2 comments

Friendship Inspirational

Silent Star

“But I don’t want to go!” whined Lily. “You know that concerts aren’t my thing,” which was true. Lily had always been the more I-would-rather-read-a-book girl. Gaia wasn’t having it though.

“You’ve stayed in every day this week. For God’s sake, go have some fun!” she scolded her friend. And after staring each other down Lily eventually broke her gaze.

“Fiiiine. But it doesn't mean I’ll enjoy myself….” Lily agreed. Gaia interrupted her with a shriek.

“EEEEEK! Yes, yes, and yes! I’m so excited, we’re gonna have so much fun!” She then proceeded to pull her friend into a giant closet to choose outfits for the night. At least Lily’s mother was going to be happy because she’s always wanted Lily to be more adventurous.

They ended up deciding their outfits for each other. Lily was wearing high-waisted black jean shorts and a black and purple tie-dye, short sleeve crop top with chunky black boots. Her hair was in pigtail braids and had little dull silver earrings in. Gaia was wearing white jean shorts and a white tube top with a pastel yellow cropped jacket. She was wearing laced-up short heels. Her hair was up in the classic half up half down style and had dangly yellow earrings in.

“That doesn't look like me at all,” said Lily, trying to pull down her crop top. Gaia slapped her hand.

“You’re not supposed to pull it down! And you look great - maybe it’ll be your new look,” she told Lily. “Let’s head out!”

“Are you sure Uber is safe? You know I’ve been reading and…” rambled Lily as Gaia ignored her. As they got into the car Gaia told the driver the address and they sped away. 

Lily didn’t understand why Gaia wanted her to come with - or even why she wanted to be friends with her. Lily was the classic shy girl. She loved to read, could draw pretty well, played badminton, and even sang. She had excellent grades and never really got out much, which, frankly, didn’t bother her one bit.

Gaia on the other hand was very popular. She loved to go out with friends and big groups of people, flirt with guys, and go shopping. She was smart but made sure to always keep her grades at a low A or high B so people wouldn’t think she’s a nerd. Unlike most of her friends though, she loved hanging out with Lily - they were so opposite that it worked (as strange as that sounds) They even looked different. Lily was pale and had short, this brown hair while Gaia was mixed and had long, super curly black hair.

As the two pulled up to the concert Gaia took out her money and was paying and thanking the Uber driver while all Lily could do was stare. The concert was ginormous and packed with so many people. Gaia took her hand and led her to and through the entrance.

Gaia saw her other friends, so, naturally, she went over to them. Lily didn’t think they like her very much so she decided to stay close to them, but not too close. Their conversation was as boring as it always was - hair, drama, and boys. Is there nothing else people could talk about?

She didn’t like leaving her friend but something had caught her eye so she left Gaia with her friends. She wandered around looking at all the different people who were there. So many different people. So many different colors, sizes, and ethnicities yet they all were here tonight. Deep in thought, Lily crashed straight into someone.

“AHHH! I’M SORRY!” she yelled because it was so loud. She had crashed into a guy.

“NAW! YOU’RE GOOD!” he replied, looking at her. He studied her for a minute then said: “COME WITH ME!” she looked at him skeptically but he just returned her gaze with a look with raised eyebrows that meant: Come-on-I’m-not-gonna-hurt-you-or-anything. Figuring she was in a public place and she had her phone she decided to follow him.

As they weaved through the crowd she noticed several people point to him but figured they must be acquaintances. As he led her closer to the stage though, she began to wonder who the guy was. He was getting too close to the VIP area and she tried to yell at him but he couldn’t hear her. She grabbed his arm and pointed to the VIP sign. He just nodded, smiled, and continued to walk. She wasn’t sure this was a good idea, but she was intrigued for sure. They got all the way to the backstage area and, to her amazement, the security guards let them enter. 

They walked into a smallish room and the noise of the crowd was barely audible.

“Hey,” he said, smiling. “I’m Eric.” she raised an eyebrow.

“I’m Lily,” she responded. “How’d they let you through?” she asked him. His smile seemed to die down a bit but he responded nonetheless.

“Wagner,” he sighed. “That’s my last name,” and Lily gasped. 

“OH MY GOD, YOU’RE ERIC WAGNER!!! THE ERIC WAGNER!” she screeched. “I’m sorry, my friend loves you so much! She’s the one who brought me. Personally I never really listened to your music or know much about you, but I’m sure your music’s great!” She was talking to the singer who was to perform at the concert!

“That’s cool…” he replied, looking down.

“I’m sorry, that was rude of me. People probably never talk to you as just a normal person once they know who you are,” she apologized. Eric looked so surprised - no one had ever thought that he cared about that. “Why’d you wanna bring me here?” she asked.

“You’re a musician,” he replied simply. Wondering how in the world he knew she was musical he answered her unasked question. “When you crashed into me and stopped after your head was bobbing right to the beat and your foot at another. That’s special. And, I know this is crazy, but would you want to open for me?” he asked her. She looked at him in shock. This crazy, popular musician wanted her to open because he saw her bob her head?

“Uh..I-I’m not...that good…” she tried to say but he handed her a mic. Then he said one word that helped her:

“Try.”

So she did.

It was beautiful - perfect. Eric looked at her in amazement and just nodded as if saying I knew you were good

“So, will you do it?” he asked Lily. Of course, she wanted to but there were thousands of people there. But this could also be the opportunity of a lifetime. 

“All right. I’ll do it. When do I go on?”

“In ten minutes,” he answered. Gosh, ten minutes! That’s barely any time and she doesn't know what song to sing! She asked Eric what song she should sing and he just said any original song she wanted. Was this guy a mind reader? How did he know she’s written originals?

It took almost 5 minutes to get to the stage and 4 minutes for mics to be set up. Makeup for another half. Eric reckoned it was a world record. And, before she knew it she was being pushed onto the stage.

She slowly made her way across the stage, looking out into a blackness of heads. Her heart pounded as she neared the solitary mic. She thought she was going to explode from fear. Would people hate her? What if something went wrong? Then, as if by magic, she saw Gaia in the thousands of people that were there. Gaia smiled at her, telling her she was gonna kill it. Lily smiled back and, with no introduction, began to sing. By the time she got to the chorus, the crowd was loving it. Not knowing whether to sway or shout.

Under the sand

You’ll never understand

My secrets are under the sand

Under the sand

Under the sand 

Where no one ever understands

Under the sand….

She finished the song - and the audience was silent. She almost started to freak out when she heard a loud whoop - it was Gaia. But, it was followed by another. And another. And another and another and another. Soon the crowd was going wild and she knew this had to be one of the best days of her life. Bowing, she exited the stage.

May 15, 2021 03:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Emily Juarez
17:51 May 17, 2021

This story is awesome! i enjoyed reading it and connected to lily, as a shy and anti-social person. I loved seeing her get outside of her comfort zone and seeing her have a good time in the end. Great job!

Reply

21:37 May 19, 2021

Thank you so much for your feedback, I'm happy you liked the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.