0 comments

Lesbian LGBTQ+

Warning: mild LGBTQ+ and mild cursing

That’s the thing about this city, it's always alive. Every bit of it. I rush into the graffitied tunnel, going along the walkway apart from the cars. This tunnel has so much personality. And I will stick with it even though I'm not alive because of it. Because opportunities are limited here. It's alive from the nature just at the edge of the city stretching to the mountains, one with a star on top. To the city which Even in the county, where everything seems to be I love this city. I grew up here. I am running late to my date at a new sushi place downtown. I have a car, but my older brother is using it for a month until his company car is delivered. Thus, I decided to walk. Now, I will be late to probably, the only lesbo I haven't met in this city. Not from lack of trying, of course. I take a shortcut through a sketchy alleyway, I can see the neon green lettering on the restaurant, spelling out "Papa's Pizza". I don't know why she picked a crappy restaurant like this, the pizza is far from ideal. It is a tiny, square pizzeria, the tables outside expanding to in front of the other shops. I peek through the window because there is a one person line outside. Acceptable as there is no space in the restaurant. I see her. At least, I think it's her. She is sitting near the counter of the restaurant. Maybe it's my imagination, but she seems to be waiting for someone. She has shoulder length hair that I can only describe as peach, and olive skin with a . I am staring at her, through a window that has become fogged with my breath, so that I don't realize that the line has disappeared. I go in. I can't quite pronounce her name, Taylainna. So I think how to catch her attention without trying to pronounce her name. “Hey,” I say and she turns around. “Are you Tay-lain-a?” Oh my god, I said is wrong. “Nope, but you would know me by that. Cammy with a y?” Don't be weird. Don't be weird. “I'm Cammy. What do you mean by I would know you by Taylainna?” I ask. “I mean, I don't use my real name online. My name is Londyn." Play it cool. “Oh." Damn it. What should I say? I don't know what to say. She obviously doesn't either hence the silence. “So,” she says, trying to suppress the silence, “How are you today?" I think she knows that was a weird thing to say. “Good, sorry I was late. My brother's got my car.” I manage to choke out a bit of randomness. “That's the worst. I mean, I like walking but…” She realizes she let down her shield. One of twenty, but still she tries to back it up. “Do you wanna order?” She asks. “Yes, you must have heard my stomach growling.” Hey, she let down her shield. I do too. “What do you want? I love cheese and am a vegetarian.” Her thin lips twist into a happy smile, as opposed to a polite one. “Me too. I mean, I'm trying. Bacon totally doesn't count.” I laugh. “What about a veggie pizza?" She glances to the counter. “Sure! Without peppers if you don't mind.” I haven't really screwed up yet. Keep it up Cammy! “Um, yeah peppers are gross. Or at least the red ones. We should go outside. It's so cramped in here. I can go order if you want." I get up and she says, “That'd be great. I mean, both things.” I can tell she's silently punishing herself for saying “I mean both things.” It is a look I know too well. I decide I like her. I go up to the counter and order. “Medium veggie pizza, no peppers, with pizza rolls on the side.” I tell the lanky, young waiter as he scribbles down something on a beat up pad. “Ok, number thirty-four.” He hands me a number and I smile at him. “Thanks!” When I get back to the table Londyn is already standing up. “Do you want to go outside?” “Yes.” I pick out a table farthest from the restaurant and sit. “Random question. What's your favorite movie?” I ask. I'm determined to find out more about Londyn. “Harry Potter and The Half-Blood-Prince.” I adore Harry Potter. “I love Harry Potter”, I spout, “but the movies are messed up.” We certainly have had the most peculiar conversation. “I know, but you asked me my favorite movie, not book." I give a laugh that accidentally sounds like a grunt. NO! “Fair point. Harry Potter 7 is far superior though." 

5 years later 

We are cuddled up on the couch, too absorbed in the movie to fool around. Dumbledore has just died and Londyn won't take her eyes off. “Still think 7 is superior?” I try to scoot away from her on the couch, only to realize it's a love seat. “You like 7. Don't lie.” “Well, yeah I do, but I can't have favorites?” “Not if they're bad.” She sighs. 

2 years later (from the 5 years)

The social service lady who introduces herself as Bea leads us down a hall. Uggh. More paperwork. It is maybe even worse than the cost of adoption. Londyn was literally jumping up and down, something I thought only children do, waiting for me to get ready to go. We are meeting Annisa, an Indonesian baby who just got here on a plane. Surprisingly, what awaits us (immediately at least) is not paperwork, but a woman holding a baby. She is wrapped in a quilt with puzzle pieces on the squares. Annie Londyn wants to call her. I prefer Annisa, it sounds so elegant and regal. “Hello Annie” I hear Londyn call. “Hello future.” I whisper so not even Londyn can hear. Why did I ever think that this city had trapped me. Nothing can trap me, make me not alive, I am felicitous.

March 20, 2021 00:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.