Tabatha’s journey

Submitted into Contest #41 in response to: Write about an animal who goes on a journey.... view prompt

0 comments

Kids

Prompt

An animal who goes on a journey


Tabatha’s Journey 


Tabatha walked into the house and roamed around. There wasn’t anyone home, just her. 


Seemed like a nice place to stay. She walked into the bedroom and made herself comfortable on the bed. A snooze seemed like a good idea. 


An hour later she opened her eyes and looked up at the person who most likely lived there. 


She stood and smiled. Certainly this person would think she was adorable. 


“Who are you and how did you get into my house?”


Tabatha, stared at her not understanding what what this person was saying. 


“Okay, you are cute and all, but you can’t stay here.”


Still unable to understand, Tabatha blinked her eyes. 


“Oh god you are adorable. How can kick you out. I don’t know where you came from, but you can stay.”


Tabatha meowed and rubbed against the person’s body. The person sat on the bed and petted the cat.


A year prior, Tabatha, accidentally got out of the house. It was a warm spring day and she wanted to chase a butterfly. She tired of that and began exploring. Suddenly she realized she was lost. She tried desperately to find her way back, but just got more lost. She didn’t know what to do. She was tired, hungry and scared. She at last found a bush and hid under it. She closed her eyes and fell asleep. 


She woke to the sound of approaching foot steps. Peering though the bush she saw human shoes. Fear struck her as they got closer. She raised her back and hissed in hopes that would scare them away. 


A man chuckled. “You are not very scary. Are you lost?” He reached down and picked her up. 


Tabatha hissed and struggled. She did not know this person. 


The man almost dropped her, but managed to hold on to her. He carried from the bush to his house. Once inside he set her down. 


“I bet you are hungry. He poured some waster in a bowl and set it on the floor. He then opened a can of tuna fish, placed it on a plate and set it next to the water. 


Tabatha gobbled it down as if she had not eaten in days. The man chuckled while he watched her eat. 


His wife came home. Within minutes she was sneezing. “What’s going on? Did we get a cat? I can’t stop sneezing.”


Tabatha came into the room and rubbed against the wives legs. She looked down at the cat, then at her husband. We can’t keep it. It has to go to a shelter. I can’t stop sneezing,” she said and sneezed. 


“I’m sorry kitty, you have to go,” he said and picked Tabatha up. He took her outside and placed her in the car. A half an hour they were at the nearest shelter. 


Tabatha looked out the window. She didn’t know where they were, but it didn’t look like a house. 


The man reached for her. She hissed and clawed him. He yelled out in pain. Despite his better better judgement he opened the car door. Tabatha jumped out and ran off. 


The pain subsided and the man got out of the car and looked for Tabatha, but it was to no avail. 


Tabatha came to a field and wandered through the deep grass. Exhausted, she stopped and rested. She lay there sleeping until morning. The sun was high in the sky when she walked out of field. 


She looked around, she was back in a yard and there were many houses none of them looked familiar, but it was back where humans were. 


One house in particular looked like a nice place to stay. She walked around it until she found an open window. She jumped through it, landing on a table. Jumping off the table she explored the basement until she found stairs. 


At the top of the stairs was an open door. On the other side of the was the kitchen. Tabatha walked further into the house and eventually into a bed room. Ah a bed. It looked very comfy and inviting. She wasted no time. She jumped on to it, lay down, got nozzled into the comforter, and dozed off.


Tabatha was happy. This wasn’t the person she used to live with, but she was very nice and seemed this would be her new forever home. 


But it was short lived. The lady couldn’t keep the cat. Her land lady wouldn’t let her. So she put an add in Craig’s list and put up fliers. 


A girl answered the add. She had lost her kitten and thought Tabatha might be it. She and her mom went to the lady’s house to find out.


The lady opened the door. Tabatha looked up at the two people then at her person. What was going on, she wondered.

The little looked down at Tabatha and shook her head. “Not my kitty.”


“Would you like to have her any way, I can’t keep her and I think you would like her.”


The little girl swept Tabatha into her arms. Tabatha hissed and struggled until she was free. She scurried back into the house. Didn’t the nice lady want her? 


“Please wait here. I’ll go get her.”


“Kitty come back, you can’t stay with me.” The lady caught up to Tabatha and grabbed her. She took her back to the open door. Once again Tabatha struggled until she was free. This time she didn’t run back into the house. She ran down the street. 


She saw a car with an open door. She jumped inside. Another car, maybe this one would take her back where she started. 


The door closed and the car moved. Tabatha stayed on the seat and didn’t move about. After what seemed like an eternity the car stopped. Tabatha looked out the window. There seemed something familiar about this place. 


A person opened the door. “Oh my goodness.” She cried out. 


Tabatha leaped into her arms. It was her person and she was home. 


Her person held the cat in her arms. “Tabatha you are home. I’m so glad to see you again. I thought you were gone forever. I looked for you for such a long time, but could not find you. 


Tabatha was so glad to have finally made it back home. She never wanted to leave her person’s arms. 


Kathy took her cat inside and set her on the floor. “Come on honey I’ll get you something to eat.”


Tabatha followed her into the kitchen. Finally she knew she would not be given away and she would never ever wander off again. 

















May 11, 2020 07:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.