" Yeah, well, I have to be quick Tommy, Angie's hanging out some washing and I need to get off the phone."

" Ha ha, Hen pecked mate ?"

" Look Tommy, I've just looked at the calendar and seen that the date has a dirty great red ring around it . It's our anniversary and I'd forgotten it.":

" Ouch ! When's your funeral ?"

"Yeah, well, I can't go to the match this afternoon mate. You know how it is."

"Oh Jim ! We've been looking forward to this London derby for weeks. "

" I know. Give my ticket to Justin or Peter. Good thing you have both tickets."

" O.K. Jim. I get the picture. See yer."

"Hello Jody, Look I forgot our anniversary."

"You didn't !"

" Well, yes I did, but I've remembered it now and I need my favourite sister..,.."

" Your only sister."

" Yes,that too. I need a present, a nice present that Angie will like. Do you think, could you, that is...oh, can you buy something nice, gift wrapped , and pop around with it and slip it to me, on the quiet-like ?"

" Yes, yes. yes. What about some Chanel number 5. ?"

" Whatever you think....you can manage it, I know you can. "

" Leave it to me. "

" I owe you one Jody."

"I'll remind you. 'Bye Jim."

" 'Bye Jody."

"Who was that Love ?"

" Oh, Bloody Telemarketeers. I know they have to make a living, but a Saturday morning, it's annoying."

" Yes, it is."

"I'm just going to water the garden. All this sun is making it droop a bit."

"O.K."

"Hello Jody, taken up a new part time job have you ?"

"Hello Angie, what do you mean, a new job ?"

" According to Jim it was telemarketeers on the phone, I dialed up the last number because he looked so guilty and I got you....what's up ? "

" Oh, I give you one guess why a sister would be getting a life-saving call on your anniversary. Oh, happy anniversary by the way."

" Thank you Jody ! I knew it. He wants you to buy me a present."

" Got it in one. I suggested Chanel number 5."

"Good for you, oh, and make it a big bottle."

"Will do."

" Better go. 'Bye for now Love."

"'Bye Angie."

" What a wonderful day it has been Jim. Sitting beside the Thames and enjoying a pretty garden and a beautiful lunch, then home to steak, grilled by you and served with a salad and wine. I loved that Brie you bought to finish, and then that fantastic present."

" Oh, I'm glad you like it, and after all I get to enjoy it when you wear it."

" Oh, that's sweet. You enjoyed the day too, didn't you Jim.?"

" Of course I did."

" Good. I mean, you weren't just doing it for me because you thought I would be mad if you forgot our anniversary, were you ? You did enjoy the day anyway ?"

" Sure, of course I did. It was wonderful, almost like courting again, only better. "

" I'm so glad Honey because... well..|

" What is it Darling, what's the matter ?"

"You won't be cross will you ?"

" Why on earth should I be cross."

" Well, I tricked you."

" You tricked me ? How ?"

" Today is the 16th. right ?"

" Yes, of course it's the 16th."

" But it's the 16th pf July and we got married on the 16th. of August."

" What ? You mean today wasn't our anniversary ? You arranged for you Mum to have the kids, you circled the date on the calendar and you were giving me a hard time,,,,what was that all about ? "

" Jody and I were talking about how men never remember anniversaries and so on, and I said I bet you could be persuaded that our anniversary was on a different ...... now you are getting angry, I can see , you are mad at me."

" No, no, well...you made me miss the game and....well you roped Jody into this too, and that perfume didn't leave me with much change our of a hundred quid... but it was a wonderful day....and you won't get another big bottle of perfume next month ! "

" I know, I know, it was a sort of joke and it kind of escalated. I shall cook you a special meal in August and buy you....well, I don't know yet....but a nice surprise."

" O.K. In the meantime,the kids are away ..... an early night ?"

"Yes Dear, an early night."

ENDS.

January 09, 2021 21:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.